Sig P238 vs S&W bodyguard for first concealed carry (woman) - Page 2

Sig P238 vs S&W bodyguard for first concealed carry (woman)

This is a discussion on Sig P238 vs S&W bodyguard for first concealed carry (woman) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's my take. As a former owner of a 238, I can attest that the gun is downright beautiful. It looks good, feels good, and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Sig P238 vs S&W bodyguard for first concealed carry (woman)

Here's my take. As a former owner of a 238, I can attest that the gun is downright beautiful. It looks good, feels good, and shoots pretty well. But...mine was never reliable. It was repaired more than once, but I still never had a range session without failures of some kind. I know others have had quite the opposite experience, but that was mine.
    Second, I was never quite comfortable carrying it with a round in the chamber and the safety on. Didn't like that extra step (taking it off safe) before the gun became functional, and I certainly wouldn't carry it with one in the chamber and the safety off. Likewise, I wouldn't carry a pistol where I had to rack the slide before I could fire it; just not practical.

I also own a bunch of other carry type guns, including two LCP's and a S&W Airweight. I wouldn't be too quick to sell the LCP short. First, its size and weight make it a gun you will carry. No need to dress around it. That's important. It doesn't matter how well a pistol works if it's at home. Second, it is utterly reliable---as reliable as anything made by man can be. Third, neither I nor my wife have any problem with the recoil. It's just not that big a deal.

So if you can't shoot one, watch someone else shoot one. I think you'll be surprised. If, after that, you still don't like the LCP, get the S&W Bodyguard. It's just better for its intended purpose, I think.

Oh, one more thing. Ruger has the best line of accessories, including hats, shirts, and stuff. I say this only half as a joke. I really do like their hats.

This is wonderful information, everyone. Thank you! A friend of mine is going to to test fire the BG, 238 and LCP for me on Monday. She's about my size, so I'm hoping to get some good feedback from her.

I was thinking about carry options since so many of you have brought it up. It's very unlikely I will pocket carry as I either don't wear pockets in my suites or the pockets are too snug to fit a phone (let alone a gun) into. Purse carry is out of the question. I can't even find my wallet in that stupid thing. It'd be a Greek tragedy if I was in a situation where I needed my gun and the dumb thing was lost in that black hole. So I guess in my mind I've just assumed I would holster carry (mostly open) due to my wardrobe. I suppose that is a "safer" way to carry anyway? Are there other ways to carry other than the 3 I've mentioned?

I feel like I'm leaning toward the Sig, but that extra $250 will depart painfully. Has anyone had luck negotiating prices down at the gun stores when paying cash?

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by JLI View Post
    This is wonderful information, everyone. Thank you! A friend of mine is going to to test fire the BG, 238 and LCP for me on Monday. She's about my size, so I'm hoping to get some good feedback from her.

I was thinking about carry options since so many of you have brought it up. It's very unlikely I will pocket carry as I either don't wear pockets in my suites or the pockets are too snug to fit a phone (let alone a gun) into. Purse carry is out of the question. I can't even find my wallet in that stupid thing. It'd be a Greek tragedy if I was in a situation where I needed my gun and the dumb thing was lost in that black hole. So I guess in my mind I've just assumed I would holster carry (mostly open) due to my wardrobe. I suppose that is a "safer" way to carry anyway? Are there other ways to carry other than the 3 I've mentioned?

I feel like I'm leaning toward the Sig, but that extra $250 will depart painfully. Has anyone had luck negotiating prices down at the gun stores when paying cash?

Thanks again!
    You can waist or thigh carry depending on your wardrobe. Or change out for a small purse that really only contains keys and a wallet and your pistol of choice. Then you wouldn't have a black hole attached to your shoulder.

As for the weapon of choice, I just recently purchased the p238. Picked it up for $500 at Academy Sports. It was the most recent model with the 7 round mag and even the extended fiber optic night sights on it. I ordered some additional mags, but those are pricey. I liked the feel of the bodyguard in my hand, but the stores around here only had 1 that was a display model and the slide was broken on it. The slide literally broke from just open checking it for customers too many times. Something like that doesn't make me want to buy it so I didn't bother with looking for another.

I personally didn't like the feel of the LCP. Way too small/squarish. My hand isn't a box and holding onto what feels like a square zippo light with a trigger like a gun didn't exactly feel right to me. Also, the few LCP's I've checked out all had massive play in the slides. What I mean by that is if I grip the slide from the top at the back on the slide serrations and then try to "roll" it from side to side all the LCP's had a TON of play in them. I mean they felt as if it I wiggled hard enough I would snap the slide off the frame. It just feels cheap to me. All guns are going to have a minor amount of play, but they shouldn't have what I call the equivalent of the body roll a Miata has in a high speed turn.

Despite being a bit more pricey for the p238, I felt it was the best buy to get.

The P238 has been such a hot selling gun that I don't think there is any room for negotiation on price. It'd lucky if you can find one price reasonably in store. Your next best bet is to find one used but those are few and far in between. Even the used ones hold their value pretty well.

Of the two listed, I prefer the S&W.

That said let me be "that guy" for a sec and just challenge your thinking. Most 9mm's have no more recoil than the small .380's but a substantially better track record for doing what a bullet should. I'd seriously look to the Kahr line and see if they aren't something you like.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

So I went with the Sig. I was able to get the Blackwood for $580. I was suprized that they didn't have it at full MSRP ($738). So I spent $180 more than the BG380. On a side note, none of the dealers even have the BG380 in stock. Holy zoo at the gun store today. I got there about 10 min before they opened and there were 20 people waiting. I should have bought the silly thing in September when I wanted to get it, but I decided to wait until the baby came.... that plan failed.

The gun is beautiful. The slide is amazingly easy to rack, so I'm super happy with that. I bought a box of Federal Premium for defense and a box of Fiocchi to take to the range. All I need now is to figure out how I'm going to carry. Thanks for everyone's input!

So I went with the Sig. I was able to get the Blackwood for $580. I was suprized that they didn't have it at full MSRP ($738). So I spent $180 more than the BG380. On a side note, none of the dealers even have the BG380 in stock. Holy zoo at the gun store today. I got there about 10 min before they opened and there were 20 people waiting. I should have bought the silly thing in September when I wanted to get it, but I decided to wait until the baby came.... that plan failed.

The gun is beautiful. The slide is amazingly easy to rack, so I'm super happy with that. I bought a box of Federal Premium for defense and a box of Fiocchi to take to the range. All I need now is to figure out how I'm going to carry. Thanks for everyone's input!
    Good choice and a great price! Have fun and be safe, congrats!
    “A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” --George Washington

JLI, you did good on the Blackwood, the same one I have. I really REALLY like the wood grips. I like it so much that I replace it with a Hogue grip right away, just so I don't damage it while carrying. I will put them back up when I want to show them off. :)

I would recommend shooting it (when you are able) and see how you like the stock setup. I find the stock grip to be a little too thin and too smooth. I can never get comfortable. Between getting the Hogue grip and extended mag, I went with the Hogue grip - grippy and fills in my palm for a better feel.

Anyway, enjoy your new purchase!

VIP Member
    Congrats on your purchase. The only other accessory you really need is an NRA membership and you are all set.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links