Mags for P95 decocker?

This is a discussion on Mags for P95 decocker? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, I just got another 9mm, I traded soeme car parts I had for a very nice Ruger P95, needed a good cleaning, but it's ...

Thread: Mags for P95 decocker?

Mags for P95 decocker?

Hello, I just got another 9mm, I traded soeme car parts I had for a very nice Ruger P95, needed a good cleaning, but it's in great shape, probably less than 200 rounds through it. It was a ban gun, and I only got one mag with it, the 10 rounder. MY friend has a P89 with I believe an 18 (or17) round mag, and both he and my brother in law, (also with a P89) have 2 15 round mags apiece. I am not quite sure, do the older mags work in a P95? I went to Mec-Gar and looked, I see they make a 17, does anyone have experience with them, or are they too difficult to load to capacity, and I should stick with a couple 15 round mags, be it Ruger or Mec-gar ones?

I also saw Mec-gar makes a 20 round extended mag.... Not what I'd want to carry, but a Ruger P95 in a nightstand drawer with 20 Speer 124 Gold Dot +Ps would be a pretty fearsome weapon...IMO. Next to my Loaded Mossberg, that is! Anyway, lemme know your thoughts, thanks, Crexrun

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Stick with the 15's, and pay the xtra money to get the Ruger ones. Don't be lured into the more is better game, theres a reason why Ruger didn't orginally sell the gun with 17 rounders to begin with....
    The older mags will work fine.

That's kinda what I figured. The factory usually does a pretty good job of figuring out what works. Sometimes.

What about the 20 rounder? I see that they are quite a bit longer than standard, so maybe they would be ok....I was just thinking one of those for a bedside gun, if it were ever needed. Thanks, Crexrun
    Walther P22, Velocitors, on my side. Ruger P95, Speer Gold Dot 124 +Ps, bedside. Mossberg 500, full of steel shot behind the door. And a Princeton Tec Genesis 3 watt led and a Gerber Ridge knife! Don't steal MY Coors Light!

I bought a 15 round mag from pro-mag for my pre ban p-95. It has functioned flawlessly. I have since purchased a ruger 15 round mag that I use for carry duty the pro-mag serves as backup now. Some folks report haveing problems with pro-mag but mine has never failed. As far as Mec-Gar goes I have never used one in the ruger but they make mags for several gun manufacturers and are known to make a quality product. I certainly wouldn't be afraid to try their product. What ever mags you buy just make sure to give them a good workout to make sure they work with your gun.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Don't be lured into the more is better game, theres a reason why Ruger didn't orginally sell the gun with 17 rounders to begin with....
    The older mags will work fine.
    yeah because according to Bill Ruger "No honest citizen needs more then 10 rounds"

I think the Mec-Gar one would be fine Promags have a bad rep.

Administrator
    LOL, yeah he did didnt he.

I was just making the point that the normal capcity mags are more reliable, I would much rather have the function than the added 2 shots that I should never need. Esp., when I have another 15 on standby...

I have a 15 round mag, a 17 round mag and the 2 10 round mags that came with my P 95. They all work well.

Links