Concealed Carry and Lasers?

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry and Lasers? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After years of putting it off I finally decided to get a concealed carry permit and took a concealed carry class recently. The gun I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Concealed Carry and Lasers?

Concealed Carry and Lasers?

After years of putting it off I finally decided to get a concealed carry permit and took a concealed carry class recently. The gun I choose to take to the class was a sub compact 9mm equipped with a Crimson Trace grip laser, when I mentioned having it in the course of one of the question and answer session prior to the shooting portion of the class I was rather surprised at the rather negative reaction towards use of a laser I received from the course instructor, mostly dismissing lasers as useless gimmicks at best and dangerous at worst. So I am here asking how wide spread this feeling is in the community, particularly when talking about lasers like the Crimson Trace with grip mounted automatic activation?

Note I am not one of those that feels lasers are a substitute for proper aiming techniques, in fact only a couple of my handguns have lasers, and the vast majority of the rounds I have fired over the years have been without the use of a laser sighting system. As I explained in the class my main reason for choosing the laser grip is that my vision is not what it once was, and the ability to change focus with depth of field reduces with age, this makes using short radius handgun sights more difficult, and in a real world shooting situation nearly impossible to use if I were to loose my glasses (perhaps while diving for cover, etc.)

thanks for your thoughts on the subject

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    IMO and JUST MY OPINION... I the small amount of time we are talking about in a self defense situation, you won't be using any sights, laser or otherwise. I put my efforts into my draw, moving off the X and point shooting

I'd never trust my aim to anything with batteries.
    “Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I run a CT on my 1911, and as I am a point shooter it is a huge help given my 56 year old eyes in low light. An aide, not a substitute. BtW the batteries have always been good, even though I swap em out every New Years.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Even if the battery fails when i need it, it has improved my intuitive pointing ability without looking at the sights. LCP sights aren't much to look at.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Lasers can't hurt as long as you dont come to depend on them. Know that they can fail, but they can also be helpful. In a home defense situation you can use them to shoot around corners a little easier etc. I believe some places offer specific training courses with lasers
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

So, how did you do in the class? Do you feel the laser helped YOU? That's all that matters.

I ran a CT laser-equipped LCP through a low light pistol class. The results spoke for themselves. I was the only student who never once missed the target, and the only one with shots grouped on the vitals. So there you go.

The Case for Lasers | Cornered Cat

Practicing with Laser Grips | Cornered Cat
    tmoore912 likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Lasers can and have been very helpful in self defense situations. I'm a sights shooter, but like having the laser to compliment them for awkward shooting positions and lighting conditions.

Tam puts it into perspective here: View From The Porch: See the dot. Be the dot. Shoot the dot.

Is it a cure-all? Heck, no. You still need to know how to use your sights. The laser is an adjunct, not a substitute for basic marksmanship skills. But when even Jim Cirillo, who killed more bad guys than Cecil B. DeMille, said that a laser is a worthwhile addition to a fighting gun, I tend to sit up and take notice.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

I did not intend to use the laser during the qualification shoot (there is a small button to deactivate it for those that don't have them) however the recoil kept turning the laser back on, mostly due to the not having much practice with them. As to how I did, I would say ok, I was not going for pinpoint accuracy, but trying to practice some of the techniques that they taught like feeling for trigger reset, stance adjustment, etc. My 36 rounds at 20 feet were all within about an 8 inch group (all were at least within the size of the replaceable center insert), which was way better than needed to qualify in this state. We had about a dozen people in the class at least one was a first time shooter, all qualified on their first attempt. Qualifying is a bit like hitting the side of barn, 36 shots all must hit somewhere on a standard B-27 target at 20 ft.

I don't use lasers. By the time you figure out where it is pointing I can shoot you to the ground. I use Tritium night sights which now include my new Meprolights that are fully adjustable on my G-19. Going to the Armed Society Meeting/Match in Memphis in March and awaiting my time to shoot the Low Light Reactive Targets courses. This will be after lots of classroom training from some of the best instructors in the country. This range is a Hot Range where you can have a loaded gun on you in the store, training rooms and range. As the info said for the participants, "Memphis is one of the most Violent Cities and you do not want to be walking around here unarmed". Practice makes perfect for any training. Repeat again and again. I do a yearly "Qualification" match every year to test my abilities. I will be doing that the weekend before Memphis in March! I am also 65 years old and have taken 5 Gun Fighting courses in the last 3 years with 1 re-furb course.
    Easy8 likes this.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

I don't see a problem using lasers.
    ripley16 and NONAME762 like this.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I have a CT laser on three of my SD weapons and IMO is an added tool but requires practice in the daytime and nighttime.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    In my last CCW cert class we were indoors. The instructor was having the group of students draw on him when he said "go". The last time when he said go, assistant turn out the lights. While I was able to sweep and find him with the laser, I made a pretty good target doing so. Lesson; dont lase until you are near the target at night.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Lasers are very intimidating. Hopefully your and mine will help change somebody's attitude without shots.
    At one with the gun.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac1 View Post
    After years of putting it off I finally decided to get a concealed carry permit and took a concealed carry class recently. The gun I choose to take to the class was a sub compact 9mm equipped with a Crimson Trace grip laser, when I mentioned having it in the course of one of the question and answer session prior to the shooting portion of the class I was rather surprised at the rather negative reaction towards use of a laser I received from the course instructor, mostly dismissing lasers as useless gimmicks at best and dangerous at worst. So I am here asking how wide spread this feeling is in the community, particularly when talking about lasers like the Crimson Trace with grip mounted automatic activation?

Note I am not one of those that feels lasers are a substitute for proper aiming techniques, in fact only a couple of my handguns have lasers, and the vast majority of the rounds I have fired over the years have been without the use of a laser sighting system. As I explained in the class my main reason for choosing the laser grip is that my vision is not what it once was, and the ability to change focus with depth of field reduces with age, this makes using short radius handgun sights more difficult, and in a real world shooting situation nearly impossible to use if I were to loose my glasses (perhaps while diving for cover, etc.)

thanks for your thoughts on the subject
    just search this forum for lasers. there are plenty of people who've already covered this in depth. a laser is a tool. it has a purpose. it does not replace iron sights or the need to know how to use them.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links