Narrowing the choices down

This is a discussion on Narrowing the choices down within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've just about narrowed down my choices for my next purchase. Ruger LC9 or the Kahr CM9. A local dealer has them for $380 and ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BeyondTheBox

Thread: Narrowing the choices down

I've just about narrowed down my choices for my next purchase. Ruger LC9 or the Kahr CM9. A local dealer has them for $380 and $440, respectively. That also includes two hours of range time.

My current carry is a Glock 27, but I want something that is a single stack that is bigger than my LCP. Being a southpaw, the thumb safety on the LC9 is not attractive to me. I was thinking about getting a snub-nose revolver, but I don't see myself carrying one comfortably.

Any other guns I should be taking into consideration before I decide?

Re: Narrowing the choices down

Between the two the Kahr has better trigger and reputation.

As for what else, I'd look seriously at the Ruger sr9c. Wayyyyyyy better trigger with dual magazine Capacity options for carry and range time.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Here's a useful search site that might help narrow down your options, one that allows sorting the results by OAL, barrel length, weight: Handgun Database @ Genitron.com.

If you're able to find a reliable example, IMO the 9mm Kahr PM9 or CM9 is hard to beat. The dimensions and weight, caliber and (at least for me) accuracy make it bar-none the best example in its class on the market.

For me, though, the trick has been in finding a reliable one. Went through several, without luck, despite a long effort in tracking down the issues. Whatever the reason, the PM9's just not in the cards for me. Bummer, since if it did work reliably in my own hands I would still have a couple and would see little point in anything else (for pocket carry).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
    Between the two the Kahr has better trigger and reputation.

As for what else, I'd look seriously at the Ruger sr9c. Wayyyyyyy better trigger with dual magazine Capacity options for carry and range time.

I already have a Glock 27. Looking for something that is single stack.

Kahr doesn't make bad pistols but their Customer Service is often discussed through gritted-teeth. The M&P S&W Shield isn't a true double-stack but rather a "stagger-stack" and quite narrow through the grip. It might give you the feel you're looking for in that general price range. IMHO, I would pick it over the LC9 or CM9.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Kahr doesn't make bad pistols but their Customer Service is often discussed through gritted-teeth. The M&P S&W Shield isn't a true double-stack but rather a "stagger-stack" and quite narrow through the grip. It might give you the feel you're looking for in that general price range. IMHO, I would pick it over the LC9 or CM9.
    Shield is single stack. I was considering it, but the thumb safety is a turn off and the dealer I've been going to gets about one per month and their wait list is... Well lets just say I'd be waiting a long time!

Taurus pt709 slim, not sure if safety or slide release are swappable, but fantastic trigger, very similar to that of Glock in feel & length.

sioux565 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    I already have a Glock 27. Looking for something that is single stack.
    Pretty sure the sr9c is single stack with the 10 round mag. Can't seem to recall now dangit.

Quote Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
    Pretty sure the sr9c is single stack with the 10 round mag. Can't seem to recall now dangit.

At 1.27" wide, try again!

Kahr always looks good but I've yet to see a reliable example at least one I'd trust my life with. I don't like the Kahr mystery trigger. Kahr's customer service has not been the best. Ruger and S&W have some good options. Walther
    has a nice option.
    Last edited by Randall757; January 8th, 2013 at 06:56 AM.
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    Shield is single stack.
    Well Sioux, to echo your kind retort to BeyondTheBox, uh...try again! The S&W Shield is NOT single stack, it is staggered, just like I said.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I have a LC9 and even though the trigger isn't great it feels great in my hands. I'd recommend it.

VIP Member
    Plus 2 on the LC9

+3 for the LC9.

The trigger is stiff new, but after a 200+ rounds thru it, it has loosened up very nicely. Very comfortable in my hand and I like the Lasermax laser it has on it.

As far as the safety, if you leave it off, it is the same as carrying the LCP, which has no safety.

Links