Glock Problem?

Glock Problem?

This is a discussion on Glock Problem? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok so the other day I was looking at a used glock from a pawn shop. When I disassembled it it had two BIG gouges ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Glock Problem?

Glock Problem?

Ok so the other day I was looking at a used glock from a pawn shop. When I disassembled it it had two BIG gouges on either side of the slide (location circled in yellow in attached pic). So when I got home I took apart my Glock (its 24 years old made back in later 1988), and it looks like its at the beginnings of this happening, mine are circled in the red.

My question is, what would cause or is causing these types of gouges to occur?

Editedglock.jpg

Glock Problem?

Lack of lubricant and slide wear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hopyard likes this.

Considering the gun is 24 years old, and requires magnification to see any wear on the slide rails, I'm not sure what the problem is. I presume the gun still functions well...?
    preachertim likes this.
    “Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

Yes my gun is in great condition for its age, I was more or less asking about that other Glock as to why this may be happening, and also slightly worried about my gun. I know the knicks on mine are really tiny, but the other Glock had gouges I mean it was deep and long right on the edge of were I put the yellow circles on mine. And yes it still functions very well!
    Last edited by Mn0341; January 7th, 2013 at 10:04 PM. Reason: added content

Anything mechanical will eventually wear out. With any luck, it'll be your gun's next owner's problem.
    Hopyard and 68blackbird like this.
    “Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

Lead Moderator
    Maybe it was run hard and dry? While Glocks are great , reliable guns any machine requires lubrication to help slow down wear.
    68blackbird likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

OD*
    I have marks in the same location on my 1989 G17, mine are a little more pronounced though, and it has corresponding marks on the locking block. Looks like simple wear marks to me.
    oneshot and aus71383 like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Ok well thank you all for your input!

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Glocks have an expiration date on them. Send it to me and I'll take care of it. Mine has the same thing! I've got over 35K through my G19. Looks like normal wear maybe something with the locking block?
    aus71383 likes this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Just checked my XD, no wear, knicks or gouges on the slide with over 6K rnds down the tube. I'll check my sons 1st generation G17 that has been misused and abused by the local PD in the past and since as a range/training weapon for my family for many years.
    Bengun likes this.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

I wonder worry about it, just enjoy your Glock!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    This may be the funniest thread I have seen in years! How would you like to have sold the OP a used car?
    ccman likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Just talked to my son about slide wear on his 1986(ser # prefix AA) generation 1 G17. Considerable slide wear, but no gouges in area OP pointed out, gouges around ejection port and heavy wear on guide rod and external and internal parts of the barrel. Does have a magazine retention problem on occasion. Best estimated guess, 8 to 10K rounds down the pipe since he purchased it in 1990.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Sillys, glocks are plastic they don't need lube

I need to look at my Gen1 17, I don't think those nicks are gunna effect it..

Is this post a troll? There is nothing wrong with the slide??? Those are normal wear marks.
    globetruck likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links