Gun Carry Question

This is a discussion on Gun Carry Question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't know if this is the right thread, but I have a question about carrying a gun. I have just turned 16, and want ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By Crowman
  • 4 Post By pgrass101

Thread: Gun Carry Question

Gun Carry Question

I don't know if this is the right thread, but I have a question about carrying a gun. I have just turned 16, and want to know if it is okay for me to keep a loaded gun in my glove compartment. I will not be the legal owner of either the gun, or the car. My parents will own both, but I will be driving the car. I will not be removing the gun without the intent of protecting my life. Is it okay for the gun to rest there, or is it punishable by law? Even if I do not open the compartment.

2. Remove Ads

If your parents are responsible firearms owners they should know the answer.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

I believe your parents and you could be in for a rash of bad luck with this decision. Only my personal thoughts!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I'm guessing that you will be parking this vehicle at your high school?

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    If your parents are responsible firearms owners they should know the answer.
    Bingo!

It's very illegal to make a firearm available to a minor...sorry buddy.

^Ditto. Sorry guy, no can do. Parents should join the forum and do some reading..
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

a VERY BIG NO NO NO NO NO. Sorry my friend.. not yet. First off, you cannot even be in possession of a firearm until, depending on state laws, 18. (obviously going out hunting with dad or at the range is different).

But then to make matters worse for you, what you would be doing is concealing a handgun.. quick way to end up in jail for sure. YOU would need to take the required training and pay the cash for a concealed weapons/concealed pistol permit/license.. whatever your state calls them, IF they issue them at all. This doesnt matter if you're only just driving the car or whether or not the pistol EVER leaves the glvoebox.

And to end, I too have to question whether or not your parents even know of this idea... if it was they that suggested it, or didnt immediately know the answer (which is a resounding no) then please implore them to get up to speed on United States firearms laws and basic firearms safety.. before someone accidently does something illegal, like this, and gets in trouble.

GH
    Don't do it!! Don't even consider it.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Illegal and scary.....why do wish to endanger your parents with such an action ?? not to mention yourself.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

I've seen worse X box live gamer tags and remember guys he said he was sixteen. I remember when TX CHL came out I was in my late teens and couldn't wait to get my CHL. He's impressionable and perhaps a bit misguided but we all where/are .

Senior Moderator
    For the Op since your IP is located in Georgia I am sending you GA's handgun laws

What you are wanting to do is illegal for both you and your parents and can land you in jail with a felony.

Possession of handguns by minors: Minors (persons under the age of 18) are NOT allowed by Georgia law to possess handguns unless the following exceptions apply:

Attending a hunter education course or a firearms safety course.

Engaging in practice in the use of a firearm or target shooting

Engaging in an organized competition involving the use of a firearm or participating in or practicing for a performance by an organized group

Hunting or fishing pursuant to a valid license if such person has in his or her possession such a valid hunting or fishing license if required; is engaged in legal hunting or fishing; has permission of the owner of the land on which the activities are being conducted; and the pistol or revolver, whenever loaded, is carried only in an open and fully exposed manner (no concealing of the firearm)

Traveling to or from any activity described above, provided that firearm is carried in a unconcealed and unloaded fashion.

Any minor who is on real property under the control of such person's parent, legal guardian, or grandparent and who has the permission of such person's parent or legal guardian to possess a firearm.

Any minor who is at such person's residence and who, with the permission of such person's parent or legal guardian, possesses a pistol or revolver for the purpose of exercising the rights authorized in Code Section 16-3-21 or 16-3-23. (self defense laws, listed further down the page)

The exceptions DO NOT apply to any minor who has been convicted of a forcible felony or forcible misdemeanor, as defined in Code Section 16-1-3, or who has been adjudicated delinquent under the provisions of Article 1 of Chapter 11 of Title 15 for an offense which would constitute a forcible felony or forcible misdemeanor, as defined in Code Section 16-1-3, if such person were an adult.

I am closing this thread, the OP has been answered
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Links