9mm PITBULL

This is a discussion on 9mm PITBULL within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Why would I want/need a revolver chambered for a rimless cartridge? Why not just get .38/.357? As a civilian, I personally have never felt the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 9mm PITBULL

Why would I want/need a revolver chambered for a rimless cartridge? Why not just get .38/.357?

As a civilian, I personally have never felt the need to carry a "BUG", so ammo commonality with a primary weapon is a non-issue. I suppose this could be a consideration for LEOs and/or really gung-ho CCW civilians.

Is it a monetary thing, so that you can buy ammo in bulk (thus presumably cheaper) for use in multiple weapons? I already weapons in a variety of calibers, so I don't think I'd see much savings, since standardizing on one caliber is not going to happen.

Are there advantages I have failed to consider? I mean this question sincerely, not intending to stir up debate.

2. Remove Ads

Sponsor
    Aside from the fact that it's just a cool revolver?

Comparable performance to the .38SPL not much below .357
    Readily available cheap ammo(at least it was until recently)in as many flavors as you could imagine.
    I don't need to buy more dies as I already reload 9mm.

No reason not to get .357/.38 just a few good reasons for me to get the 9mm.
    rammerjammer likes this.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Sponsor
    Just a quick update.

I had a couple reloads unseat while firing on a range trip last week. 2 out of 50+/-. I've never had a problem with my reloads setting back or unseating before so have to attribute this a different effect of recoil in the revolver. After adjusting for a tighter taper crimp, I put another 200 or so through the Pit Bull yesterday with no issues at all.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    M&P Forum
    Holsters

Glad your Pitbull is working fine.

I have a CA from the 60s and the cylinder will jam if I shoot too many rounds thru it.

It has been back to CA and back to the range with the same result.

It now stays loaded in a secret place in the house just in case I ever need it.

But it will never go to the range or will it be carried.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I hope you get good results.

I remember when Ruger first introduced the SP-101, it was available in 9mm. I thought it was interesting since it had a six shot cylinder instead of the usual five shot cylinder of the other SP-101's. It's been so long ago that I don't recall if it required "moon clips" or not.

9mm is no longer part of the SP-101 line-up, and hasn't been for a while. I don't know why, but I suspect that it just wasn't a popular seller.

I opted for the .357 mag version when I bought mine.
    9mm SP101s have 5 round cylinders like their cousins, not six.

But I have been curious about the Charter Arms Pitbull lineup. They are next to impossible to find and finding reviews on them are hard to find too.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

srd

9mm PITBULL

I can start this out by saying I do not own a pit bull… I own his bigger brother the bulldog. If this is any indication of what charter arms products are like there is no doubt in my mind I would own another one. I have fed this thing factory ammo and hand loads without a hiccup of any kind. Why the 44 instead ? I already had the loading dies, brass etc. besides that now I don't have to bend over and pick up brass. Recoil ? I ran some factory Hornady 180 grain rated at 1000 ft./s at the muzzle… The recoil was a little stiff but manageable. Accuracy? I don't call a 4 inch group at 25 yards from a short barreled revolver anything to complain about. The only little problem I ran into was finding a holster for the local critter. Then I found out that they sell them at charter arms website. I will have to admit that for the money it's a great holster.

The SP101 9mm DID require moon clips (which is okay as I think of them as fast, pre-loaded speed loaders). The new CA 9mm Pitbull is a neat idea but I've read a review that noted that the complicated mechanical device (that catches in the ring of the rimless "autoloader" style 9mm case) must be kept quite clean. The tester ran ~350 rounds without cleaning and the build-up powder residue kept the spring-loaded "stars" from properly engaging in all the chambers. As a result, upon ejection, 2-3 empty 9mm hulls were left in their chamber. IMHO, there's a reason why conventional revolvers work BEST with rimmed calibers & autoloaders work best with rimless calibers. I'm not a fan of over-complicated mechanisms just to make a 9mm work in a revolver. But then again, it's unlikely very many folks will run hundreds of rounds in a defensive handgun without...cleaning it!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    Well, I guess I'm the site guinea pig!

I paid the lay-a-way off on the the Pit Bull and brought it home a couple days ago. I cleaned it up, lubed it and after about 500 snap cap dry fire trigger pulls hit the range.

Less than stellar results.

I guess it was finally my turn. I have been very lucky to have never bought a lemon in hand guns before. My luck ran out with this one.

I shot very nice(for me) groups at 35' except that they were about 10" low, consistently.

After about 50 rnds. I started to get intermittent lock ups. The action would stop about 1/3 of the way through the trigger pull or cocking and I would have to fiddle with the cylinder to get it to cycle. This happened in both SA and DA. Not every shot but very frequently. I even tried without any cartridges in the cylinder. Same results. Not every pull but very frequent.

I also had a few light strike misfires. All of them fired on the second chance.

I called CA and they emailed me a return label. I sent the Revolver back today. Hopefully, they will make it right. I am not panning CA at this time. Anyone can produce a lemon and as I said, I have been very lucky thus far.

I will update when I get the Pit Bull back from CA.
    I hate to bash a manufacturer but after 42 years of buying hundreds of guns and shooting them in anger and for fun, you learn from experience who not to buy from no matter how novel the gun is. While every manufacturer will produce more good guns than bad, some have more bad guns than the others. I read about this gun and when I read the trigger pull weights it turned me off right away. A heavy trigger pull with the well known bad Taurus trigger, is not something I would like. As I tell all my new shooting students, save up for a S&W or Ruger if you want a revolver. Used to include Colts but that shows how old I am. :) I also provide a list of quality semi auto manufacturers and list guns in all calibers and price ranges. However, often than not, they buy on price, what looks cool or whatever is in stock at their local store. Most end up buying a second gun once the novelty of owning a gun wears off and they learn more. I had one guy who refused to spend more than $250 for a gun that "I will probably never shoot". Then went 6 months moaning about how he could not find a good gun for that kind of money. He was living in the past when guns were cheaper 40 years ago and like most people, want a gun to feel safe rather than be safe. He finally found a used LCP which he initially said he loved due to its price and size and now he hates it. He cannot shoot it worth a darn and finds the trigger too hard for his elderly hands. He ended up buying a full sized gun on sale for $289. Of course it is too big to carry so he bought a Ruger SR22 due to its size and low recoil but cannot afford good .22 ammo so the gun jams every other round and now he hates it. So he is back to complaining to me about how he does not have the money to spend to buy a good carry gun and I had to remind him that for what he already spent he could have bought a top of the line carry gun. Some of us have to learn the hard way it seems. Has nothing to do with the OP other than buy quality and it will be money well spent. :)

I like my talo, i sent it to actions by t an had complete action job done he jeweled. The cylinder ends an hammer an trigger have grips from gemini coming really shoots sweetimage.jpg

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My son was considering a 9mm wheelie to back up his 9mm service P229. I'll have to pass on your review to him.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Was reading an old concealed carry handgun magazine this morning and saw an ad for Tuff Products that had 9mm quick strips, Tuff Products .

Hell-o From Maryland Where can I get one?

I ordered and paid a deposit on a Charter Arms 79920 Pitbull here in Maryland last January. Does anyone know where I can get one? I sent an email to Dee at Charter Arms earlier. The last I heard from her there was a 8-12 week delay.

Sudsy

Charter Arms: The Hi-Point of the revolver world.

jyo
    Back when I was managing a gunstore, I sold my buddy a brand new Ruger SP-101 in 9mm---really neat 9mm revolver---I told myself that the next one that came in would be mine---never saw another one...

Sponsor
    Yeah, I picked up a couple of the Tuff Products Quick Strips and have started making Kydex carriers for them. I'll eventually have carriers for most o f the popular revolver calibers in Quick Strips.

The Pitt Bull has been fine since it's return from CA. It's not my go to gun but it gets some trigger time every range trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
    Was reading an old concealed carry handgun magazine this morning and saw an ad for Tuff Products that had 9mm quick strips, Tuff Products .
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    M&P Forum
    Holsters

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links