Army likely to "Dump" 9MM for 40s&w or 45's?

This is a discussion on Army likely to "Dump" 9MM for 40s&w or 45's? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Smitty901 Very few agreed with the switch in the first place. I was there the day we turn the 45's in to ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Army likely to "Dump" 9MM for 40s&w or 45's?

Glocks bad????

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Very few agreed with the switch in the first place. I was there the day we turn the 45's in to be melted down.
    NATO was the driving force behind the change. It was a bad Idea and even worst to have it foreign made.
    No way it will be a Glock. They can't stand up .
    I too was there when the .45's were collected and the 9mm"s handed out. Needless to say the 9mm's were not well recieved for many reasons. It was after this that the vast majority of the special operations community (U.S. Army) began to use various other makes/models as their primary sidearm. I myself went to a Colt 10mm Delta Elite, but many others switched over to Sigs and Glocks with little to no issues at all. Based on my experience they'll "stand up" just fine. As for today, the entire military has learned to adapt and make the most out of the 9mm and the reliability flaws of the early M9's has been cured for the most part. I can still promise you that a Glock in either .40 or .45 would be well recieved by our current frontline service personnel due to the fact that special operations have been and are still using them to meet certain mission requirements for over 20yrs with much success. Whether this will ever actually happen or not remains to be seen. Lot's of politics have to be overcome.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Please. I'm no fanboy, but that's a ridiculous statement.
    It is ridiculus. I had a choice between Glock and Sig to carry when in and I chose Sig because it worked for me. Other folks preferred Glock. I joke a lot about Glock but they are a fine weapon....still short of Sig though
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Its not going to happen lol....As long as were apart of NATO and ISAF operations, it will be the 9mm and 5.56. If it does I hope Glock gets it, I just got smart though and used a black marker on the red dots below the decocker. Keeps the fobbits of me..... "Exuse me, your weapon is on fire!" IT IS!?!?!? OMG
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

Does the military not have confidence in it's soldiers and believe that they cannot safely handle a gun without a safety?

Quote Originally Posted by ExaltedOne View Post
    Does the military not have confidence in it's soldiers and believe that they cannot safely handle a gun without a safety?
    Im going to be honest, The quality of people in the Army, from what I have seen, are not the brightest.... Just sayin'
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

No, they train as if everyone is a complete moron. And some of the guys I went through basic with made me get why...
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

The short answer; NO!
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

yup. Look at it this way: every person who suppose to carry a sidearm by TOE/TDA will carry one whether they are competent or not. Most service members do not handle firearms that frequently. Combat arms, MPs, SF...Most others will qualify once a year
    guardmt likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by Dooger View Post
    I highly doubt anything will change. This comes up often...
    Yep. The rumor that "the Army is dumping [insert whatever system here]" comes up about once a month. I'll believe it when I see it.

Food for thought: In a time when spending is decreasing, do you really think that they are going to invest in a contract to replace all sidearms across the board and rework the logistics to maintain and supply ammo for them?

Lets not think that the Army speaks for the other services... Navy still issues M9 Beretta's...

and in other news from Beretta:
    In September 2012, Beretta USA announced that the US Army had bought 100,000 M9 pistols and that the M9 "would remain their sidearm for the next five years.
    The M9 was scheduled to be replaced under a United States Army program, the Future Handgun System (FHS), which was merged with the SOF Combat Pistol program to create the Joint Combat Pistol (JCP). In early 2006, the JCP was renamed Combat Pistol (CP), and the number of pistols to be bought was drastically cut back. The joint U.S. Army/Air Force Modular Handgun System could select a commercial off-the-shelf handgun to replace the M9 pistol in Fiscal Year 2013–14 if budget funds allows the implementation of the study.
    I doubt the military will have sufficient funding now that the "cliff" is within sight.
    what say you?
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

When dealing with hundreds of thousands of people, then you have to concern yourself with the lowest common denominator.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    yup. Look at it this way: every person who suppose to carry a sidearm by TOE/TDA will carry one whether they are competent or not. Most service members do not handle firearms that frequently. Combat arms, MPs, SF...Most others will qualify once a year
    Only once a year huh? Is it a money issue or are these individuals that will not see combat?

At the time we switched to to the 9mm for NATO Things were different NATO is not so tight woven together anymore.
    They have slipped the 45 back in here and there many units have been authorized 45's in place of the 9mm just no a permanent change and no major press about it.
    There have been rumors of the 45 coming back for a long time. I am sure most would be happy to see it.
    I stand by Glocks be highly over rated if they were half as good as Glock followers claim they would have some sales to back it it they don't.
    Used them not impressed .

At the time we switched to to the 9mm for NATO Things were different NATO is not so tight woven together anymore.
    They have slipped the 45 back in here and there many units have been authorized 45's in place of the 9mm just no a permanent change and no major press about it.
    There have been rumors of the 45 coming back for a long time. I am sure most would be happy to see it.
    I stand by Glocks be highly over rated if they were half as good as Glock followers claim they would have some sales to back it it they don't.
    They don't have sales numbers??? They've moved a ton of product so I don't know what you're trying to say. If you imply LE contracts, I'd argue that's a bogus argument since that is the lowest bidder and not based on a true quality standard.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You don't think Glock has high sales numbers? Or are you just talking in military numbers only? If so, they're probably higher that you think, and would be higher if they added an external safety.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links