What would YOU carry in the florida heat?

This is a discussion on What would YOU carry in the florida heat? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My hot weather carry: -Untucked loose fitting t-shirt, polo, ect.. and regular shorts: Glock 26/27/33 in a FIST kydex clip-on worn "appendix" IWB -Untucked loose ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: What would YOU carry in the florida heat?

My hot weather carry:
    -Untucked loose fitting t-shirt, polo, ect.. and regular shorts: Glock 26/27/33 in a FIST kydex clip-on worn "appendix" IWB
    -Untucked loose fitting t-shirt & gym shorts / sweat shorts: Glock 26/27/33 in a Smartcarry
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

2. Remove Ads

A Walther PPQ in a MaxTuck IWB holster.
    Walther PPQ.jpg
    MaxTuck Black Cowhide-172.jpg
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by bm303 View Post
    Assuming long sleeve, sweaters or heavy shirts are not an option, what would you carry in the heat of south florida? Realistically this means shorts or light pants/jeans and a t shirt. If you were in this climate year round, what gun would you carry and how? What would be the best trade off of comfort and power? I'm guessing the likely answer will be J frame, but we'll see.
    Honestly, I think you could carry just about anything you wanted. You just have to decide how big of a shirt you are willing to wear. I can carry my G19 in just a t-shirt (have done it on a few occasions), your just going to have to wear a larger shirt. When people ask a question like this I usually explain it like so - There are two ways you can go about it. You can pick a gun and then design your wardrobe around it, or you can pick a wardrobe and then pick a gun based on that. Neither way is right or wrong, it's just more personal preference. Personally I like to wear fairly fitted clothes (Not skinny jeans mind you... more talking about shirts). I don't spend 6 days a week in the gym so I can walk around wearing a tent. Because of that preference I tend to gravitate to smaller guns like the Ruger LCR. I am going to be testing a Kahr CW9 for carry soon as well to see if the single stack helps to balance out the longer grip.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

mkh
    Any thing I want. And I have down that.

My usual attire is jeans, a t-shirt and a button up short sleeve shirt worn unbuttoned as a cover shirt. I have carried full size 1911s, Sig P220, a full size M&P, a 4.5" XDM and a Glock 21 plus any other gun I wanted to carry.

If you live in Florida you just need to suck it up and dress for the gun. I would rather be a little warm than compromise my gun choice to stay cool.

Well I will tell you what I do carry and wear being from south west florida. I have two holster options. Black hawk serpa on a paddle holster OWB and a SHTF Gear in waist band. I carry a glock 26. Very rarely will you see me with jeans on, usually it is cargo shorts. As far as shirts, if it is my OWB holster, i wear looser fitting, bigger shirts. If it is my IWB i can wear damn near anything I want.

Cool

Glock 23 in a High Noon Public Secret holster under a colored or pattern shirt worn outside the pants or shorts AIWB with a quality 2 ply gunbelt.

photo.jpgImage 4.jpg
    click image to enlarge....

Been doing it for many years down here in the sunshine state.

Regards,

FlaRon
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny. When the government fears the people there is liberty". T. Jefferson

II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

A life long Florida Boy

I do a rotation .

.32, .380, .38(442), and 9mm.

All are in strong side front pocket.

Jeans, shorts, dress pants ect.

I wear alot of cago long pants and cargo shorts as well .

My regular blue jeans work well with those too.

As far as shirts alot of polo (work and home ) and lots of tees Guys stop with wife beater never owned nor never will

All are in black hawk pocket holsters.

The 9mm LC9 is the limit for me pocket carry dont think I could pull off anything bigger in my front pocket, and dont want to try.

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    I wear tropical/Cuban/bowling style shirts in the hot weather with shorts. I carry a 1911.
    I second this. In Kansas, I find the "tropical" styled shirts the perfect thing for 100+ degree heat and high humidity. Even in hotter weather, I prefer IWB carry and in this case, my recommendation is to utilize a horsehide holster. I prefer leather over kydex and horsehide is naturally almost impervious to moisture.
    bigmacque likes this.
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

Deodorant and a towel.

Seriously though, I'd prefer something a tad smaller that fit well IWB. For those instances in which deep concealment were required, I'd likely opt for a pocket-carried mouse gun of sorts.

About the least-intrusive guns I've carried on the belt have been the flat-riding Kahr K9/CW9/PM9 series of pistols, and a lighter weight variant of the Commander-sized 1911. But that's just me.

Best trade-off of comfort/power will depend on what it always depends. Everyone's different.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    Assuming long sleeve, sweaters or heavy shirts are not an option, what would you carry in the heat of south florida? Realistically this means shorts or light pants/jeans and a t shirt. If you were in this climate year round, what gun would you carry and how? What would be the best trade off of comfort and power? I'm guessing the likely answer will be J frame, but we'll see.
    I would carry something very resistant to corrosion. S&W 642 or Shield, G26, Beretta Nano all come to mind. I had a Kahr P9 that the slide rusted when I was out mowing the lawn in the Mississippi summer.

Jim

In that heat, I would carry a glass of iced tea, or maybe an ice-cold Gatorade.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

XDS .45 in a
    Bear Creek Holsters IWB.
    Loose Tee Shirt or Silk "Tommy Bahamas" style
    All day, every day ;-)

Fin

Click for larger image
    IMG_0204.jpg
    Last edited by finst3r; January 9th, 2013 at 07:56 PM.

VIP Member
    I remember living in Florida when I was growing up and my fathers new Buick family car did not have air conditioning. Just the way things were then no air in the house either with the black & white TVs. Anyway I would carry My 642 OWB with short pants and a loose T shirt.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Kahr CM9 in a remora holster

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    When I was in Panama City Beach this August, I carried my 1911 just fine in my shorts covered with one of those thin Hawaiian style button ups. I stayed cool and concealed well. Mind you I don't live in Florida, but this is what I did when I was down there.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links