Concealed Carry and Lasers? - Page 2

Concealed Carry and Lasers?

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry and Lasers? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had a similar reaction from the instructor who taught my carry class also. I have them on one J frame snub, and often carry ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Concealed Carry and Lasers?

I had a similar reaction from the instructor who taught my carry class also. I have them on one J frame snub, and often carry that one at night when conditions are dark. Most red lasers wont be visible outside at all during daylight, and are fair at best in artifical light. They come into their own once the sun goes down. It is another great tool, and those who tell you they are a gimmick are just giving you their opinion.

You are correct with what you wrote regarding utilizing the iron sights, and using the laser as a backup. As others have stated, batteries die, but i always check my CT grips before holstering it for the day. If lasers were not trusted, the US army would not be utilizing them as much as they do. JMHO.

Bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
    Lasers are very intimidating. Hopefully your and mine will help change somebody's attitude without shots.
    I tend to agree with you. Most "bad guys" who have not shot a handgun or rifle equipped with a laser dont understand that just because you have the laser pointed on their chest or between their eyes, does not guarantee a perfectly placed shot, especially in a stressful situation.

bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Again, I think I said most of that in my original question, the topic is mostly about the reaction and how the feeling is in the community (sorry that got posted before I could finish the statement) and reaction people have to seeing someone who has a gun equipped with a laser sight.
    Last edited by Isaac1; January 11th, 2013 at 07:09 PM.

Hello Forum.

I have wondered about lasers, and have read how some praise them and others say they are not necessary. What do you folks think of the following train of thought within a concealed carry context?

"If they are far enough away that I need a laser to hit them, then I probably don't need to use deadly force. If they are close enough that I need to use deadly force, then I probably don't need a laser. If I don't need to use deadly force, then I don't have the gun out and pointed at them in the first place."

Still haven't bought a laser, but I keep thinking about it.
    Last edited by Hankosaurus; May 4th, 2013 at 10:40 PM. Reason: refine stuff
    HANK
    Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Distinguished Member
    Our house had a CT laser for the wifes 442. She felt that it was a distraction and took it off. I carry a S&W body guard as my bug and it has a laser. I live on a ranch and have started taking the little bodyguard out at night with noises. When the moon is small the laser allows me to fix skunks in the chickens with a great degree of accuracy. If you miss a head shot they let their scent go making a tough night.

I hear the debate on almost every gun discussion I attend. The special forces entry teams use lasers. The SWAT team uses lasers. At night once I fire the first round my night vision is shot and I am pretty much in a point and shoot mode.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    The laser is just another feature. I can't imagine someone not wanting their CCW to be as useful as possible. IMHO, The laser is most desirous in awkward situations, such as when you are unable to aim. In other situations it simply allows better visual awareness by helping avoid tunnel vision and by allowing the pistol to be held below your sightline.

If better, useful, or additional features are available to the user, why not?

The laser is only a tool in my opinion. My eyes aren't what they used to be so the laser helps me insure the muzzle is actually pointing at what it should be pointing at. Is it my primary? No, I use the open sights. But, then again, there is as many opinions for and against the use of a laser. It's up to the individual, not the idiot teaching the course. IT'S A TOOL.
    Richard, SFC US Army (Ret)

“Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?
    Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!” ― Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    IMHO, The laser is most desirous in awkward situations, such as when you are unable to aim. In other situations it simply allows better visual awareness by helping avoid tunnel vision and by allowing the pistol to be held below your sightline.
    I wish I had remembered to include this in my statement above. I actually practice offhand and weak hand at the range using the laser. When the bullet goes where the red dot is without having to expose, then that is a real advantage. IMO
    Richard, SFC US Army (Ret)

“Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?
    Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!” ― Patrick Henry

Lasers seem to be a polarizing topic. Not a lot of opinions fall in the middle. I use them. I think they work and are a valuable asset. Don't pay much attention to me or anyone else. Figure it out for yourself. You will know if the laser helps you or not. If you think it does, use it. If I thought my gun worked better with a popsicle taped to the barrel, that's what I would do regardless of what anyone else thought about it.

A friend who was in the military brought up a good point and I'm wondering if anybody here agrees with him; he said lasers are not good for a home defense situation specifically at night because it gives away your position. What do you think?

I have a CT laser on my G19 but it's a laserguard and not a grip; therefore, I can grip the gun in such a way that the laser only turns on when I'm ready to shoot.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ConditionZero View Post
    A friend who was in the military brought up a good point and I'm wondering if anybody here agrees with him; he said lasers are not good for a home defense situation specifically at night because it gives away your position. What do you think?
    I guess that's why every special purpose military and law enforcement agency in the world refuses to use them.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    I've had a few guns with lasers on them and have done a couple reviews for Crimson Trace like this one:

Range Report: Ruger LCR - Crimson Trace - Ruger Forum

Liked the CT laser on my LCP as well.

I'm eagerly awaiting the release of the Accu-Grip for LCRs from CT.

CSG
    I really don't care what others think but I added a Lasermax to my LCP. It has an on/off switch unlike the grip button CT's. It's a tool that's there if needed. It's great for dry fire practice, especially with one of these little .380s.

The comment above about not "trusting my life to batteries" is a little off the mark. Trusting your life to your weapon and training, well, that makes more sense. If your laser fails that doesn't mean your weapon or its sights fail.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwill72 View Post
    I don't see a problem using lasers.
    In the past 3-4 weeks I've been getting edumacated on Lasers. With my eyes I need a Laser or a Ray Gun. Laser is way mo practical and less paperwork. (Wood it be so difficult to remove grip on 1 side and scotch tape 2 spare batts wrapped in wax paper or SaranWrap.) Or 2 sp batts in Fob on Keyring.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

How many rounds per mag in LCR??
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links