Rossi .357 3" made in 2010

This is a discussion on Rossi .357 3" made in 2010 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone know anything about Rossi .357 3". It was made in Brazil in 2010. Have an oppotunity to pick one up in trade. New in ...

Thread: Rossi .357 3" made in 2010

Anyone know anything about Rossi .357 3". It was made in Brazil in 2010.

Have an oppotunity to pick one up in trade. New in box. Looks good to me.

I have a Rossi 461 2" 6-shot .357, that I bought in 2006, and has served me well since then. By no means is it up to the level of a S&W, or Ruger, but it isn't a Saturday Night Special either. It is accurate, and feels good in the hand, and reliable.

A fellow instructor I know has a similar revolver, that suffered a catastrophic failure and didn't come apart. It was a 4 shot, and there are at least 3 rounds in the barrel. It is unknown if the first or second round was a squib, but the front of the round which now rests at the muzzle is flattened, when it hit the round in front of it. The pistol is now a non-functioning training aid, the cylinder needed to be hit out with a hammer and the frame is bent, however, it gave me some faith in Rossi's metallurgy.

So, they are okay revolvers, depending on how much it is worth in regards to the trade.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Thank you buckeye.45 for taking the time to respond. I don't know much about Rossi but this does look like a good handgun to me, I'll take it to the range tomorrow and give it a run. Thanks again for your response.

Rossi was acquired by Taurus a few years ago to be their economy line. The designs are adequate, but you trade off quality of fit an finish for the lower price. As with Taurus, quality isn't always consistently good, but that's not a condemnation... I have 3 "Tauri" which work real well. It's a plus that you get to shoot this gun before you buy. Pay attention to trigger pull, lockup and if it spits lead.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Ksgunner View Post
    Thank you buckeye.45 for taking the time to respond. I don't know much about Rossi but this does look like a good handgun to me, I'll take it to the range tomorrow and give it a run. Thanks again for your response.
    No problem, glad I could help. Like I said, its not the greatest revolver, fit and finish won't be excellent, but it should be functional. That being said, a guess on the estimate is probably no more than $250, and that might be a bit high. Last I saw they were around $300 new.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    No problem, glad I could help. Like I said, its not the greatest revolver, fit and finish won't be excellent, but it should be functional. That being said, a guess on the estimate is probably no more than $250, and that might be a bit high. Last I saw they were around $300 new.
    Yeah, I was gonna say about $200 if it's in good shape, but that's just me.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

You might want to check again, I don't think Rossi has made a 3" model lately. All their catalog has are 2" 4" and 6"

Yeah, I was gonna say about $200 if it's in good shape, but that's just me.
    The common range for them used seems to be $200ish for the .38s, closer to $250 for .357s.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Could be a 3" model 461. These aren't listed in the Rossi catalog, they are a "Store" specific model for Academy sports. I think they are all "blued". I have one that I bought on Black Friday 2011 for $230 or so. I bought it as my first foray into handguns and have been happy with my purchase. I find it to be a decent revolver. Holsters can be interesting as it is a little larger than a J frame, but smaller than a K. I'm told it is Colt D size with a 6 round cylinder. K frame holsters often fit ok. I've found a Tagua oph-710 J frame that fits mine. It weighs about 26oz empty. Recoil with .38 anything is pretty mild. .357 rounds are a bit more fun, but even as a novice, I find them reasonably manageable. This model should not be dry fired due to the hammer design. I find myself giving it a decent slice of carry time. If it is a 461, an HKS 10A speedloader will work well with it. I will say, I find the finish to be fairly durable so far. I saw a new one in the rack at my local Academy Saturday for $279 I think.

I know one thing about these guns, I would'nt buy another.
    Its good for a gun you would throw in a glove box of a car or a desk draw and not care if it got stolen.
    Its very unaccurate, is my complaint, you better hope the bad guy is within 10 feet of you.

The model number is R-46103, 3" and they are no longer on the Rossi web page. It was made in 2010

I believe my Academy model is a R-46103

What are you trading? Do you feel you're trading up or down for the Rossi?
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

Actually, down I'm trading my LC9 as I really don't care for the trigger pull at all.

The American made Ruger or Brazilian made Rossi... I'd say hang on to the LC9 until something else comes if you want to trade. Although I'd advise against trading in the first place, maybe some Wolff springs for your LC9. Cheap but very effective upgrade.
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

Sponsored Links