Need some advice on the Glock 30 and P45

This is a discussion on Need some advice on the Glock 30 and P45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am going to be getting a new handgun for the primary purpose of concelment. I am wondering if anyone out has fired the Glock ...

I am going to be getting a new handgun for the primary purpose of concelment. I am wondering if anyone out has fired the Glock 30 and the Kahr P45.I have not been able to find anything that compares the two of these guns. Any information would be helpful. ie, shot groups, malfunctions, likes, dislikes. Thanks

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    i own and have carried the G30 for extensive periods....
    imo it is one of the best 45 autos on the market in any price range....
    well built, simplistic, durable, dependable and accurate are terms which accurately describe this firearm....
    The GLOCK design does lack in that it does not offer 2nd strike capability, a flaw which though minor could be a determining factor in a "click-no bang" scenario..... The fact that I have had the displeasure of making Murphy's acquaintance on more than a few occasions makes this part of the equation for myself in deciding what to carry and is why I carry a BUG in most instances (hence the Sig as Primary)

Another option you may consider, as I am currently is the HK USPc 45....

I haven't fired the p45, so I am unable to pontificate on its merits or deficits....

Good luck in your decision....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

I have carried a Glock for almost 20 years (damn, am I that old?...) and IMHO, the "second strike" capability is a non-issue, and I have never had a hard primer in umpteen thousand rounds of quality carry ammo, only cheap practice ammo. If you get a bad primer, you can drop the hammer on it forever and it won't go bang. Tap-Rack-Bang should be practiced until it is second nature.

I've also shot my G30 thousands of rounds with no problems, but I agree with JKFrost68(practice T-R-B).
    I'd be interested to hear about the Kahr 45, though I don't think it has the capacity of the G30(10rds). I've had a Kahr MK9 elite for a while and have had no problems with it.
    ...one jagged hole!

Glock 30 or Glock 36?

Quote Originally Posted by FPGold View Post
    I am going to be getting a new handgun for the primary purpose of concelment. I am wondering if anyone out has fired the Glock 30 and the Kahr P45.I have not been able to find anything that compares the two of these guns.
    Did you mean to say the Glock 36 rather than the Glock 30? The G36 is a single stack gun with 6+1 capacity, like the Kahr P45. The Glock 30 is a wider, double stack gun with 9+1 round capacity.

Both are good pistols......

I had two Glock 30's over the years, but found them a bit chunky for CCW. The 10 round mag capacity is nice, and you can go to a 9 rd for alittle better concealability and us 13 rds G21 mags too. Nice package over all. One I sold to a friend who still uses it as a truck gun.
    The G36, as mentioned, is a little closer to the P45.....and is is a functional fairly flat .45.
    Never shot the P45 yet, but have fired several other Kahr's. Never had a problem with them. My ex-girlfriend had a PM9 that I shot quite a bit, and it seemed to fit my hand better than the chunky Glocks. The Kahrs were very accurate and had a nice DAO trigger.
    I am used to the 1911 format and like my CCW's flat and .45 caliber. I'd think I'd try the Kahr before the Glock 30/36 personally. But I am waiting for the PM45, in a year or two, to have a small, light backup .45acp.......!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    for pure ccw use i personaly would go with the kahr since it is slimmer , I have shot a friends p45 , and am trying to work a trade out ( he trades off guns with amazing regulairity ) so you know my preferances , but you wouldnt be ill served with a glock either assuming you can handle the girth of it .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by JKFrost68 View Post
    I have carried a Glock for almost 20 years (damn, am I that old?...) and IMHO, the "second strike" capability is a non-issue, and I have never had a hard primer in umpteen thousand rounds of quality carry ammo, only cheap practice ammo. If you get a bad primer, you can drop the hammer on it forever and it won't go bang. Tap-Rack-Bang should be practiced until it is second nature.
    agreed
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKFrost68 View Post
    true, tap rack bang should be practiced in all its variants, weak handed, one handed, weak one handed, etc.... that goes with any hg....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Glock 30 vs. Kahr P45

I have carried a Glock 30 for several years and have found it relible, accurate, and easy to conceal even though it is a bit thick. In my opinion, the Glock 30 is one of the best handguns ever made. Mine has several thousand rounds through it without the hint of a malfunction.

I have'nt shot the P45, but I have had a PM40 for several years and have had reliablity problems with it.

I have been carrying a G30 for about a year. I would recommend it. I have a buddy that had the P40 I think, .40 is what he has. It was a ok shooter the one time I tried it.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

i got the g30 and the g36. both are great guns. for carry i would go with the g36. i have several glocks (9mm, 40 and 45 cal) and all of them have several K's rounds down range and malfunctions have been zero. i don't know anything about the kahr or do i know anyone that has one. i have carried a glock on the job for over 16 years as primary. so you can say i have bet the bank on glock.

Thanks for the feedback.

As others have mentioned the G36 is one that you might want to consider. I have owned several Glocks and one Kahr MK9. IMO the Glocks are more reliable. The G36 is slimmer than the rest of the Glock line up and is very comfortable for IWB carry. 6+1 capacity of 185 gr Speer Gold Dot should do the trick. But I always carry extra mags, they are slim and fit in a pocket nicely.

If you have your heart set on the G30, it would probably be more comfortable to carry OWB. Good luck.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Links