.380 + P in a KelTec ?

This is a discussion on .380 + P in a KelTec ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have some Buffalo Bore 95 gr FMJ that I am carrying in my P3AT but have not shot any of it. Any thoughts on ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MamaMaria
  • 1 Post By rammerjammer

Thread: .380 + P in a KelTec ?

.380 + P in a KelTec ?

I have some Buffalo Bore 95 gr FMJ that I am carrying in my P3AT but have not shot any of it. Any thoughts on this?

2. Remove Ads

My thought is that it is an important step to test any round you intend on carrying, in order to make sure your gun shoots and feeds it well. At minimum, fire a mag or two through each of your magazines. As far as the cartridge itself, I have no experience with it. However, I do see on Buffalo Bore's site that the Kel-Tec was one of the "test" guns they used, and it performed well.
    archer51 likes this.
    EDC--XD9 Service and/or XDs-45 depending on my mood
    Soon-to-be new mama to a S&W 66-2 4"

I like all of my fingers so I would have to say no. Then again you wouldn't find a Kel Tec in my hands.
    sebring likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Re: .380 + P in a KelTec ?

I note that, as far as I know, there is no accepted SAAMI 380 +P standard. I tested Buffalo Bore 380 +P in my Kahr P380 and it worked well. It is a well made pistol. I do not know if other little 380 pistols will handle it as well.

I have shot those out of my Sig P232, they are stout! And the 232 is a heavy gun for a 380.
    My brother-in-law has the P3AT and it is a bit less than fun (comfortable) with target ammo. I suspect that the BB +P ammo in a P3AT
    will be pretty rough, on you and the gun.
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member

Kel Tec says the P3AT will handle +P ammo, assuming you are not using all the time (as in for practice). That said, I would never put ammo in my carry gun that I had not tested on the range first.
    "Hell is truth seen too late."

Quote Originally Posted by zeke4351 View Post
    I have some Buffalo Bore 95 gr FMJ that I am carrying in my P3AT but have not shot any of it. Any thoughts on this?
    You're gonna love it.

BTDT. IMO, the P3AT just isn't designed to take that sort of abuse, day-in and day-out. Neither is the human hand, at least for anything more than about ~20rds a pop it's not. YMMV, but I ended up with extremely bruised and abused webs between my thumb and forefinger, anytime I fired anything approaching a +P round in my P3AT.

I absolutely agree with fully testing a given carry round, no matter what that ends up being. Personally, I carried it for some years while loading it with .380ACP +P's. Didn't shoot those much, but enough that I felt comfortable they'd work well in that gun.

I don't imagine KelTec's going to think much of a steady diet of those through a P3AT, but they'll need to answer that one. I wouldn't have any problems running a couple magazines' worth now and then, in my own P3AT. But that's just me.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The Operator's Manual states you may use +P ammunition, but not for repeated use. Even though this comment is made, I wouldn't. You might not have all your fingers if you do. The Kel Tec is not as substantial as, say, a PPK. Find some 95 gr Winchester Ranger or Gold Dot.

They also have a big disclaimer in bold print that they are not liable if the thing malfunctions or explodes, so caveat emptor.

"Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

.380 + P in a KelTec ?

So you guys think this might kill on both ends? I am not going to use this ammo at all for practice. All other FMJ loads feed great. My son is a trooper and he made fun of my little gun until he shot it. I might have just got lucky but mine is very accurate.

Personally, I wouldn't.

When I read this I decided to read my P3AT manual (mine is about 5 yrs old). It states: it will "accept +P ammunition, however not with continuous use." (emphasis mine) I thought the use of the word "accept" is interesting.....

If you go to Keltec's website Kel Tec CNC it states maximum muzzle energy as 250 ft-lbs.

BB's website lists their 380 +p at 288 ft-lbs.

Just because it will accept it and fire it, doesn't mean you should. YMMV

Administrator
    Buffalo Bore shows that 95gr FMJ as having been velocity tested in the KelTec. They would not post that Chrono# if it could not be safely fired in the KelTec.

1. BDA-3.75 inch barrel----1145 fps
    2. Walther PPK-3.5 inch barrel----1120 fps
    3. Colt Mustang Pocket Lite-2.75 inch barrel----1042 fps
    4. Keltec - 2.75 inch barrel----1019 fps
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

yes you can. it should not hurt anything to fire a mag or maybe two. i would not use it for a all day of shooting. but i would fire one mag to see and feel the bang. then carry away. as with any small cal pocket pistol you are only going to have time to fire a full mag at the problem,,, then run like heck. reloading with the second mag as you go. no reason to stand around and do the tv shoot out. tv shoot out in not what goes on in the real world.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Links