Defensive Carry banner

WAIT! WAIT! WAIT! Looking for low-cost, quality 9mm Alternative

5K views 31 replies 28 participants last post by  1959 
#1 ·
I'm very excited about my choice to purchase a 9mm S&W Shield. However, like many of you, I am on a waiting list for my 1st choice ccw.

Any suggestions for a Low-Cost/Quality ccw that I could use for practice, getting used to carrying, use for tactical classes, etc. until my Shield arrives, sometime in 2015?

Thanks!

#4 ·
This can be a double edged sword. Try to get a gun with the same operating features as your S&W shield. Never under estimate the power of muscle memory. See if you can borrow a gun from a friend to use until yours gets to you. But then again, it is a very good reason to buy another gun, as if we need one.

#8 ·
Ruger LC9 was my second choice. But when i went to the 2 ranges that offered them as rentals, they were BOTH out for repairs! Put a bad taste in my mouth.

#13 ·
i carry the ruger LPC w/CT lazer and have no second thoughts. the .380 is a 9mm with just a little less kick.
i always assumed the idea of cc was to stop something from happening up close and fast.
i like the small pocket holster ruger supplies with it, as it can be shot thru.
i've practiced with it like that and again have no complaints.
it comes out, it goes bang, and the hole is where the laser points. all is good......

forgot to add, i use the hornady defense hollow point rounds, and shooting a gel filled milk bottle shows me they will do what is needed.
they are just too expensive to practice with.

#22 ·
...i like the small pocket holster ruger supplies with it, as it can be shot thru.
i've practiced with it like that and again have no complaints.

Are you able to fire a second and third round when shooting from within the holster like that, or does the slide bind, restricting you to one shot?

#16 ·
UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!! MY SHIELD IS IN!!!!!!!! I just put my request in for this baby 2 days ago! I pick it up in the morning.

John at Cypress Armory in Cypress, Texas ROCKS!!!!!!!

Reactions: Lnafree
#28 ·
Being that I have shot all the ones listed. I prefer the Bersa BP9CC. Just LOVE the trigger and feel of the gun. But as with guns my saying is "it's all ice cream, everyone has their favorite flavor".

#30 ·
yeah I have to side with all of those recommending the Bersa pistols.. either the Thunder 9 UC Pro (which I have an early model of as an EDC), the 45 UC Pro, or the wonderful and all new BP9CC...

The BP9CC as you can see from the pics above, is a beautiful pistol and is a good substitute for those who cant find or get their hands on a Shield.

#32 ·
The M&P 9c is about as close to a Shield as you can get as far as how it feels and shoots. Just a little thicker. I have one and like it just fine, I do prefer my shield.
The Ruger LC9 is the same size as the shield, I have one of them also, and never had any problem with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.