easiest to conceal ?

easiest to conceal ?

This is a discussion on easiest to conceal ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a small guy,about 5ft 5 and 150 lbs. This weekend I will be buying a new 1911. Which is easier to conceal, an ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

easiest to conceal ?

I am a small guy,about 5ft 5 and 150 lbs.
    This weekend I will be buying a new 1911.
    Which is easier to conceal, an officer frame with 4" barrel or a bobtail commander?
    I don't really want a sub 4 incher.
    thanks, sj

It really depends on your method of carry. If you carry IWB or OWB with a cover garment, the Commander shouldn't be a problem.

BTW: I lived/went to school in Waxahachie for a while, nice little town.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Hey Kenpo,I lived in kc,mo for two years,thats where my son lives now,but I didn't like the winters,so I just had to come back home to texas. I'm going to a gunshow here this weekend in dallas but I probably won't get to see a bottail,I've never seen one,hopefuly they will have one so I can handle one.sj

Officer frame with 4 inch barrel

In my opinion the officer frame with 4 inch barrel is easier to conceal, as the grip area is 1/2 inch shorter than a standard government length grip, and this makes a difference in possible printing. The bobtail government grip takes off the point of the grip to alleviate printing, but the grip is still government length.

Here is a Wilson CQB compact with officer's length grip:

Administrator
    With a good carry holster and a proper gun belt to pull the firearm in close enough to your body....you should be able to conceal either one.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

nice gun, but!!!!!!!!! now you should take a look at the smaller guns. look at smaller guns that you will carry, i say carry.!!!!! not leave in the car or at home. most peoples start out with big guns and they do not carry them. the best gun is the gun that you will carry, not leave in the car or at home. after 29 years on the job, i can say it does not matter the size or cal, it matter if you have the gun on you when you need it (not in the car or at home). everybody wants a 45 acp, but sometimes a smaller gun will work better. you want a gun that will shoot one mag without any problems and a gun you don't know you got it on (like your watch). don't get wrapped up over size, the best size is the size that you will carry each and every day. a 22lr and/or 25 acp will do the job just as good as the 45 acp (i known, been there, done that, got the t-shirt)

comfort depends upon a lot of things.

Some tend to forget that holster, gunbelt, and accessories are a system and should be built up for the intended purpose.

I conceal a full size 1911 under a tshirt in an OWB pancake holster all the time, I also do it with the monster Sig 226.

It all depends on the foundation (belt and holster) that you choose better to spend a little more up front than pay twice to replace bad gear.
    Ranger Gunleather

If light rails were needed on handguns John Browning would have included it on the 1911.

Assistant Administrator
    I also do it with the monster Sig 226.
    Haha - ''monster'' LOL!

Hey - mine is 16/7 carry OWB pancake, belt slide and it is even if a tad heavy - all but part of my anatomy and comfortable too

I love large and heavy - that's just me!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I Have Two...

the Kimber Ultra CDP II and the Pro CDP II. The Ultra is great for concealment...but the Compact CDP II has the grip like the Ultra and the 4" barrel like the Pro...the best of both your 'wants'.
    Don't discount Kimber...

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

CDH
    Quote Originally Posted by sjones View Post
    I am a small guy,about 5ft 5 and 150 lbs.
    This weekend I will be buying a new 1911.
    Which is easier to conceal, an officer frame with 4" barrel or a bobtail commander?
    I don't really want a sub 4 incher.
    thanks, sj
    sj, there is a general rule that applies directly to your question.

And that is: It's easier to conceal a longer barrel than it is to conceal a longer grip. Period.

My personal input on your situation is to add that it ALSO depends on how thick the pistol is as well.

So for my part, I find that my Colt Commander XSE LW is very easy to hide in an IWB holster. In fact, it's easier to conceal than is my XD9SubCompact even though the XD9SubC is shorter in both height and length because the XD9SubC is thicker than the Commander.

In your case, you could go with the Colt Defender which has both a shorter barrel AND grip, but you lose a little round capacity, plus 1911 45's with barrels shorter than 4" have gotten a reputation of being less reputable (deserved or not).

Lot's of us carry Commanders (4-1/4" barrel), but if you really think you need something a teeny bit smaller, than look at the other "shorty" 1911's.
    Greg Dunn also adds a really important consideration in that the holster and belt you use has a LOT to do with how well you carry. Do NOT overlook that "little" (really big) detail.

Lead Moderator
    SA Champ works well for me IWB under a t shirt.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    In my opinion the officer frame with 4 inch barrel is easier to conceal, as the grip area is 1/2 inch shorter than a standard government length grip, and this makes a difference in possible printing. The bobtail government grip takes off the point of the grip to alleviate printing, but the grip is still government length.

Here is a Wilson CQB compact with officer's length grip:

Eh, isn't that extended mag pretty much making up for the full size grip lengthwise anyway?

The officers frame on a commander size slide is a good idea....for someone who does not have large hands. Don't get me wrong, I got an officers model and love it for when something small is needed. I highly recommend it. For a commander sized slide though I want a full size frame. A non enhanced officers frame does not feel right to me because my finger is on the mag lip. The enhanced I don't mind for my compact pistol and my fingers have to be jammed together for juuuust a fit. The full size just feels much comfortable to me without feeling cramped.

So my long winded point is that while the smaller grip size is nice it can be somewhat of a negative point for some of us. I will put up with small on my compact, but I will pass on my larger commander size. I suggest anyone with large hands trying out an officers frame before going the cdr slide, officers frame route.

I originally tought I mght put the slide from the lwt cdr on the officers frame and a slide from a govt. on the lwt cdr frame for a cco and lwt govt, but I would rather stay with the full size frame on the lwt cdr.

I have both and even though the grip on the Bobtail is a "Pointless" full size, I was surprised to find that my Bobtailed Commander concealed better than my 3".
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    nice gun, but!!!!!!!!! now you should take a look at the smaller guns. look at smaller guns that you will carry, i say carry.!!!!! not leave in the car or at home. most peoples start out with big guns and they do not carry them. the best gun is the gun that you will carry, not leave in the car or at home. after 29 years on the job, i can say it does not matter the size or cal, it matter if you have the gun on you when you need it (not in the car or at home). everybody wants a 45 acp, but sometimes a smaller gun will work better. you want a gun that will shoot one mag without any problems and a gun you don't know you got it on (like your watch). don't get wrapped up over size, the best size is the size that you will carry each and every day. a 22lr and/or 25 acp will do the job just as good as the 45 acp (i known, been there, done that, got the t-shirt)
    I'm finding this to be true also. I started with full size a 1911. I have a compact 1911 now. Its better but still pretty heavy. A lot of what you carry has to do with lifestyle too. I have 2 young kids. So I spend a lot of time when home bending over picking them up. On the floor playing with them, changing diapers etc. Not just sitting or standing. I have yet to find the perfect holster. The cheap nylon ones sit lower on my hip but I get stuck and pinched by my 1911. A leather one I have with the sweat shield eliminates that but doesn't conceal as well .

I just picked up a Kel-tec P32. Once it's broken in. I'll probably carry that around the house more then my larger more powerful guns. Which means by default I'll carry that more when I make a run to the Quick-Mart.

I'm thinking of getting the Kel-tec P11 or PF9 next they are about the same size as my 1911 Officers Model. but weigh a lot less and no safety or hammer to stick me. I guess I'm still looking for the perfect carry gun for me.

VIP Member
    Any full sized auto or 4 inch barreled revolver is easy to conceal. The issue is what type of concealment do you want to use. Use a holster vest or a galco/elite holster for full sized weapons. If that doesn't fit your image of yourself then you may need a smaller gun or modify your dress code to cover larger weapons. I personally fine it hard to conceal 3&1/2 inch barreled or larger guns in hot weather. So I opt for the glaco mode.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links