Rethinking my carry guns

Rethinking my carry guns

This is a discussion on Rethinking my carry guns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lately I have been rethinking my carry guns. I keep reading where everyone wants to mimic the performance of the 357 magnum with every caliber ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Rethinking my carry guns

Rethinking my carry guns

Lately I have been rethinking my carry guns. I keep reading where everyone wants to mimic the performance of the 357 magnum with every caliber made. The 357 was king of the hill and only lost favor to get a higher capacity. I carried one for years and never felt outgunned, but I also run them well and always carried 4 reloads. I have not found any data to support that most civilian, and even LE shootouts required high numbers of rounds fired if the GG actually hit something.

I technically shoot a revolver as well as I do an auto, it is just the reload that slows me down, but with proper tactics is this even an issue? I don't think so.

That being said I have my eyes on this S&W PC 629. It weighs the same as an L frame, albeit a tad thicker. I am thinking that using a hot special or light magnum load to put a 200-240 grain bullet around 1100 fps might be the ticket. This would give good terminal performance and moderate blast and recoil.

I am down to 2 Glocks and thinking of keeping them in reserve as sort of " In case of war break glass". I just like Smith revolvers!
    bunker and zacii like this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

VIP Member
    the 629 packs a punch. I used to use one for hunting then I found a model 41 in 41 mag. I use it for hunting. I have a bit of trouble with the recoil on the 629 but the 41 mag is just like the 357, manageable. The other "Smith" to look at is the Governor ( 45 ACP, 45 colt and .410 all in one) It seems easy to shoot compared to the 629. 45 colt is a step down in fps and energy but not much.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I want to mimic the performance of a bazooka, but I don't see that happening in a handgun.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I want to mimic the performance of a bazooka, but I don't see that happening in a handgun.
    Smith 500 50 cal or 50 cal Desert Eagle, they make a nice boom

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I'd prefer an A-10 Warthog gatling gun.
    Sandpiper and sioux565 like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

After a long list of semis. I found I simply put more rounds on target faster with greater accuracy with my S&W model 65 than I do with my Glock 19. I also find I shoot a 2" snub better than I shoot small autos. That said there are days where I just want to carry the 19 and one day Ill add another 26.

I like your decision to stick with what you shoot well. I wouldnt be overly concerned about getting the hottest load out of the gun, but rather shot placement like your described. New ammunition today with fast burning powders make even a 380 a potent round. Stay the course with your original plan, and practice often. Bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

VIP Member
    .44mag , IMHO for CC is overkill.
    If you are very frequently out in bear/cougar country, or could see yourself usung it to hunt deer then maybe, but there is a reason most police agencies used .357 mag instead of .44mag.
    I would get a 2.5-3 in. .357 mag if I were you and use that.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

I have a 357 S&W revolver,my dad bought back in 64,or 65.If it wasn't so bulky,i would seriously consider carrying it.It's a accurate pistol,to this day.

Nothing wrong with wheel guns... As for the reload, grab another revolver
    BigCityChief likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

You need a 38, because they are.....special!
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I'd prefer an A-10 Warthog gatling gun.
    I hear ya! But at 19 plus feet, concealment is a slight issue. :-)
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

Quote Originally Posted by JayHawker45 View Post
    I hear ya! But at 19 plus feet, concealment is a slight issue. :-)
    Bigger pants.

The typical .44 Magnum cartridge is designed for longer bearrel lengths, just like the .357 Mag. Powder burning beyond the barrel does little to the BG. True, there are some specialty loads that perform better. So now the best CC configuration is not the optimum for the typical cartridge. IMHO if you are going to carry full time, then personal comfort is a big factor. A heavy, hard to conceal gun is more likely to be left home.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

I recently switched from .45 (Glock 21) to 10mm (Glock 20) - mostly because I got a new holster I really like and it isn't for an ambi safety. As a side benefit - I now have "better" "performance" than a .357 magnum. And I didn't lose any capacity either....

Austin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links