Glock Problem?

This is a discussion on Glock Problem? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Google "Glock slide preening." Yes, it's normal, especially on the 40 S&W guns. I have an older G22 Gen 3 that looks about the same ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Glock Problem?

Glock Problem?

Google "Glock slide preening." Yes, it's normal, especially on the 40 S&W guns. I have an older G22 Gen 3 that looks about the same as yours. So far, with over 1,000 through my g23 gen 4, I haven't noticed much.

2. Remove Ads

Glock Problem?

Sorry, dang autocorrect. SLIDE PEENING.

Not a "Glock problem". Looks like maybe a "maintenance problem". At least in the photo, looks like old, gummy lubricant or solvent residue under the slide--collecting dust and particles. This area should be clean and dry appearing. Glock recommends only a small drop of high quality oil on the rails....nowhere else. Excess oil leads to collection of dust and dirt which in turn act like sandpaper as the weapon cycles.

Additionally, you did not mention how many rounds have been through this weapon over the years. No gun that is used and fired regularly lasts forever (not even a Glock).
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Mn0341 View Post
    Ok so the other day I was looking at a used glock from a pawn shop. When I disassembled it it had two BIG gouges on either side of the slide (location circled in yellow in attached pic). So when I got home I took apart my Glock (its 24 years old made back in later 1988), and it looks like its at the beginnings of this happening, mine are circled in the red.

My question is, what would cause or is causing these types of gouges to occur?

Attachment 66424
    What are these dings in my slide?
    Curzyk and aus71383 like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Not a "Glock problem". Looks like maybe a "maintenance problem".
    You do not know Glocks. This is slide peening and perfectly normal in Glocks with any amount of rounds through them.
    globetruck likes this.

When I read the word "gouge" I imagined "a scooped-out groove or cavity". When I looked at the photo I see little more than finish wear & the beveling of sharp edge. Slide peening is common for autoloading handguns, especially for high-pressure calibers running past-worn recoil springs. I might make it a bigger issue than it really is to negotiate the purchase price in my direction. But then I would install a fresh recoil spring & fearlessly run...the crap outta' that pistol!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    The only problem I see is I dont have enough Glocks.

My 1998 G17 Gen3 had big wear marks when I bought it used. I took it to my local Glock gunsmith. He said file the roughness out. Just the rough spot. Lube it up and shoot the snot of it. I did and haven't had any problems. He said it's the locking block and slide coming together. Normal.
    Question Everything!

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Thank you, now I know. And for the record I do not know exactly how many rounds have been put through it as it was my dads pistol he carried when he was a peace officer, and before he passed away he sold it to my uncle, and he dosent remeber how many rounds my father put through it, so I cannot even make an assumption or guess as to how many rounds have been put through it.

GH
    After many rounds through it my old G23 that I gave to my son is just starting to show those marks. My son said he took a little steel wool to it but since there weren't any sharp edges he's not worrying about it. It made him clean & lube a little more thoroughly.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Mn0341 View Post
    Thank you, now I know. And for the record I do not know exactly how many rounds have been put through it as it was my dads pistol he carried when he was a peace officer, and before he passed away he sold it to my uncle, and he dosent remeber how many rounds my father put through it, so I cannot even make an assumption or guess as to how many rounds have been put through it.
    You're very welcome.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    This may be the funniest thread I have seen in years! How would you like to have sold the OP a used car?

^^^^^Now you go to you're room!!!!!!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^

To the OP,,

What all the other have said.
    Normal for the age,

PS
    Where the H.E.Double Hockey Sticks is Bemidji !!!!?????????????
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    PS
    Where the H.E.Double Hockey Sticks is Bemidji !!!!?????????????
    Just head north to Grand Forks and hang a right. I did a bit of fishing there when stationed at Grand Forks.
    Glock Certified Armorer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links