Defensive Carry banner

SP101 Grips

25K views 65 replies 37 participants last post by  silverback57 
#1 ·
I have a SP101 in .357 with the shorter barrel. I have the factory grips that I'm not overly impressed with. I also have the Hogue grips that are very comfortable and make it easy to shoot the gun. I have relatively small hands but they fit the Hogue grips just fine. My only gripe is that the rubber finish on the hogue grips catch on my clothes and are abrasive to my skin I I don't wear an undershirt. Do y'all have some suggestions that would work a little better for me?

#36 ·
One of my carry guns is my 327 SP101 wearing Hogue rubber grips in a Garrett Silent Thunder IWB.

I have never had a problem with it printing as my holster keeps it tight against my side, and I have found that wearing another t-shirt as a barrier garment is something I prefer when wearing any of my holsters.

#38 ·
Question for those of you with the wood grips. How's the recoil feel as compared to the rubber ?

I have the stock Tamer grips on my LCR .38Sp and could shoot it all day at the range. The wood
grips look great but I wouldn't want to sacrifice comfort for looks. Okay, don't start, comfort don't
matter if the need arises, you ain't gonna feel it anyway.

Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Tool

#49 ·
Question for those of you with the wood grips. How's the recoil feel as compared to the rubber ?

I have the stock Tamer grips on my LCR .38Sp and could shoot it all day at the range. The wood
grips look great but I wouldn't want to sacrifice comfort for looks. Okay, don't start, comfort don't
matter if the need arises, you ain't gonna feel it anyway.

View attachment 68844
I wondered the same thing before putting wood on mine. I personally do not feel a big difference in recoil on mine. I have shot variety of different loads in mine. I'm considering trying to find something a little smaller to put on it for when my ccw permit comes in but hadnt decided. The hogues I have dont really seem to print but I think smaller grips may be a little more easy to conceal.

#46 ·
I am in the process of trying to do a side by side comparison of the sp 101 and gp100 4inch models.

I have a set of fixed sight grips and talo WC grips for the gp100. like the talos for the added width and looks. the fixed sight grips arreallyly nice and compact. I am waiting on a set of altamont inserts to add a bit of width to the grip.

isearchinghing for trausch and pachmayr grips for the sp101. i have the oem and both the hogue rubber/nylon grips.
i like the OEM but man that knuckle bit is a PIA.

I like the carry weight of the sp101 but the gp100 is so soft to shoot.

so i will give each revolver its chance to shine before deciding which one makes into the gun cabinet permanently.

Oh yeah i had the 3 inch versions of each but found that i needed the rear sight for my eyes.

So if anyone has a set of trausch or pachmayr grips for the sp101 they are looking to get rid off send them my way .

thanks.

#47 ·
...hello gimme some grips? don't think so...Welcome but you ain't gettin' my grips...first thing I did when I found my SP was to order some Packy Compacs from Midway...the factory grips are not much help to me...the Packys make it fit perfectly, they got here in 3 days...I had a 3" GP last year but it was just too heavy for the way I carry...the SP's perfect...and with a 4" barrel, you oughta have a perfect carry gun...pics when you get them on it, please...oughta be real sharp...how do you carry it and in what holster???

#52 ·
I just recently got back into revolvers. i used to carry my glock 20 with a cross breed. i am thinking the same for the revolvers or if i settle for the sp101 appendix carry and maybe a Remora. Never used one of those but it looks like a good option for that kind of carry. I won't start trying holsters until i decide on which weapon to keep. The weapon will dictate the carry.

hey any pics of the pachmayr compact to gauge length and width of grips?

#50 ·
Bugdude. The only problem I found with the factory grips was it seemed like my finger would get beat up really bad when shooting. It might just have been my grip on the gun but my finger behind the trigger recieved alot of abuse. But I havent shot it with the original grips in a few years. I might have to try it again.

#58 ·
...I seldom miss a chance to dig someone...where I come from, if you're not picking at 'em...you're mad at 'em...my wife don't take me out much...

...I saw that review before I ordered...but I've been using Packys since the 70s...and I didn't mind...I cut a section from a metal fingernail file to put into the grip as a shim...and it fits tight as..........my belt...love them Packys!!!

#57 ·
The Pachmayr Compac grip for my SP101 did fit a bit too loose for my liking. I solved the problem by shimming up the difference with a couple of small pieces of electricians tape between the grip and the gun. Here's a pic of my SP with the Pachmayr and a Simply Rugged Silver Dollar holster:

Attachments

#60 ·
well I never was able to find a grip that worked for me and the sp101. I have my 4 inch sp101 up for sale on various places. I felt that the stock grips was the best followed by tarusch as a close second. I have never done well with the finger groove grips and although the houges felt good at home didn't really do well for me at the range. Still none of the grips filled my hand as I would have preferred. I my muscle memory to be standardized with my revolvers. I had to put a near death grips and adjust my trigger finger to keep the tight grouping I have become accustomed to with my gp 100 4 inch. This just took my concentration from my front sight. I figured I would split the difference and look for a security six. It is a little slimmer than the gp and about 7 oz's less in weight. it is only 3 to 4 oz's heavier than the sp101 and the grip is a square butt. I have to say that I think I may have found my go to replacement over my gp. Now I really like the gp but the weight is a bit excessive when on the hip. I am heading out for my second range session this later this week. My first session proved my decision to be a good one so far as the added oz's assist this gun. I could hardly tell the difference between it and the gp.

#64 ·
Wheelyfun101's set is one I have liked, and compliment him on. He is also one of those in this forum that know alot about these little 5-shooters so any advice he gives is worthy of consideration. Again, nice carry package Wheely!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.