New PPK, carry safety off?

This is a discussion on New PPK, carry safety off? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, Picked up the PPK for the wife today (S&W), it's a pretty neat little gun. We'll shoot it tomorrow and test my theory, but ...

Thread: New PPK, carry safety off?

New PPK, carry safety off?

Hello,
    Picked up the PPK for the wife today (S&W), it's a pretty neat little gun. We'll shoot it tomorrow and test my theory, but I thought I'd share first.

I had heard it was unsafe to carry a S&W PPK with the safety off, but while handling the gun, I don't think this is the case- this is why-
    when my finger is off the trigger, I cannot physically push the hammer to make contact with the firing pin, it just will not go. If I pull the trigger, then push the hammer forward, it moves right up and makes easy contact with the FP. This tells me that there is some sort of drop safety on it.

Tomorrow we'll go to the range and I'll smack the hammer with a peice of 2X4 to see if it will go off, until then what do you guys think?

A little more about the gun. It looks good, pretty stiff though (easily remedied tomorrow) finish is good, with minor tool marks below the hammer where its hard to see if you're not looking. DA pull is long and hard and SA is fairly crisp with a little takeup.
    The top of the slide has a very nice wavy design in it to cut glare I assume (it looks pretty cool).
    I ordered a Galco ankle holster for it, I wanted an Alessi or Bulman but didn't have time to order one and no one had one in stock.
    Apparently this gun will fit in holsters for a Sig 232 which helps out some....
    I'll try to post pics later if you guys want...

2. Remove Ads

Ummmm...unless they changed the design, the PPK is DA/SA, with a drop-hammer safety. Once it gets a good break-in, that SA let off will be comparatively light, with only about .030 of sear surface holding back your hammer.

In comparison, if I lived in a really bad, basically free-fire neighborhood, I would consider carrying my 1911 with the safety off, hammer back, or a Glock with light springs and a 3.5# connector. Unless you see the potential need to shoot Right the He** Now, though, I wouldn't. This doesn't address the legal fact that you would be charged with negligence, if you had a "problem". Good example here:
    http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=15626

Or maybe I mis read you- do you mean taking the safety off, after you used the drop-hammer feature? You should be fine, there.....

I meant carrying safety off, hammer down so the first shot will still be DA. I disassembled the gun, and there most certainly IS a drop safety, the hammer will not go all the way forward unless the trigger is pulled. I don't really see any reason to carry with the safety on with a 10# trigger pull. No more dangerous than a Glock or my HK with no safety right?

BTW- you never know when you'll have to shoot right now, that's why we all carry right? ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    Tomorrow we'll go to the range and I'll smack the hammer with a peice of 2X4 to see if it will go off, until then what do you guys think?

Are you serious? Or just kidding? I don't think that I would ever whack my gun with a piece of lumber!!!

I don't think soft pine will hurt the SS finish. But I don't need to now, as I'm sure there is a drop safety...

Lead Moderator
    I would not hit it with anything. someone will come along and tell ya about a drop safety or not. If a drop safety is in the gun, I don't see why it would be dangerous to carry safety off any more than any other DA gun.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I don't need to now, although worst case scenario I can think of is the slide might hit the wood and ding the wood up. I have seen tests like this before, haven't you guys? I think it was American Handgunner that tested some six shooters like that...and when I say "whack" I mean something closer to "tap"

Anyways, I'm 100% sure it has a drop safety, although I didn't see anything about it in the manual so it doesn't matter anyways

I don't think it has a fire pin block, the old ones didn't IIRC. Don't hit it. Yes you can carry it hammer down with the safety off if you want to, if you don't want to then keep the safety on. The DA pull is pretty stiff IIRC. I would not worry about it. I carry my DA weapons hammer down safety off.

I wasn't really worried about a ND as much as say, dropping it (ankle holster) or hitting the hammer on something and discharging it. Somebody had said before that the PPKs do not have a seperate drop safety when the manual safety was disengaged, which is why I asked. I think you're probably right, that the old ones did not have a firing pin safety (drop safety) but the new ones do.

I carry my PPK/s everyday with the safety off and hammer down.
    1st shot will be like DA revolver and after that SA.

FWIW

HH
    HoustonHusker

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    I meant carrying safety off, hammer down so the first shot will still be DA. I disassembled the gun, and there most certainly IS a drop safety, the hammer will not go all the way forward unless the trigger is pulled. I don't really see any reason to carry with the safety on with a 10# trigger pull. No more dangerous than a Glock or my HK with no safety right?

BTW- you never know when you'll have to shoot right now, that's why we all carry right? ;)
    I have a baby eagle with a 12 lb pull in DA, I have no concerns carrying with the safety off and hammer down.

I used to carry my PPK, but it's my nightstand gun now.
    I think it's a great little gun, but, as with most firearms, I've read some negative comments about them.

Anyway, on topic, I've carried it decocked with safety off and I also worried about AD in this case.
    Here's a quote from another site
    http://www.recguns.com/Sources/IIIC2x3.html
    (I cannot attest to the validity of the following statement).

"On the left rear of the slide is the PPK's hammer-dropping safety lever. When the lever is pushed down, the pistol is on 'safe' and the hammer is safely decocked. The lever is pushed up for the 'fire' position. The PPK safety lever blocks the firing pin from moving. There is no passive firing pin block. There is one other internal safety that the manual calls an 'automatic safety' - this safety is independent of the position of the safety lever and is always engaged unless the hammer is cocked or the trigger is pulled all the way back. The 'automatic safety' prevents the hammer from contacting the firing pin when the hammer is at the rest position. If the resting hammer accidentally receives a blow from the rear, it cannot hit the firing pin and fire the pistol. If the pistol is dropped muzzle down and 'safety off', only the inertia of the firing pin against its return spring might cause it to fire."

excellent, thanks for that info. That block is the safety I am seeing, I think I'll go decocked safety off...that euro safety really throws me off ;)

Links