LCPs first trip to the range

This is a discussion on LCPs first trip to the range within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently purchased a Ruger LCP .380 at a gun show and took its straight to the range, knowing I shouldn't, but it was greased ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: LCPs first trip to the range

I recently purchased a Ruger LCP .380 at a gun show and took its straight to the range, knowing I shouldn't, but it was greased up pretty well. Shot 75 rds through it of 50 WWB and 25 Hornady Critical Defense. One FTE with both brands.

The next trip I took was just the other day, 50 rds of WWB and 50 rds of Blazer brass. Two FTE with each brand. Thats 6 total malfuntions in 175 rds. I know this is a small gun and has very tight tolerances and I was wondering if any of you who own one think this is typical for the 'break-in' period of the LCP? Possibly limp wristing? (even though I've made sure to hold onto the snappy thing pretty tight) I am considering wolff springs for it as well to help with this problem.

I've also posted this on xdtalk but I'm looking to make sure.
    KCCO!

XD9SC
    Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    I have not had any issues with my LCP. I initially put about 500 rounds through it including ball and carry ammo. As you note, it is not the most fun to shoot, so I rarely put rounds down range, but I do occassionally run a couple of mags through it. I have not had the issues you report. You do, however, have to find a way to keep a grip on it as it is really small - which is the whole point behind the LCP. I also painted the front sight day-glo orange and that helped with finding the dang thing.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    I know the diagnosis of 'limp wristing' is way over-used;

However FWIW, my LCP runs like a sewing machine until it gets into the hands of my son. Then it stove-pipes just about one out of every magazine.
    pittypat21 likes this.

It could be possible, the malfunctions happened typically on the 5-6th rds in the magazine. I've never had a problem with limp wristing, and have pretty meaty hands, but it is possible.
    KCCO!

XD9SC
    Ruger LCP

Let someone else shoot it, using the same ammo. If they also experience issues, then you should call Ruger and let them look it over.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I'm going to try a F&B as well as ordering Wolff recoil springs. Once that is finished I'll see how it operates.
    KCCO!

XD9SC
    Ruger LCP

about 250 rounds thrown out of mine so far and have had one stovepipe and one double feed. I am almost certain the double feed was me hitting the mag release because I was shooting it outside in very cold conditions, and well, my grip got sloppy.

No room to speak on break in period, I got mine used so it was already well broken in.

A few hundred rounds through my wife's LCP, both her and I shooting it, no failures.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Before you go changing out parts, shoot it some more. Call Ruger if you have to. If there's actually something wrong with the pistol, your warranty should cover it and you'll probably get it fixed, or even replaced, for free.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Female friend has one she brought out to my home new and we shot the dickens out of it. Ran about 4 boxes of HP FMJ mixed bout 200 rounds in id say an hour. No issues at all. I shot it for probably a third of those rounds and for my larger hands it is tricky to get a good solid grip on during rapid fire at least for me. But no failures because of it. If it keeps up Id call Ruger

When my wife and I purchased our Ruger LCPs two years ago, Ruger did recommend firing a minimum of 200 rounds before carrying. We've shot hundreds of rounds over the two years but I can only remember three malfunctions. You're right, the LCP is "snappy" to shoot. HICKOK45 helped me with this grip issue, Talon Grips. Get the rubber texture for conceal carry. They are about $14.99 and they mail them to you. Easy to install and really make a difference in control.

Did the F&B last week, and took the LCP to the range today and had zero problems. One whole box of 50rds of Blazer Brass
    through it without a hiccup. Looks like opening up the chamber and smoothing out a few machining marks really made a difference for me.
    KCCO!

XD9SC
    Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by RandyatOBX View Post
    When my wife and I purchased our Ruger LCPs two years ago, Ruger did recommend firing a minimum of 200 rounds before carrying. We've shot hundreds of rounds over the two years but I can only remember three malfunctions. You're right, the LCP is "snappy" to shoot. HICKOK45 helped me with this grip issue, Talon Grips. Get the rubber texture for conceal carry. They are about $14.99 and they mail them to you. Easy to install and really make a difference in control.
    +1 on the Talon Grips for LCP. I installed them (also due to Hickok45's recommendation) and they improve control a lot. I also painted the front sight orange and the rear sight neon green, and that's improved sighting and target acquisition. Before I shot the LCP, I cleaned it thoroughly and then racked the slide (chamber clear, magazine out) 100+ times while sitting watching TV. I have never (so far) had a malfunction although I've fired a variety of types of cartridges.

Just put the Hogue grip on my LCP this afternoon. Day and night difference!
    Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

I'll be honest- i had at least 2 dozen failures even approaching 400 + rounds. Failures where the spent brass didn't eject and sometimes the next bullet didnt feed properly and got stuck on an odd angle. In my case I think it was me more than the gun and I've since shot several hundred more rounds with no failures at all. But if you want to research it Ruger has an LCP forum (rugerpistolforums.com) and while I have never used their tech support, I am told they will almost always evaluate and repair your gun at no charge, no matter how long you have owned it. However if you have modified the gun beyond the grips ( trigger mod, wolf springs, etc) they will probably remove the non standard items and restore the pistol factory configuration. But they will also return to whatever has been removed so you can always re- install those items.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links