SP101 Grips

SP101 Grips

This is a discussion on SP101 Grips within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a SP101 in .357 with the shorter barrel. I have the factory grips that I'm not overly impressed with. I also have the ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: SP101 Grips

SP101 Grips

I have a SP101 in .357 with the shorter barrel. I have the factory grips that I'm not overly impressed with. I also have the Hogue grips that are very comfortable and make it easy to shoot the gun. I have relatively small hands but they fit the Hogue grips just fine. My only gripe is that the rubber finish on the hogue grips catch on my clothes and are abrasive to my skin I I don't wear an undershirt. Do y'all have some suggestions that would work a little better for me?

Many holster makers provide a body guard (extra leather that prevents the grip from touching the body).
    I have this on many of my holsters and it helps quite a bit.

I also have the SP101 in a Fist IWB holster with the body guard...works very well.

I might also add, I put wood inserts into the grips...nothing catches.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Re: SP101 Grips

Get some wood grips.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Changing out my stock SP101 grips has been on my mind this week.

The Ruger factory grips really are probably as close to perfect as one could get, but GEZZZ they are ugly!

Really like the looks of the Badger boot grip,would anyone be so kind as to post some pics of wood SP101 grips?

Thanks!

+1 for wood grips. I have the big SP101 (4.20 barrel so I dont know how it translates to the shorter versions) and when I would OWB carry with the Hogue rubber it was always tugging at my shirt. I went to hogue rosewood and I like it though they may be a bit big to conceal. YMMV

I've heard Pachmyer makes some grips that a lot of people like too.
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spovik View Post
    +1 for wood grips. I have the big SP101 (4.20 barrel so I dont know how it translates to the shorter versions) and when I would OWB carry with the Hogue rubber it was always tugging at my shirt. I went to hogue rosewood and I like it though they may be a bit big to conceal. YMMV

I've heard Pachmyer makes some grips that a lot of people like too.
    That is a good looking ruger, have to look into Hogues.

I just ordered a Hogue Mono grip in nylon for my SP 101. Chose nylon because I specifically did not want the "grabbiness" of the rubber for concealed carry.

Hogue Monogrip Grips Ruger SP101 Nylon Black
    Last edited by JayHawker45; January 9th, 2013 at 10:59 AM.
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

20121227_200224.jpgLove my hogues. Carry in a Uncle Mike's no problem. Am thinking on investing some woods just because they sure are pretty. Here's my 3"
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

SP101 Grips

I put inserts into the factory grip and it changed the feel of the gun quite a bit. Not too expensive, you might give it a try.

Check out this thread I did awhile back about SP101 grips

Rollo Talks Sp-101 Grips
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

SP101 Grips

Just what I needed to see! Although I can't argue with how comfortable the Hogue grips are, the grippy texture and extra length make it a no go for carrying, even owb. I guess I'm going to have to un-ass the money for Badgers. Do they make them in a synthetic material, or are they only available in wood? Plain black plastic would be perfect for me, but didn't see it on the website.

If the Hogue (rubber) grips catch on your clothes & abrade your hide, you need to ditch 'em immediately. Getting tangled-up in your cover clothing can quickly put you at the bloody end of a gunfight. Go to the Gemini Customs (Frankfort, Ky) website, they are Jedi Masters of the SP101. There you'll find answers & goodies galore for your fine Ruger j-frame.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

SP101 Grips

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    If the Hogue (rubber) grips catch on your clothes & abrade your hide, you need to ditch 'em immediately. Getting tangled-up in your cover clothing can quickly put you at the bloody end of a gunfight. Go to the Gemini Customs (Frankfort, Ky) website, they are Jedi Masters of the SP101. There you'll find answers & goodies galore for your fine Ruger j-frame.
    I'll go check them out. Luckily, this isn't my only carry gun. I'm trying to get it set up right before it takes its place in the rotation!

Look at Traush grips.

Been in the same situation, Taush grips from france worked for me, synthetic plain black, not grippy and fits a smaller hand.

Good luck! The SP101 is my edc.:
    wmhawth and boscobeans like this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links