Having trouble picking the right automatic.

This is a discussion on Having trouble picking the right automatic. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Arktos Anyway, I guess I did not make it clear that I intend to carry in condition one, so a manual safety ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Having trouble picking the right automatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Arktos View Post
    Anyway, I guess I did not make it clear that I intend to carry in condition one, so a manual safety is a must.
    Neither of my EDCs have a manual safety and both are carried condition one. If a manual safety is still a must, you've just limited your options a fair chunk. Just go grab an M&P or a 1911.

2. Remove Ads

CZs are hard to find because not a lot of dealers carry them, which is a shame because they are great pistols. I have a CZ85B which is all steel and ambi (I'm a lefty). If you are looking for a CZ, your best ally may well be the telephone, in order to find one.

The CZ2075 Rami is no longer available in a poly frame. CZ had some issues with the poly frame bulging after several hundred rounds and they seem not to have a solution to the problem. Everyone I have read about that had one of the problematic Rami's, contacted CZ-USA and they replaced them at no charge with the alloy frame 2075. I was looking for one of the 2075s in poly because it had the ambi safety, a necessity for me. Since the 2075 in the steel or the alloy frame do not have the ambi safety, I have been forced to look in another direction.

Great company to deal with.

I also have the FNX-9, and your reach problem can probably be resolved with one of the alternate back straps that come with the pistol. Mine shoots great, just put another 100 rounds through it yesterday. Over 900 rounds so far with no failures to do anything.

Can say nothing nice about Sigs, they seem to have given very little thought to the fact that some of the worlds population is left-handed.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Iím right handed, but am no longer considering the SIG Sauer. I had mistook the decocker for a safety.
    "If you are scared you die every day. If you are not scared, you die only once." -Giovanni Falcone

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Brian View Post
    Neither of my EDCs have a manual safety and both are carried condition one. If a manual safety is still a must, you've just limited your options a fair chunk. Just go grab an M&P or a 1911.
    You're carrying a gun with a round chambered, hammer cocked, and no manual safety??? (Not 'Condition One', since 'Condition One' is with a safety on - Your carry is best described as 'Condition Zero', and is an accident waiting to happen.) We'll be reading about you in the news sometime - hopefully it's not too bad...

Regards,
    Jim

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar

Having trouble picking the right automatic.

You may also look at the HK P2000 SK V3 which has a decocker. I personally carry a P2000 SK V1 which is the light LEM. You can get a 40SW and add a 357 Sig barrel. JMHO!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Condition one, not two.
    "If you are scared you die every day. If you are not scared, you die only once." -Giovanni Falcone

Given the recent media orgy over the incorrect use of the term "automatic weapons", I would suggest the term "automatic" in this thread be dropped and call it what it is: semi-auto. These are not automatic pistols, but the media would love to hear gun owners call them that.

The M&P line can be bought with a manual thumb safety,so you can carry with one in the chamber and the safety on for peace of mind,not exactly condition one but as close as you'll get in that platform
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    You're carrying a gun with a round chambered, hammer cocked, and no manual safety??? (Not 'Condition One', since 'Condition One' is with a safety on - Your carry is best described as 'Condition Zero', and is an accident waiting to happen.) We'll be reading about you in the news sometime - hopefully it's not too bad...

Regards,
    Jim
    Overreaction, while appreciated as a sign of concern, would have been better put as a chance to educate this guy :)

Did not realize condition one required a hammer. Both of my firearms are striker fired. Consider them like a Glock with a round chambered. There's no manual safety, the gun is always hot.

Or do you think every Glock owner will one day end up in the paper for an ND as well?

Iíve read about single action strikers with manual safeties. Most such pistols were made before World War II.

I just don't see a need for a manual safety on a striker fire gun. There's no hammer to get caught on, or that could be accidentally manipulated to cause the gun to fire. I'm actually less comfortable, personally, with the idea of a "cocked and locked" handgun for SD then I am with a no-safety striker fired gun.

With the lack of a safety, it comes down to your own weapon responsibility, and things like, oh I dunno, keeping your finger off the trigger unless you need to pull it. Which I'm pretty sure applies to hammer-fired safety equipped firearms too...

Either way go with what you're comfortable with, I was mostly replying to an erroneous statement earlier, sorry to derail :)

I like, want & therefore need a manual thumb safety. I prefer carrying Condition 1 because that's to what I am accustomed. Most CZ75 variants can be converted to SAO with factory parts, as can the FNX. Yet I have to agree that the S&W M&P (with thumb safety & Apex trigger conversion) feels soooo much like Condition 1 that the fact that it's striker-fired really doesn't matter. With your criteria, the latter would be (IMHO) worth a close look.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links