Well, well, well - I bought an M&P9 VTAC and the trigger is 2 lbs too heavy, but...

This is a discussion on Well, well, well - I bought an M&P9 VTAC and the trigger is 2 lbs too heavy, but... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just before Thanksgiving, I saw the dark earth - don't know why they call it that - it's really light earth, M&P9 fs with the ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By OldVet

Thread: Well, well, well - I bought an M&P9 VTAC and the trigger is 2 lbs too heavy, but...

Senior Moderator

Well, well, well - I bought an M&P9 VTAC and the trigger is 2 lbs too heavy, but...

Just before Thanksgiving, I saw the dark earth - don't know why they call it that - it's really light earth, M&P9 fs with the VTAC package. I'm so tired of black guns - there's nothing wrong with black, I'm just a little bored with it, that's all.

I really liked this gun, so I dug into my gift Christmas gift fund and guess what! There was enough to swing the deal! And that's ok, it's a Christmas gift fund for me.

So I shoot the gun, really enjoy it, but the trigger.....Something is just not right here. But guess what! It has a fantastic reset! It even clicks out loud and the reset is even too! Of course you can't hear it when you're shooting it, but you can feel the tactile reset. I found it most gratifying to hear that click in dry fire.

So I measure the trigger pull and it's a whopping 8.5 lbs! It's supposed to be 6.5 lbs, or 6 lbs, I can't remember which now. Here's a S&W pic - it's just like mine and every bit as good of a pic as I could make:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore...1_v072412a.pdf

So today I finally got around to calling S&W. The guy says, "Hmmm, that shouldn't be. I'll send you a shipping label and we can get it in here and see why the trigger is so heavy."

Well, of course, it would have been better if it was right to start with, but I must say S&W has excellent customer service, at least in my case they did.

And now the wait begins .
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Congrats on the new gun. Hopefully they can get it fixed and returned in short order.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Lead Moderator
    Congrats on the new pistol . I considered a Vtac but couldn't justify the added expense at the time.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I really want to try the M&P out and love the VTac model as well. I have heard the PVD finish on the slide is fragile. Keep me updated on this Tangle, I always like your in depth critique and methodical reviews.

Glad to hear S&W still thinks enough of their customers to behave responsibly. Sadly rare company policy these days. Keep us in the loop.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Senior Moderator
    Thanks guys, I'll get back to you when the gun comes back - that will be a while.

Sounds like I need to pay attention to the PVD finish on the slide - that will be interesting to watch.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Do I see an "evil black gun" loophole here?
    MamaMaria likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I think I saw the Military Arms Channel review on the VTac and he reported that the finish was wearing during draws on the first preliminary testing. I hope the finish is better on yours because it is a very attractive weapon. Both Kydex and leather rigs were used during the video.

RT
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Thanks guys, I'll get back to you when the gun comes back - that will be a while.

Sounds like I need to pay attention to the PVD finish on the slide - that will be interesting to watch.
    You might be surprised at how soon you get your pistol back. I had to send my M&P back to the factory to correct issues with early unlocking a while back, and S&W had it back to me very quickly considering when I had sent it. I had it back about two weeks after dropping it off at my local FedEx. It had been in transit to the factory for the majority of those two weeks with the bit of delay due to how FedEx had routed it and Sandy tearing up the east coast at that time. Had it not been for that, I would've had it back much sooner, because the tracking timestamps show S&W shipping it back, repaired, about a day and a half after receiving it.

ETA: In addition to replacing the barrel, they had also tweaked the trigger and smoothed it out a bit. All in all, I have been very pleased with their customer service.

Had the VTAC model and liked it but decided it was a little too big, so I traded it for my XD9SC. The XD is much smaller, but very accurate and is the OD Green model. Guys at the range really liked it on my first trip with it and it has quickly become my favorite of all the guns I've had--- and I've had more than my share in the last 2 1/2 years! Good luck with the Smith; it's a neat gun.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

How do you like the sights? They look a little "busy" to me, as in a lot of things to line up.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Links