Army likely to "Dump" 9MM for 40s&w or 45's?

This is a discussion on Army likely to "Dump" 9MM for 40s&w or 45's? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Clink the link below: This article from National Defense Magazine Outdated Weapons Bring Calls for Speedier Upgrades Seems the 9mm may be replaced ending the ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Army likely to "Dump" 9MM for 40s&w or 45's?

Clink the link below: This article from National Defense Magazine

Outdated Weapons Bring Calls for Speedier Upgrades

Seems the 9mm may be replaced ending the argument which caliber is superior?

Clips from Article:

"..After the M4ís shortcomings, troops complain the most about their aging and "underpowered 9mm" M9 pistols, Coburn added".

"..The requirement document does not specify what caliber the new handgun should be, leaving an opening for the old-school .45 caliber or the in-between .40 caliber that has become popular with law enforcement agencies. A change in caliber seems more likely in light of complaints about the lethality of the 9mm round. Pavlick said the lack of punch the smaller round delivers has been a constant concern in after-action reports."

"The Army currently has 238,000 M9 pistols. It plans to buy 265,000 replacements"

Of Course Glock will be in the hunt to be the next Army Pistol - if the Glock "safety" can be successfully argued in proposal. Fascinating Article.

Is the 9mm going to be dumped? Looks like it will. What do you guys/gals think?

As long as the military is limited to ball ammo, it's got to be 230gr 45acp all the way.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Whatever replacement is selected, I'd bet on it having an external safety. That's just the military way.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Maybe that will make 9mm ammo more available, well after the crazy buying stops.
    ExactlyMyPoint, Honk and sixgun like this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Very few agreed with the switch in the first place. I was there the day we turn the 45's in to be melted down.
    NATO was the driving force behind the change. It was a bad Idea and even worst to have it foreign made.
    No way it will be a Glock. They can't stand up .

NMB
    The logical choice would be .40sw. Capacity is close to 9mm, huge production already in the US with it being the #1 Law Enforcement cartridge.

Aside from the .45 will blow a man clean in half argument, why wouldnt they go to .40?
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Very few agreed with the switch in the first place. I was there the day we turn the 45's in to be melted down.
    NATO was the driving force behind the change. It was a bad Idea and even worst to have it foreign made.
    Please. I'm no fanboy, but that's a ridiculous statement.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I respectfully disagree. Glocks can hold up, their shortcoming will be a lack of safety features.
    Brad426, OldVet, RonCo and 2 others like this.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

Iraq 2004 to 2011.
    Afghanistan 2012 to present.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRick View Post
    I respectfully disagree. Glocks can hold up, their shortcoming will be a lack of safety features.
    This may be Gaston's saving grace - his original theory on safeties... From the article:
    "While the Army will likely require an external safety on its primary sidearm, the M9’s safety is a classic shortcoming for troops trying to reload quickly, especially when wearing gloves. The safety selector is located at the rear end of the slide among grooves meant to improve grip when cocking the pistol. Troops have a tendency to accidentally activate the safety while cocking or reloading the weapon, a definite drawback in close-quarters combat.

But as you say thats probably not the army way of doing things. But for close combat (of which most times is real bad) Glock would be best choice.

I would be surprised to see the military standardize on a round that our allies do not use. I think the NATO concept will still win. But that is just an opinion from a civy.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Cant stand up to what just curious? I'm not saying they are the best thing since sliced bread but not really understanding what you mean by that statement. I own three of them and like others have said probably because of an external safety may be why, but you have to admit you can abuse them and they still work.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Maybe that will make 9mm ammo more available, well after the crazy buying stops.
    Given our current administration, I'd imagine they would sell the surplus 9mm ammo to whichever terrorist organization or drug cartel they are looking to support before they'd let it hit the U.S. market.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Given our current administration, I wouldn't be surprised if he reinstituted the musket.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by Backfire View Post
    Seems the 9mm may be replaced ending the argument which caliber is superior?
    by that logic we should all carry only fmj as well. at least fmj 40 should come down in price.

VIP Member
    Enlighten us please.......The torches are lit.......I actually think a Gen 4 Glock 21 FDE would make a fantastic service pistol.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links