Defensive Carry Pistol - Backup Plan - Need Some Input

This is a discussion on Defensive Carry Pistol - Backup Plan - Need Some Input within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's where my mind has me today... If, and I realize nothing is said or done yet, but if the current administration passes some draconian ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Defensive Carry Pistol - Backup Plan - Need Some Input

VIP Member

Here's where my mind has me today...

If, and I realize nothing is said or done yet, but if the current administration passes some draconian laws and they successfully take the semi-auto market and strangle it, I will still (presumably) get to keep my G19 that I carry daily. However, since it's never been much of an issue before, I only really have one 'carry' size gun. I have other options but none of them would fit my 'ideal' carry weapon criteria... This is obviously not an issue unless something catastrophic happens to my current carry gun, but it has started concerning me. What if I have a kb and lose my current carry weapon? Or any other unforeseen malady.

What are your thoughts, plans, or actions given this situation? Do you guys keep more than one 'ideal' carry gun, or even a spare identical to your chosen carry weapon? Is falling back on something heavier, bigger or whatever an acceptable option or should I make an effort, however unlikely, to find a replacement? Am I over-thinking all of this and I just need to relax and not worry about something that hasn't happened after something else that hasn't happened?
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    In my search for the perfect cc, I'll carry either a G19, G26, G30, any number of 1911s, a 3"1911, j-frame, PM9, PF9, or LCP. Any one of those is my "ideal carry gun", depending on the occasion.

I've enjoyed the G19 so much that I was tempted to buy another. However, not wanting to attempt to justify that logic to Mrs Whec, I just picked up a spare barrel, springs as well as a healthy assortment of magazines.

It makes sense to have at least more than one carry gun, as with any man-made thing, they are prone to eventual failure.
    gottabkiddin likes this.

I have at least two of all my favorite carry guns.....looking for a third Glock 19. You just never know............
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

My EDC is a GLOCK 19, the wife "has" a GLOCK 26. I suppose that would be my next option if hell should freeze over, Bloomberg joins the NRA, or any other gun-grabbing libtard grows a brain cell containing common sense and my GLOCK 19 should fail.

I have some other options after the GLOCKs although not as good.

No it is not a bad idea to have a back-up gun.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I have three guns in my carry rotation. Depending on circumstances. 1. S&Wm&p9c general carry home defense. 2. Bersa thunder 380. Summer carry for something quick to grab and go. 3. Kel-tec p-32. for ultra deep concealment and when riding my bike. And if something happens to any of those I might switch back to a wheelgun.

Get another G19 & some replacement parts & some more mags & an ammo cache. Yet isn't it interesting that 5 of 6 posts (so far) in this thread specifically mention the GLOCK 19? And that everyone in the conversation has over 1000 posts? IMHO, we're not so much smarter than anyone else, just more...experienced.
    First Sgt likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

NMB
    J-Frame is my EDC

1911 is my home defense / carry gun in a pinch.

If all else fails, I have a ruger gp100 with 4 inch barrel that is rock solid.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

My plan is to go back to revolvers in 357 and 44 for carry. I will keep the Glocks for "In case of war break glass". I have kept up my revolver skill set, I just need to polish my reloads a bit more.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Re: Defensive Carry Pistol - Backup Plan - Need Some Input

I not for playing games of conjecture, try never to. Nothing has happened yet and I don't forsee it, nor do I fall a victim to the loud mouth ranting threats. Nothing will turn me frantic. I'm going to continue about my business as I always do, confident that I will go unaffected by anything that might happen. I'm a "cross the bridge when I get there" kind of guy. Premeditated aint my thing...

That said, I only collect pistols that are CCW worthy. I'm not into these overthetop high capacity double stack, guns. I'm not Rambo, this isn't a war zone, I'm not going to be up against an army or a gang and were I, my gun would stay holstered and I'd use my gift of gab. I want and have no more than 8 and no less than 6 round capacity guns.

So to answer the question, every gun I have, with exception of my little m4 style 22lr carbine, is a potential carry/back up carry piece. And they are all the same platform/style, so essentially, other than differences in dimensions, they're all the same gun... 1911like, SAO trigger & manual hammer.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

VIP Member
    If you're happy with what you have, go buy another one. Keep it as a spare.

You could also "experiment" with something else that tickles your fancy. If it is acceptable, hang on to it .

Whichever way you choose, I think it is always a good idea to have fall back gun. You never know, you may want to send your gun in for service. Also,if you should have to use it for its intended purpose, you can expect to get it back from the police shortly after the next ice age. In thst situation, it would be nice to have another gun ready to go right away.
    oneshot likes this.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Get another G19 & some replacement parts & some more mags & an ammo cache. Yet isn't it interesting that 5 of 6 posts (so far) in this thread specifically mention the GLOCK 19? And that everyone in the conversation has over 1000 posts? IMHO, we're not so much smarter than anyone else, just more...experienced.
    Yeah. It has me a little sick to think that I'm, in any way, considering buying something solely because of the potential situation... But I guess I am. Probably have an easier time finding a needle in a haystack, but I'm really wishing I had a second G19 warming the bench in the safe.

The biggest problem I see is if, and yes I'm saying if again, but if they drop the hammer on semi-autos, I'm going to be inclined to be a heck of a lot less active training, or training with my carry gun specifically, if I don't have a good backup plan. From a guy that shoots a lot, this doesn't appeal to me.
    NRA Life Member

Well, in a "WORST POSSIBLE CASE" scenario, I guess we need to start stockpiling black powder ingredients (sulphur, salt peter & charcoal), lead wheel weights (cast mini-bullets) & compound bows. Then sharpen-up old lawn mower blades into machetes.

I shoot a lot as well, but still have (a tiny bit of) trust that there still are some rational, reasonable thinkers somewhere in this country that...aren't on this forum. But I could be wrong!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    I have this funny feeling that sometime in the near future there is going to be a ban on carrying a semi-auto handgun.

I've never been a big fan of wheel-guns but lately, every time I walk by the gun case, it seems like it might be time to add a wheel-gun or two to the collection.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    I have this funny feeling that sometime in the near future there is going to be a ban on carrying a semi-auto handgun.

I've never been a big fan of wheel-guns but lately, every time I walk by the gun case, it seems like it might be time to add a wheel-gun or two to the collection.
    I'd hate to be stuck carrying a revolver. No offense to you wheel gun guys; it's just not my thing.
    NRA Life Member

I'd MUCH RATHER be "stuck carrying a revolver" than being forced to defend myself with my swift wit and a leaf rake.
    Doghandler and ws76133 like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links