Thoughts on Sig P250 Compact?

This is a discussion on Thoughts on Sig P250 Compact? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My husband is looking at the Sig P250 Compact .40. Just wanted to get some general thoughts on it from some more experienced CC owners. ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By buckshotshorty
  • 1 Post By smolck

Thread: Thoughts on Sig P250 Compact?

My husband is looking at the Sig P250 Compact .40. Just wanted to get some general thoughts on it from some more experienced CC owners. We're just moving into the carry part of gun ownership. One question I have is the price.... it seems a little low for a Sig. I know it doesn't come with a case. Is that one of the reasons????

I own several Sig 250s. All mine came with cases. In my opinion the 250 is one of the most underrated firearms around. Traditional Sig owners hated them because it moved Sig in to the polymer frame group. Many do not like the long double action only trigger...this is probably the biggest complaint. My 250s collectively have over 3000 rounds of flawless fire, and most often I carry a 250 Subcompact in 40 cal.

What I like most:1. lack of unnecessary controls. Long trigger pull requires a deliberate action and it is unnecessary to have additional safeties that couls cause trouble if the gun is needed.
    2. Mine have been 100% reliable. What good is a defensive gun if it doesn't work?
    3. Superbly accurate.
    4. The lightest feeling smoothest double action trigger I've ever had.
    5. Came with night sights
    6. The ability to morph the gun into any caliber and size you want by way of X-change kits.

For carry, I have found the subcompact to be more comfortable for all day carry and also to be more easily concealable, even though the difference in size between compact and subcompact seems negligible. I own a sub in 9mm, 40 cal. and 45 acp, but for some reason carry the 40 most often.

To answer your first question about price, when the 250 first came out about 3 years ago, it was initially costing in the $600s bracket (I paid $640 for my first subcompact). Sig reduced price to stimulate sales and prices have been kept low.

If you like the double action trigger, by all means buy with confidence.
    gun_bushido likes this.

Thanks! I'll let him know. He was really leaning toward it and I think your 6 points will just reaffirm for him. I'll ask the dealer why it doesn't have the case. He has the original box that it was shipped in. I saw it today when I picked up my 238. It's only been in the store for a week. Huh.

Quote Originally Posted by JLI View Post
    Thanks! I'll let him know. He was really leaning toward it and I think your 6 points will just reaffirm for him. I'll ask the dealer why it doesn't have the case. He has the original box that it was shipped in. I saw it today when I picked up my 238. It's only been in the store for a week. Huh.
    You mean it comes in a cardboard box? All mine came in a plastic case. Even the X-change kits do.

Yeah... It has the SIG box. It's the official SIG box with logos.

I own the Sig P2502SUM. It came in a cardboard box. I've looked online to buy a plastic 2SUM case but can't find one. It's not that big of a deal but I do like the hard cases. I'm a Pelican dealer so I'll just order a Pelican case and use one of them. I enjoy the 2Sum (9mm) a lot. My other Sig is the P238 which I carry most of the time.

I just bought a P250 Compact in .40 last year. Its been rough to get used to the DAO since I'm used to my 1911A1 (which I can still shoot better at the moment) and the few times I've trained with a M9 in the military. I think I need to put more rounds through it for sure. I can hit a target but I want to keep a good consistent rate of fire, while staying on target at 15 and under. But I do quite well with well aimed shots at 25 yds. This is probably going to become my future CC weapon now that Illinois has something to work with.

My only major qualm is the magazine release is really small and hard to release with one digit. I've found I have to remove my trigger finger from its safe position alongside the frame and use the meaty inner portions of my thumb/trigger finger on both sides of the release to get a consistent and smooth release on the slide. Or I guess a speed combat racking of the slide would get me the same result.

Other than that I need to get a 2nd gen floor plate for a 1st gen mag I bought since it was cheap and I assumed getting the 2nd gen plates wouldn't cost much. Then I'll have two mags, looking to get a few more and a lot more ammo and get out there and practice practice and practice some more.

I've now got ~2k rounds through my 250SC in 9. I don't log them, so not sure, but that's what the rounds inventory says. Significantly less through my compact .45. Flawless - one FTF in the first week I owned it due to grip. Eats all versions of FMJ/TMJ, and no problems with HSTs either. Lighter than the average SIG. I love the trigger - lightest/smoothest DAO you'll find out of the box, and even better after a few hundred rounds - but can understand why others wouldn't.

One thing I dislike is the X-Grip sleeves for putting a C mag in a SC or a F in a C. They slide around and are begging to be a problem. I carry my SC with extended mags as spares, no X-Grip sleeves. It shoots/grips just fine with bare longer mags stuck in it.

Haven't found the mag release button to be a problem - nice thing is that you can try different grip sizes if it feels like you have to reach too far with your thumb.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    I love the P250. I have the 2sum 9mm which is the full size and sub compact along with the 9mm compact. I have about 6k plus rounds through them without a hick up. I had what looked to me some light primer strikes (the rounds all fired) after looking at the fired casing, called Sig and sent it back to them. They replaced the fire control unit and had the gun back to me in 4 days. There are some who don't like the trigger, if you can get back the DAO trigger it is the most accurate gun I have ever shot.

For anyone who understands the advantage and appreciates a DAO pistol, the Sig P250 is absolutely one of the best on the market today. I have a P250C in 9mm and it is a pleasure to shoot. I recommend them highly.

Definitely a bargain of a self-defense gun. My son has a full-size .45acp. The DA trigger is long but very smooth, A long trigger arc prevents a lot of accidents. You must train with your weapon, and this is a very manageable gun. I think you get a lot of gun for the money.

Flame if you want to, but I think Sig just wanted to make something they could use the word "modular" with in the brochure.

I found the DAO trigger a horrible reminder of how bad I suck at shooting revolvers.
    technomonster likes this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    the only sig 250s i have seen come as a set, with the two frames and slide/barrels. in a plastic case. for around 650.

the price is low because it`s not as well made as the other SIGs, the trigger is DAO and the hammer is made of stamped steel. overall fit and finish is not as good as the other SIGs, my guess is that it works fine but it`s just not as nice. if you are looking for a cheaper/lighter option i would suggest the SIG 2022, the newest SIGPRO. it has a polymer frame.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

I carry a 250 compact 9mm. Mine is a Gen 1. Never had a problem with it. It's light, easy to conceal, shoots fantastic. You can't go wrong...
    I don't want to be a hero, but I'm sure not going to be a victim.

Hydrogen and human stupidty are the two most common elements on earth, not necessarily in that order. -- Albert Einstein

I bought one in .40s&w, and then sold it....I'm basically a Glock or Walther person...my EDC is a G26....

Reasons: REAL long trigger, a real heavy chunk of steel on the hip and in the hand....

It came with ONE magazine in a cardboard box....

I've owned a lot of Sigs, and still love my P220, but wouldn't recommend the P250....

For carry purposes, I'd suggest a Shield, XDS, Nano, PPS or G26

JMHO....YMMV

Sponsored Links