Anyone carry a .22 cal. pistol? - Page 2

Anyone carry a .22 cal. pistol?

This is a discussion on Anyone carry a .22 cal. pistol? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 10thmtn I don't think there is a gun made that is small enough to conceal in the current fashion for women's shorts ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Anyone carry a .22 cal. pistol?

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I don't think there is a gun made that is small enough to conceal in the current fashion for women's shorts and tank tops.

Those "clothing" items are so itty bitty than you cannot even conceal a cell phone in them - much less a handgun. You may want to change your wardrobe a bit.

As far as trigger reach and your hand size, you're really going to need to go to a gun store and try different guns out. As a general rule, the higher the weight/lower the caliber - the less felt recoil. Good luck!
    You are so right about todays "fashon"..... I (or my daughter for that matter) wouldn't be caught dead to some of todays womens/girls "clothing". My tanks are worn fairly loose, but I am a really small size (0/2) and can't hide much around my waiste area. I think your right though. I just need to go and try some different guns to find what works for me.

Re: Anyone carry a .22 cal. pistol?

I did for a while until I started experiencing the inevitable Rimfire fail to fire. Then I moved to 25acp and haven't look back since. Do yourself a favor and move up to a 25. Don't fall for the velocity and energy stats on the box, those are reported from rifle barrels, not pistol. The 25acp is a more powerful and reliable round.

Get yourself a Beretta JetFire (model 950 I believe).

I use both an F.I.E. Titan & Raven MP25, neither have ever failed and both were bought used. I still recommend getting the Beretta if you can afford it, steel beats Zamak every day in every way.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Get a 32acp kel Tec , it has more rounds then the 380acp and recoil is hardly there. I think what u feel is the slide moving. It is very flat, small and light.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by BekahM View Post
    You are so right about todays "fashon"..... I (or my daughter for that matter) wouldn't be caught dead to some of todays womens/girls "clothing". My tanks are worn fairly loose, but I am a really small size (0/2) and can't hide much around my waiste area. I think your right though. I just need to go and try some different guns to find what works for me.
    We guys don't even know our own waist sizes so imagine us trying to figure out women's sizes!

Quote Originally Posted by BekahM View Post
    Have you seen those bra holsters? No lie, those are a great way to carry if you are "ample" enough. I saw a YouTube video on them and they looked pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
    I did for a while until I started experiencing the inevitable Rimfire fail to fire. Then I moved to 25acp and haven't look back since. Do yourself a favor and move up to a 25. Don't fall for the velocity and energy stats on the box, those are reported from rifle barrels, not pistol. The 25acp is a more powerful and reliable round.

Get yourself a Beretta JetFire (model 950 I believe).

I use both an F.I.E. Titan & Raven MP25, neither have ever failed and both were bought used. I still recommend getting the Beretta if you can afford it, steel beats Zamak every day in every way.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
    My friend was over tonight and we were talking about pocket pistols, and he handed me his Raven Arms MP25 to shoot tomorrow, so I guess I get to try that one out!

Quote Originally Posted by Scramble4a5 View Post
    We guys don't even know our own waist sizes so imagine us trying to figure out women's sizes!
    Haha..... Yea, I guess I should have thought about that!

I've been also contemplating my carry options once summer arrives (been carrying only since October here). Have you seen this bra holster? I like how it doesn't point right at your bosom like the Flashbang, and a little bump under the armpit would go largely unnoticed, I think. Marilyn Holster I see they've expanded their gun list for these holsters considerably, and they're making them for the Shield, among many others, now.
    EDC--XD9 Service and/or XDs-45 depending on my mood
    Soon-to-be new mama to a S&W 66-2 4"

Please don't be lulled into the fantasy that carrying any gun is better than no gun. There is no doubt a .22 is a lethal round, but for self defense, you are looking for a caliber that
    will stop the threat, not put a bunch of small holes in the Bad Guy while not doing enough damage to the central nervous system to STOP the threat dead in its tracks, leaving him on his feet.....
    to cut your throat or bash in your skull.
    I know that many will chime in here and give the usual banter:

1. I wouldn't want to get shot with one
    2. If its so underpowered why don't you let me shoot you with it
    3. A .22 in your hand is better than a .45 at home in the safe
    4. All handguns are underpowered so it makes no difference. (if that were the case, all LEO's would be carrying a .22, no?)
    5. A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a 9mm (if you are a bad shot, you're gonna miss with a BB gun)

Don't buy into this type of rationalization from those that just want to hear that their little pea shooter is truly a man stopper.....lethal yes....fight stopper....NO.
    With all the small 9mm's on the market today, looking for something smaller does not necessarily mean stepping down in caliber. Here a few that are so small
    that they will conceal almost anywhere and in any clothing:

Diamondback DB9, Kahr CM9, Keltec PF-9, Beretta Nano.....and that's just a start.
    ...and while I don't recommend even a .380acp for self defense, its sure beats a .22.....and there a gazillion tiny models from which to choose.

Good Luck.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I'd been carrying an old "Chief's Special" S&W 60 since CCW passed in Kentucky in '95 or '96. I'm just wheel gun people, I tried several semi-autos, but always get drawn back to revolvers.

Anyhooo, arthritis has been setting in worse and worse each year (wrists, now an elbow), and using standard velocity loads and lighter bullets only helped for so long. So, last Thursday, I bought an LCR .22LR with the Crimson Trace grip. I took it to the range this morning and was very, very impressed. At 10 yards I could pick out a scoring number on a police silhouette and punch the number clear off the target.

Most importantly, I could keep doing it. It didn't hurt. There was no kicking and hopping around like a cat on a cactus, the LCR was downright pleasant to shoot. I did have a bit of an ache going on after about 250 rounds, but none of that sharp bone jarring pain I get with bigger calibers. I know, .22LR is not ideal, but we seem to work ok together. I'll take my warm and fuzzies however I can get them these days.
    Philly Boy likes this.

zonker - Having a gun - ANY gun - has indeed been PROVEN to be better than no gun; since the majority of the time, a criminal will simply run off upon seeing the gun, without a shot even needing to be fired. Seriously - would you tell a small statured woman that she's better off not carrying at all, unless she is going to carry an .88 Magnum? That's just about got to be the most irresponsible advice I have read on this forum. And you are not going to disrupt the CNS unless you score a direct hit with a handgun bullet - which is not easy to do, given the small target area. And, if you do hit it - caliber won't matter much.

OP - Instead of a different gun, have you considered a different carry method? Or a light cover-up in warm weather to allow you to still carry and conceal your Shield .40? My wife uses a Kangaroo holster, and likes it more than her previous favorite method - the bellyband.

You also stated that you are considering a .22 for instructing your daughter. A .22 is indeed very good for that - but it is usually easier to teach on a larger gun than a very micro concealed carry piece. A Ruger SR22 would be ideal. A SP101 revolver in .22 would also be a great choice.

Do what's best for YOU and ignore the rest.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Thanks for all the advice! I'll try my friends Raven .25 cal. and see how I like it. I do still plan on carrying my shield when at all possible. I'v been trying some different carry methods and I'm figuring it out. I do think I'll be making good use of my lightweight cover-ups this summer.

I used to carry a 25 auto years ago. I picked it up used at a gun show. It was my only carry gun at the time. I never had to use it for defense but I felt confident having it over nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by WarMachine View Post
    I used to carry a 25 auto years ago. I picked it up used at a gun show. It was my only carry gun at the time. I never had to use it for defense but I felt confident having it over nothing.
    My friend that gave me his Raven mp25 to use has a friend that ended up in a bad situation and his .25 was all he had. Very sad situation, but It did the job and he was able to protect himself with it.

I will occasionally carry my Phoenix HP22, but with it's SA only and multiple safeties I don't think is very good for SD carry. Ruger's LCR in .22 is quite nice. Walther has recently come out with a .22 version of their PPK.. that would be worth checking out. Quite honestly, I think you should consider one of the pocket .380s. I have a Taurus TCP, and the recoil isn't bad at all. I have large hands too, and have no problem holding on to it. I wish companies would offer .22 versions of their pocket .380s. I think there would be a good market for those. Not really a lot of choices in sub-compact/pocket .22s.

At least with the 25acp its centerfire, so you dont have to worry about rimfire FTF issues..

I would however consider the 32acp in a good bra holster.. it will all but disappear, provide arguably adequate power for its intended use, and has very light recoil compared to what you already have shot.

Yes a 380 can be had in the same size for more power, but if you are recoil sensitive, like I am (due to hand/wrist injuries) it is a good compromise for a deep concealment pistol.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links