Glock G26 Ammo preferences

This is a discussion on Glock G26 Ammo preferences within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know Glocks are supposed to eat any ammo without a problem, but I was wondering if there is any factory documentation that shows their ...

Thread: Glock G26 Ammo preferences

I know Glocks are supposed to eat any ammo without a problem, but I was wondering if there is any factory documentation that shows their recommendation for ammo? I've searched Glock's site and can't find anything official.

I want to know if there is a recommended 9mm bullet weight and whether or not you can run +P through the G26 regularly (some manufacturer's recommend using +P only for self-defense scenarios). Also, will it handle +P+?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I don't recall ever reading about any specific ammo being prefered by Glock. As far as +P stuff THIS thread may help you.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

We used all varieties of 9mm in ours, and never had a problem. Solid little gun.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

NMB
    I dont think you will break your glock with anything thats sold commercially.

Im a 124gr man myself, the hotter the better.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

Diddle-

Thanks for the link!

All thanks for your feedback. Most manufacturer's at least address +P ammo so I wanted to try and get official word. Sounds like they are hedging their bets by not saying either way.

I've used all kinds of ammo from match grade hand loads, to steel cased and dirty wolf, to your average winchester to high pressure SD ammo in my Glocks. Ate it all up no problem.

Everything from 115gr to 147gr and +p. I've even fired many 127gr +p+ through my G17.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

+p is fine. My 26 seems like it is so much more accurate with 147 JHP compared to 115s, although I want to try some Hornady 135s and see how they shoot.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

There are a lot of great defensive rounds in 9mm. I like 124gr. Speer Gold Dot.....it's also favored by many law enforcement agencies.

I normally carry 124 grain +p Gold Dots. However you can use any ammo in your Glock. I'm not a fan of steel cased ammo. So that's the only ammo I won't run in mine.
    Question Everything!

Thanks for the feedback.

I want to carry a +P for SD and I like the Hornady Critical Defense (mainly the tip insert that is supposed to help the round penetrate clothing before opening up), but I'm not sure if Hornady makes that round in a +P. I'll need to weigh the tradeoffs between the two. I'll definitely give the +P 124 Gold Dots a look.

Any well known factory defense ammo should be fine. None of them these days are absolutely terrible. I have my preferences for federal hst 147gr in 9mm but I also really like Corbin dpx. However I would also feel fine with hornady or winchester just the same. Bullet designs over the past few years have gotten a lot better. I don't think any of them are bad choices if you can shoot it well from your gun.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

+1 for Federal HST 147gr JHP (P9HST2)

Excellent 9mm from everything I read plus used to be an amazing value at the local GT Distributors in Dallas before the craziness sparked.

My G26 Gen 4 has ate everything I've fed it without a hitch. It will handle +P and +P+ without problem, but as with any firearm, the use of +p or +P+ will cause extra wear to parts over time. I personally prefer 147gr ammunition in my 26.

Links