What about Smith 9mm Revolver?

This is a discussion on What about Smith 9mm Revolver? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone has any info on the Smith and Wesson 9mm revolver. I recently seen one in a gun rag. It was hammerless and looked awesome ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What about Smith 9mm Revolver?

Anyone has any info on the Smith and Wesson 9mm revolver. I recently seen one in a gun rag. It was hammerless and looked awesome for carry. Any pics, ranger reports. I am in the market for a new carry piece.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Taurus

I think they do not make the Smith anymore. I tried to find one bcasue I wanted a revolver for the wife in the same caliber as my carry guns and one of the carbines. Instead I bought a Taurus 9mm revolver and the gun shoots very well. I am thinking of adding some Crimson Trace Laser grips to it for night aiming to help to wife and myself.

I have a 940 S&W revolver. Shoots good, has a bit more power than the same gun in .38. The only drawback is that it needs moon clips to work. I carry two moon clips in the same space as one .38 speedloader. No way to top off the gun in the middle, it's all or nothing. Mine did not like the Cor Bon 95 (or was it 90) grain JHP. Stuck in the chambers. I shoot 124gr +P Golden Saber in it.

9mm revolvers

In the past S&W and Ruger have both produced revolvers in 9mm caliber, but at the present time I believe that Taurus is the only manufacturer currently producing them.

The idea of a 9mm revolver is attractive, although you have to use moon clips to hold the ammunition. 9mm ballistics from a short barrel are pretty good, and probably compare well to .38 special +P or even lighter .357 magnum loads. But if you want a S&W or Ruger in that caliber today you have to look for a used gun.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I have one of the taurus , and its a sweet little revolver , it will fire without the moon clips fine , but of course wont extract without them . Personaly i like moon clips , they are a bit faster than a speedloader , and with a speedloader its all or nothing also , not much gain in speed but for shure no loss in utility for me . S&W has made a couple of vairiants of 9mm revolvers over the years , some using clips some using a strange spring loaded extractor setup .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Moderator
    I've kinda been interested in a 9mm revolver myself. Seems like it'd be everything a .38spl. would be and then some. You could use the same ammo in an auto and rev.

I'm a little surprised the 9mm revolver hasn't caught on more.

old gun with moon clips. nothing wrong with the gun, well made, etc,,,, gun was made when s&w made great hand guns. it will be on the same line as the 38sp. but if you go with 38sp +p+ it will be hotter than the 9mm. but,,, there is some 9mm +p ammo out there.

Assistant Administrator
    If I could find and afford a specimen of the Ruger SP in 9mm I'd go for it - that with 124 +P Speer Gold Dots would make one nice carry option.

Wish they hadn't discontinued it.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator

Post Sorry BlueLion ~ I'm the odd man out on this one

- I had better duck & run for this post of mine.

Warning: QKShooter Bubble Buster Post.

The mandatory use of moon clips is always a total turn off to me.

There is no real ballistic ballistic advantage to the 9 over a hot .38+P and the revolver is forever handcuffed to accessory moon clips or the wheel gun is rendered totally useless to practical defense purposes.

No Thanks...not for me...I'll always pass on any moon clip burdened wheelie or one that won't extract cartridges without them.

That's why it's not being made anymore...obviously lots of people passed or S&W would still be making it.

I don't bite into the "mystique" that there is any real advantage (at all) to shoving 9mm pistol ammo into a wheel gun.

For me personally I don't see anything so "Magic" or uniquely wonderful about the 9mm that we need to stick it into revolvers at a greatly reduced capacity.

The 9mm is a small diameter cartridge and that fact makes it nicely advantageous for use in Hi Cap double stack pistols where you have a 12+1 13+1 16+1 (pick a number) cartridge capacity advantage before a reload is necessary.
    That advantage is truly LOST in a moon clip wheelie.

In the United States...are we ever going to find ourselves in a SHTF survival scenario where there is only 9mm ammo available and NO .38 Special? I would seriously doubt it.

Are you EVER going to find yourself in a self~defensive scenario where you are going to run out of .38 Special or .357 Magnum carry ammo & some benevolent Good Guy is going to come running over to you with some extra 9mm pistol ammo ~
    "Oh Damn! I can't use it in my .38 revolver! I'm a dead man!"

I hardly think so. That's somewhat delusional.

Concerning ammo compatibility - I could see the logic in that if we were living in Cuba where the only available ammunition was military surplus. The supply of .38 or .357 ammo is never going "dry up" if the balloon goes up.

So what advantage can I see with a revolver that bangs only 9mm ?? - cheaper to shoot bulk mil spec ball maybe...but, that's all.

Just my personal opinion...I'm sure some will disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    In the United States...are we ever going to find ourselves in a SHTF survival scenario where there is only 9mm ammo available and NO .38 Special? I would seriously doubt it.
    Yeah, but in a true SHTF scenario, it would be easier to find 9mm. You could also mooch it from National Guard units and the like.

I also like the idea of having the fewest amount of ammo needs. It's the same reason I bought a KelTech p32 instead of the p3at. My old lady likes her Tomcat, so I went with .32acp as well. That way I can keep fewer types of ammo in the safe. If there was a SHTF move type deal, I'm stuck lugging around only a few types of ammunition instead of 30 different kinds. Sounds more practical to me.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    QK is right in that the 9mm revolver really is impractical... or at the very least really doesn't give you anything that another firearm doesn't do as well or better already.

Having said all that, I'm thinking about picking up a Ruger Speed Six in 9mm, just for the heck of it. I wanna collect 1 each of every Speed Six type made. Should be doable.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Cost of practice ammo favors 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
    QK is right in that the 9mm revolver really is impractical... or at the very least really doesn't give you anything that another firearm doesn't do as well or better already.
    There is one advantage of the 9mm revolver over .38 special that nobody has mentioned yet. Practice ammo in 9mm is considerably cheaper than .38 special.

In my last visit to Walmart 2 weeks ago I bought 100 rounds of Winchester 9mm and 100 rounds of Winchester .38 special. The 9mm was $12.88 and the .38 special was $19.97. So the 9mm cost exactly 64.5% as much as the .38.

I was also about to post a "thumbs-down" but QKShooter beat me to it and covered the main important points. I would add that I don't like the idea of not being able to reload without effectively losing a bunch of live rounds.

Moon clips also tend to be fragile.

For a carry weapon, I'd pass on a 9mm revolver.

Hey, QK no problem, you actually made me think a little. Just wanting another wheelie and I will leave the snub at home for the wife. The 1911 is currently in the safe and may see duty in the winter. I just need to outfit it with a good holster and mag carrier. Anyway good post QK.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

VIP Member
    I like the idea surrounding 9mm revolvers for all of the reasons stated here.

While I don't own a S&W 940, I also own a Taurus 905 (blued with a concealed hammer). It's a tiny thumper of a gun.

I like the idea behind moon clips; no need to twist or push any knobs; just shove clips and ammo in the cylinders, close the cylinder and away you go. Alas, the Taurus "stellar" moon clips are anything but stellar....they plain suck. I wish Ranch Products made some replacement moon clips for the Taurus.

By the way, I can't wait for the Taurus 10mm revolver to make its debut! I hope it lasts longer than the sweet and lamented S&W 610 10mm revolver.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links