Thinking about getting my first .45 - Page 2

Thinking about getting my first .45

This is a discussion on Thinking about getting my first .45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm sure there are many good short barrel 45's out there. Due to several poor performance issues it's my personal preference to stay with only ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Thinking about getting my first .45

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    I'm sure there are many good short barrel 45's out there. Due to several poor performance issues it's my personal preference to stay with only full sized 45's similar in action style to the Colt that the 45 ACP was designed for. It's a great defense round but very susceptible to loading & ejection issues in the shorter action of short barrel pistols. Of course I'm 6-4 285# so carrying a larger pistol is a bit easier for me than it would be for a shorter smaller framed individual. The other advantage is more distance between the front and rear sites. Makes it easier and more accurate to shoot. Probably wouldn't matter in a real defense situation but make me feel more warm and fuzzy.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    I'd have to agree with the majority here. The Glock 30 is a great gun and could actually serve a dual home/carry purpose. (For under $700 to boot)
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

In .45, I go to my HK USP

Consider an HK45 if you have the money. Fantastic gun and feels just really great in the hand.

Glock 21SF (slim frame) would be my next choice.

Of course I am a 1911 man for a .45, but I did love my HK45 before I parted with it to fund a 1911 purchase.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

If you're partial to Glocks and already have some, it's hard to argue with the G21 you are considering.

I'd have a hard time saying "no" to a CZ 97 .45ACP, myself. Or a HK45C.

My first .45 was a 1911 (though relatively short-lived), a STI Shadow (CCO size). A tad more than your $700 budget, but once the slide stop and extractor issues were ironed out it was rock solid.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Thinking about getting my first .45

If you like the feel and recoil impulse of 1911, then I suggest the HK USP Expert. The Expert uses a slightly longer slide. For whatever reason, this balances out the feel of the pistol IMO.

The USP is an extremely reliable firearm, and the quality is next level. If you decide to invest the money in this particular pistol you will not be disappointed. And the value will not go down, unlike many other massed-produced pistols.

Congrats on wanting to own a 45ACP. That's my favorite caliber and I can shoot it well both strong and weak hand. I'm looking to get a G30SF next month.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    If you can find one to buy, the Glock 21 is an excellent choice. The trick right now is finding one to buy. My LGS can't find a gun anyplace. The locas distributor in Harrisburg is out of handguns. The LGS has a few Glock 40's but the owners says people want the 9mm or the .45. He has a bunch of 1911 .45's, Remington R1 models for various prices, couple of Springfields, but they don't sell like Glocks, at least for him. The fact that they cost a couple hundred to four hundred bux more and hold less rounds might have something to do with that.

Fitch
    Last edited by Fitch; January 12th, 2013 at 09:35 PM.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

I have the glock 30sf and the xds45.So far,so good.

Re: Thinking about getting my first .45

The M&P .45s are very nice, I have one myself.

As for round count though, they're only capable of 10 rounds with a flush magazine. You can get a 14 round mag, but they're awfully long.

I couldn't find any Gen IV G21s when I was ready to buy, so I opted for the M&P.

One downside to HK is the mags are really expensive.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I would look at the Sig P220 series. All metal means a little more weight but they are sweet shooting pistols.

My recommendation(s) would be: 1) Sig Sauer P220, or 2) Glock 30sf. I also like the HK45C, but I don't think you can find one inside your budget.

Just traded for a FNX45 yesterday and if it shoots as good as it feels to the hand it should be a great weapon. If it ever stops raining i will shoot it and report back.
    Good luck with your purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by PAPADALE1 View Post
    Just traded for a FNX45 yesterday and if it shoots as good as it feels to the hand it should be a great weapon. If it ever stops raining i will shoot it and report back.
    Good luck with your purchase.
    By the way. This is my first semi-auto .45acp.

Glock 21 is my carry gun at work.

As good a shooting .45 as I have ever come across. I shoot it as well or better than my 9mms.

For a home defense pistol I don't believe you can go wrong with a Glock 21.

The gen 4 models with different backstraps make it easier to fit different hand sizes.
    I leave off the straps and add a custom fit sleeve. It not only helps fit the grip to my hand it also helps protect against the occasional ding on the handle getting in and out of vehicles.
    "Only the Sith deal in absolutes."

"My dog is smarter than your honor student."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links