Anyone carry a .22 cal. pistol?

This is a discussion on Anyone carry a .22 cal. pistol? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by BekahM Although I do like the LCR (if i got one i would get the .38), I'm looking for something very small ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Anyone carry a .22 cal. pistol?

Quote Originally Posted by BekahM View Post
    Although I do like the LCR (if i got one i would get the .38), I'm looking for something very small and easy to conceal in shorts and a tank. How is the kick of a .32 compared to a .380? It's not that I think the .380 recoil is sooooo bad, it's that it's too much for the amount of hold I have on the gun. My Shield is a .40 and I love shooting that. Before my Shield, I bought a Ruger LC9, and hated shooting it. I had a hard time holding on to the gun and the end of my trigger finger came way too far back when pulling the trigger. The Shield .40 is easier to shoot than the Ruger LC9 was.
    For this attire I would consider the flash bang holster. not sure if the shield would fit but a excellent holster for concealment

j-frame_flashbang_185174112_std.jpg

here is a picture

2. Remove Ads

BekahM - I'm glad you are committed to carrying every day. That's much better than most people. A couple thoughts though:

1. I would not feel comfortable carrying a 22 semi auto for failure to fire issues. Rimfire ammo is just not as reliable, and at least in a revolver you can just pull the trigger again.

2. Try a pta3 in 32acp (or an naa guardian, etc, seacamp). None are comfortable to shoot a lot, but that's the compromise for such a small gun. IMO, stepping down to 22lr or 25acp isn't really going to gain you anything in either size or ergonomics.

3. I learned that hiding a gun has a lot to do with mentality. There are several different types of people on gun forums, those who chase the perfect carry pistol, putting the size, weight, etc above all else, and then those who pick a gun they are good with and learn how to carry it properly. I'm not saying there is never a reason for a mouse gun, but I'm just going to encourage you to really strive to carry your shield. Don't fall into the trap of thinking you can't hide that size of gun.

Check out falia photography on youtube. She has videos of plenty of different ways to carry a gun. So, instead of buying more guns, it might make more sense in experimenting with different types of holsters and cover garments, etc. BTW, I'm a guy, but I carry an sp101 3" year round in alabama. I don't like oversized clothing, wearing cover garments in the summer, etc. It just took a lot of work, holsters and trying cloths to figure out what hides well and what doesn't, but now I'm confident I could carry almost anything up to a commander sized 1911.

Re: Anyone carry a .22 cal. pistol?

My mother occasionally carries a walther p22. Ive put countless rounds through that pistol and love it and i dont feel bad about her carrying it. 22 is better than nothing

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kc5cychris View Post
    For this attire I would consider the flash bang holster. not sure if the shield would fit but a excellent holster for concealment

j-frame_flashbang_185174112_std.jpg

here is a picture
    I bet you can still see that revolver under her shirt. It will print the bulge and sharp points . Good idea and it might work with a small NAA revolver or maybe a kel Tec p32.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by tet4 View Post
    BekahM - I'm glad you are committed to carrying every day. That's much better than most people. A couple thoughts though:

1. I would not feel comfortable carrying a 22 semi auto for failure to fire issues. Rimfire ammo is just not as reliable, and at least in a revolver you can just pull the trigger again.

2. Try a pta3 in 32acp (or an naa guardian, etc, seacamp). None are comfortable to shoot a lot, but that's the compromise for such a small gun. IMO, stepping down to 22lr or 25acp isn't really going to gain you anything in either size or ergonomics.

3. I learned that hiding a gun has a lot to do with mentality. There are several different types of people on gun forums, those who chase the perfect carry pistol, putting the size, weight, etc above all else, and then those who pick a gun they are good with and learn how to carry it properly. I'm not saying there is never a reason for a mouse gun, but I'm just going to encourage you to really strive to carry your shield. Don't fall into the trap of thinking you can't hide that size of gun.

Check out falia photography on youtube. She has videos of plenty of different ways to carry a gun. So, instead of buying more guns, it might make more sense in experimenting with different types of holsters and cover garments, etc. BTW, I'm a guy, but I carry an sp101 3" year round in alabama. I don't like oversized clothing, wearing cover garments in the summer, etc. It just took a lot of work, holsters and trying cloths to figure out what hides well and what doesn't, but now I'm confident I could carry almost anything up to a commander sized 1911.
    My P22 never fails to fire and if it did, I could just pull the trigger again.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

How tiresome is the "a 22 is better than a.....poke in the eye......big stick......nothing....etc" analogies. As analogies go, they really are very bad one's. The difference between a stick, a poke in the eye, nothing, etc. and a 22lr from 5 yards is so vast as to make those cute comparisons headhakingly nonsensical. We all get the intent, but it really does do good analogies an injustice. How many have been put in a grave from a poke in the eye or a stick? I would venture to say that in legitimate analogies, a 22lr is as far closer to a 45 than it is a stick or a poke in the eye. Is it a one shot stopper? Not likely unless you place it perfectly. Will it kill? Oh, the string of dead people answers that question. Will it kill a zombie or a doped up crack head.....how far down the infinitesimally small risk list list do you go to guide your choice of handgun when other variables have to be considered as well. I would go so far as to say, if you are 24/7 concerned about a one shot kill of a doped up crack head wherever you are, you better carry a shotgun with you as your open carry because that is likely the only thing that will assure success if that is the level of risk you live with.

It would be real progress to have the 22 debate in realistic terms without resorting to the tired and terribly inaccurate "at least its better than a....(fill in the blank)" bad analogies. Everyone knows, relative to larger calibers, it is not as powerful. However, there are well documented statistics and studies that show it is not as far away from the big calibers in ending the threat as the "better than a big stick" nonsense would have some believe.

I don't carry a 22. I do understand why some do. The variables at play in making a choice are complex and many. It is proven to stop a very high percentage of engagements. Beyond that, everyone is just playing with the numbers and conjecture.
    Stormin1155, paullie and 10thmtn like this.

I bought a Walther P-22 with the intent to carry it on my evening dog walks, etc. I liked the size and it "felt good" in my hand. However, mine was not reliable, with many FTF's.

I tried different brands of ammo, but still had about 1/20 FTF's. I sent it back to S&W on warranty. They were very nice, and supplied a newer style magazine. When I got it back, it was better, but still had occasional FTF's. So, I traded it off, and went back to my KEL-TEC P-32, which is very reliable.

For most of us, that don't frequent biker bars, slums, crack houses, or public housing projects a small caliber pistol is probably adequate. Only a very few of us will actually ever point a loaded gun at another person. I'm 70, served in the military, and have never had to do so. For years I carried a Baby Browning .25 acp.

Much of the "advice" on this board about the necessity of a large caliber handguns is from people that have ZERO experience with self defense shootings. Reading gun magazines in your living room is not the same as street experience.

One of my physician friends says they had more ER deaths from .22's and .25's. But perhaps the felons shot by LEO's with 40's never made it to the ER.

If I find a reliable .22lr small handgun, I will carry it.

Jerry
    Philly Boy and Realleycat like this.

I just bought a Ruger LCR-22 for my walks around the neighborhood. I don't feel under-gunned at all.
    Tony

Most people can get back on target with a .22 quicker than they can with a .357mag, So 3 rounds of .22 comes to about .66 of metal.
    I would also go with a revolver, (in 22Mag ) The better ammo is fairly reliable, but if the first one doesn't go off, it is quicker to squeeze again than it is to tap, rack, and try again.

You can drop a 1000 lb steer in its tracks with a 22 lr if you put the barrel to its head in the right place. You can also shoot a groundhog at 20 yrds 8 times and have it get away if you dont hit it in the head. And maybe then it will still get away.
    Ive been accidentily shot with a 22lr in the chest No trip to the doc just hit sternum and fell out.

Not saying 22 is usless and in a rifle where there is 14 or so rounds semi auto Id go to it for HD if the shotgun is out of ammo.
    They are just iffy as heck on a human if you dont hit the right spot. If its all you can carry or shoot then go with it but please dont believe its close to the best choice to stop even the average person with a couple of hits.

Yeah I carry a .22 alot. Sometimes primary, sometimes as a backup. I'm grew up around guns and I'm fully aware of the reduction in stopping power, but I was also born very hearing impaired, get rung very easily and wish to keep as much of the hearing I have. Right now the only carry .22 I have is a Walther P22 (comparable to Rugers SR22). Seems like a reliable enough gun once you find out what ammo it likes. What I am really wanting is a S&W J frame .22 revolver. Packs less of a punch than the 38 but with the .22 you can get a 9 shot vs. the 38's 5 shot. Good luck and I'll be glad to answer any questions on the P22 if I can help.

Goose
    "These days I go down to Wal-Mart and they sell 'em in the back.
    Some people wanna take 'em away, why don't you go bust them boys that's sellin' crack.
    Guns, whether Remingtons 'er Glocks.
    Come on man it ain't like I'm a slingin' 'em on the block." - Justin Moore

I've been holding this opinion about the Flashbang Holster in for a while now but I think that this is a serious issue that should at the very least be thought about. What is the first rule of firearms safety? Keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction! Why? Because regardless of whether or not the weapon has a safety or is loaded then if the gun discharges no one is injured/killed. So, tell me; why just because we are trying to carry concealed is it all of a sudden okay to carry, and draw a firearm that we KNOW is loaded in a manner which causes it to point nearly directly at the most vital parts of our body? Why in the world would anyone carry, and why would we as CCW aficionados advise those new to firearms and/or carrying concealed to carry a weapon pointed at their breast/head area and then go and try to draw said weapon from under a cover garment, in a high stress, life or death situation where there is a much higher chance of a AD/ND? That my friends is, in my opinion just plain irresponsible and quite frankly I'm surprised and a little miffed that so many of you who are much more knowledgeable and whose opinions and experience I have the utmost respect for, would stand for such a thing.
    To the OP, there are many options out there that fit your needs and if a .22 is all that you can carry due to recoil concerns in the micro sized pistols then so be it; it IS better than nothing. but, please, DON'T carry a gun nearly pointed at your head/thoracic region. This is in fact where we are taught to aim during defensive situations....Center Mass.
    Last edited by Crowbait; January 11th, 2013 at 03:40 PM.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

DH carries a Pt22? its a Taurus I think that is what it was. he got it last year and he shot a possum with some critical defense .. ya I don't make fun of his "little" .22 ( i have a 40)

Quote Originally Posted by Crowbait View Post
    I've been holding this opinion in for a while now but I think that this is a serious issue that should at the very least be thought about. What is the first rule of firearms safety? Keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction! Why? Because regardless of whether or not the weapon has a safety or is loaded then if the gun discharges no one is injured/killed. So, tell me; why just because we are trying to carry concealed is it all of a sudden okay to carry, and draw a firearm that we KNOW is loaded in a manner which causes it to point nearly directly at the most vital parts of our body? Why in the world would anyone carry, and why would we as CCW aficionados advise those new to firearms and/or carrying concealed to carry a weapon pointed at their breast/head area and then go and try to draw said weapon from under a cover garment, in a high stress, life or death situation where there is a much higher chance of a AD/ND? That my friends is, in my opinion just plain irresponsible and quite frankly I'm surprised and a little miffed that so many of you who are much more knowledgeable and whose opinions and experience I have the utmost respect for, would stand for such a thing.
    To the OP, there are many options out there that fit your needs and if a .22 is all that you can carry due to recoil concerns in the micro sized pistols then so be it; it IS better than nothing. but, please, DON'T carry a gun nearly pointed at your head/thoracic region. This is in fact where we are taught to aim during defensive situations....Center Mass.
    I read your post several times, and I really don't understand what the "Rant" is about??? Are you saying not to conceal carry a firearm.....
    Tony

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    I know someone who does, and she does because she can handle it well, shoot it well, and for her it is her choice. A nine shot 22 LR revolver. Her logic is , I think it's better to carry a gun I am comfortable with, can shoot well, can control, than a bigger gun that I can't do those things as well with. She is a firearms instructor, and a good one, but she knows and excepts her limitations. Can't argue with that logic.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links