Anyone carry a .22 cal. pistol?

This is a discussion on Anyone carry a .22 cal. pistol? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by zonker1986 Please don't be lulled into the fantasy that carrying any gun is better than no gun. There is no doubt a ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Anyone carry a .22 cal. pistol?

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    Please don't be lulled into the fantasy that carrying any gun is better than no gun. There is no doubt a .22 is a lethal round, but for self defense, you are looking for a caliber that
    will stop the threat, not put a bunch of small holes in the Bad Guy while not doing enough damage to the central nervous system to STOP the threat dead in its tracks, leaving him on his feet.....
    to cut your throat or bash in your skull.
    I know that many will chime in here and give the usual banter:

1. I wouldn't want to get shot with one
    2. If its so underpowered why don't you let me shoot you with it
    3. A .22 in your hand is better than a .45 at home in the safe
    4. All handguns are underpowered so it makes no difference. (if that were the case, all LEO's would be carrying a .22, no?)
    5. A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a 9mm (if you are a bad shot, you're gonna miss with a BB gun)

Don't buy into this type of rationalization from those that just want to hear that their little pea shooter is truly a man stopper.....lethal yes....fight stopper....NO.
    With all the small 9mm's on the market today, looking for something smaller does not necessarily mean stepping down in caliber. Here a few that are so small
    that they will conceal almost anywhere and in any clothing:

Diamondback DB9, Kahr CM9, Keltec PF-9, Beretta Nano.....and that's just a start.
    ...and while I don't recommend even a .380acp for self defense, its sure beats a .22.....and there a gazillion tiny models from which to choose.

Good Luck.

I agree that the .22 is not an ideal SD round, but I don't think they should be dismissed entirely. Here's why:

In about 95% of cases where a gun is used for self defense no shots are fired. Just producing a gun, any gun, stops the threat. Most bad guys are opportunists looking for easy prey, and don't want a fight.

In about 90% of cases where shots are fired, the threat stops, regardless of the level of physical injury.... again for the same reasons listed above. In most cases the BG turns and runs (if he still can).

When shots are fired and the BG doesn't turn and run, the .22 will still do a pretty good job at stopping the threat. If you haven't seen this study, you should check it out. An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power For every story of a BG taking six 9mm shots to the chest and keeping on fighting, there is a story of a single shot from a .22 that drops a guy in his tracks.

Of course, all things being equal, a larger round is better than a .22, but all things are seldom equal, particularly in self defense situations. Charging 300 pound meth addicts and extended shootouts with bad guys make for good TV and spirited, testostrone-driven discussions on gun forums, but are so rare in real life that it becomes almost silly to debate it.

Bottom line is that in most real self-defense cases a .22 will protect you as well as any gun, and in the other cases, it's a lot better than a sharp stick. So if a .22 is all you have, or for whatever reason your choice of weapon, just make sure you know how to use it well.
    10thmtn, Kilowatt3 and jibbr71 like this.

2. Remove Ads

I tried going with a somewhat larger caliber by going the semi-auto route, and tried a Ruger LCP. Actually shooting the little pistol wasn't horribly bad on the arthritis, but was still pretty noticeable. The issue came with the tap-rack-bang drills. If I did it really gently and gingerly, it was ok. But I doubt a fight would be the time to be gentle and gingerly. If I did it with any urgency, the wrists sometimes couldn't take it, and it would turn into a juggling act. I prefer not to be doing circus acts for someone intent on causing me harm. So, the Ruger LCR .22 it is.

I will concede though, when the LCR .22 WMR finally hits the streets, the .22 LR will fall into second place behind a magnum full of Gold Dot hollow points.

As I have stated some months ago, my local FFL guy is an ex Airborne officer and some of his friends carry .22's as their EDC weapon. Of course, one must be competent shooting ANY gun but, if ex military guys are going to do it, it should not be outside the realm of consideration. The OP might want to consider the Sig P238 in .380 acp if price is not a severely limiting factor. And I still like my Beretta Tomcat in .32 acp with 7+1 rds. It is an easy shooter and feels like a REAL gun; not a toy that carries bullets. And, if you can put 8 rds. in a tight grouping, that should give the BG pause--- if not heart palpitations!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    zonker - Having a gun - ANY gun - has indeed been PROVEN to be better than no gun; since the majority of the time, a criminal will simply run off upon seeing the gun, without a shot even needing to be fired. Seriously - would you tell a small statured woman that she's better off not carrying at all, unless she is going to carry an .88 Magnum? That's just about got to be the most irresponsible advice I have read on this forum.
    no, the most irresponsible advice on this forum is the constant patting everyone on the back for carrying an underpowered gun for self defense. Newbies come here looking for advice and to learn. They read that is ok to carry a .22 and off they go. Hey, I read it DFC Forum, so it must be right. I think they are receiving the wrong message here, and unfortunately, they will not find out how wrong the advice they
    received was until its too late.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    no, the most irresponsible advice on this forum is the constant patting everyone on the back for carrying an underpowered gun for self defense. Newbies come here looking for advice and to learn. They read that is ok to carry a .22 and off they go. Hey, I read it DFC Forum, so it must be right. I think they are receiving the wrong message here, and unfortunately, they will not find out how wrong the advice they
    received was until its too late.
    Perhaps you missed where the OP stated that she already has a .40 cal Shield, but that in certain attire it is hard for her to conceal. Perhaps you also missed where she stated she would like something that would be easier for her daughter to learn to shoot with. And apparently you also missed where she stated that she has tried more powerful, smaller guns, but has a hard time with recoil control.

When I can, I carry a double-stack .45. In other situations, it's a 9mm or a .38 - might even be a bitty .380. The situation (clothing, comfort, medical issues, etc) drives the platform; the platform drives the caliber. While I agree that a .22 handgun is not ideal, it is MUCH better than nothing at all, if that is indeed the only other option. To say that it is a "fantasy" to think that any gun is better than no gun...well, I don't know how you can actually believe that.

While it would be great if everyone could go about with a Glock 21 strapped to their hip all day long, that is just not reality. And not everyone can handle the smaller, lighter 9mm and .380 options either. Better to step down in caliber and carry something you can actually run well - yes?

If you cannot see the logic in that, well, we will have to agree to disagree.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    I don't carry a .22 for defense for 2 reasons:

1. While the .22 can be a deadly round. It often takes a long time for it to take effect.

2. The rimfire cartridge is not a reliable shooting round. They are prone to misfires and if it is going to happen it will be at the most inopportune time.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Re: Anyone carry a .22 cal. pistol?

Ive carried my SR22 daily for nearly a year now. Originally because it was my only pistol, now because my LCR is on loan to my sister (victim of a daytime home robbery, thankfully she wasn't there).

Personally I wont tell someone they should carry one, but I'm just as comfortable with my little SR22 as I am with anything else, and I have more reliable trigger time with it then anything else.

I offered my LCR up to my sister if she decides she shoots it well enough, but shes definitely going the revolver route anyway so if she has control problems with it then I reccomended she go with the new. 22mag. She has shot several semiautos but the only ones she enjoys and shoots comfortably have been full size .45s - which she wont carry.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Stormin1155 View Post
    I agree that the .22 is not an ideal SD round, but I don't think they should be dismissed entirely. Here's why:

In about 95% of cases where a gun is used for self defense no shots are fired. Just producing a gun, any gun, stops the threat. Most bad guys are opportunists looking for easy prey, and don't want a fight.

In about 90% of cases where shots are fired, the threat stops, regardless of the level of physical injury.... again for the same reasons listed above. In most cases the BG turns and runs (if he still can).

When shots are fired and the BG doesn't turn and run, the .22 will still do a pretty good job at stopping the threat. If you haven't seen this study, you should check it out. An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power For every story of a BG taking six 9mm shots to the chest and keeping on fighting, there is a story of a single shot from a .22 that drops a guy in his tracks.

Of course, all things being equal, a larger round is better than a .22, but all things are seldom equal, particularly in self defense situations. Charging 300 pound meth addicts and extended shootouts with bad guys make for good TV and spirited, testostrone-driven discussions on gun forums, but are so rare in real life that it becomes almost silly to debate it.

Bottom line is that in most real self-defense cases a .22 will protect you as well as any gun, and in the other cases, it's a lot better than a sharp stick. So if a .22 is all you have, or for whatever reason your choice of weapon, just make sure you know how to use it well.
    Very well said. 4 22's = a 1 inch hole.

Distinguished Member
    you may wish to considernthe sig P238 (.380 auto). Very compact, only 16oz., very reliable and very little recoil... especially when compared to LCP's, Bodyguard 380's, etc. I'll shoot hundreds of rounds through mine on range day and I never get tired of shooting it.... close to 3500 rounds through it so far and zero malfunctions.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

I've carried my Walther P22 many times, mostly when walking the dog.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

Instead of gun change have you thought about the FlashBang holster I think it is. I saw a video on it with a slim lady wearing what you describe with a small 9mm and it was undetectable. Also ladies can get by with a fanny pack designed with a holster in them very well. My wife wears one alot wearing it on her side instead of front or rear. Very conveinent and a quick draw plus you never leave it like you do a purse since its on you. They arent expensive and made for anything from a 1911 on down to 380.

I wont let you shoot me to prove the point but I have been shot with a 22 accidently. Semi auto 22lr with 14 rounds I would use as a back up HD weapon but I would never trust a 22 handgun to stop someone unless I simply had nothing else but a sharp stick.

My father does out of necessity due to shattering his wrist almost 40 years ago. He has a decent collection including a Glock 22 .40, a Walther PPK .380 and some others but they are all too much for him to control. The .22 is about all he feels safe using. He has a bunch of various ones but has made his Ruger SR22 his EDC. For home he has shotguns.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

A lady in my circle of friends who happen to be shooters has a preferred EDC of a Charter Arms Pathfinder in 22 Magnum - it's a case of it being one she feels safe using, she feels out of the few handguns she has it's the one she can control best

My Dad turned 80 last year. For 50 years his defense gun has been an Iver Johnson 55a in .22LR. Sometime about the mid-80's he stopped stoking it with Winchester Super-X and started using Remington Vipers.

Kel Tec 32acp...you will not go wrong.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links