New Aquisition - Series 1 Kimber

This is a discussion on New Aquisition - Series 1 Kimber within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today I just picked up a 1997 model Kimber Classic Custom Target. This is my 16th 1911, so I am pretty well entrenched. I am ...

Thread: New Aquisition - Series 1 Kimber

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar

New Aquisition - Series 1 Kimber

Today I just picked up a 1997 model Kimber Classic Custom Target. This is my 16th 1911, so I am pretty well entrenched. I am looking to do a little customizing on this one. The slide shows some holster wear, but it is as tight as a tick, I have only put one box throught it so far, but every round hit POA, and of course it was easy to control. The trigger has a little creep in it that I may be able to adjust out. I have read that this is one of the most accurate 1911s that Kimber ever made, I'll make that judgement after running several different weights and style of bullets through it.

Some of the mods I'm lookin at making are, low profile, maybe even night sights, ambi safety, rounded MSH, magwell, and refinishing the slide (don't really care that much for the redish brown finish that is on there now).

Any suggestions on sights to fit the funky Kimber rear dovetail/cutout would be appreciated, as well as type of finish on the slide. I'm thinking of either black or OD. I'd be leaving the frame alone with the exception of cleaning it up a bit.

"You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

2. Remove Ads

1943 - 2009
    Series 1 Kimbers are very desireable, IMO. You done good. A local pawn shop had a mint condition Series 1 Compact Stainless selling for $750.00, I looked at it several times, then when I finally made up my mind to buy it, it was gone. Oh, well.

If you want to stay with an adjustable rear sight, a Bomar should fit the existing Kimber dovetail.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Outstanding Find!
    The older Kimbers are VERY nice guns! I'm sure we're all looking for a complete range report on your keeper! The Oregon guns were known to be hand made.. . BETTER than the Kimber Custom Shop guns they make today.. Major drool factor going on here.....
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Nice find.
    I've liked the Kimbers since I rented one about 4 years ago. Even though it was a range gun, and fairly abused, it was one of the nicest shooters I had ever tried at the time.

So, I bought a nib CDPII, and have been happy with it.

My only complaint about Kimbers is the price... but, admittedly that's a silly/unfair complaint on my part.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Very nice piece, keep us posted....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Thanks all. I traded my Grade 1 CPO P229 for it. Just too good a deal to pass up. The other guy is happy too. A win-win is always good. I'm gonna keep it as a shooter, but I wanna make it a really nice looking shooter too.

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    Outstanding Find!
    The older Kimbers are VERY nice guns! I'm sure we're all looking for a complete range report on your keeper! The Oregon guns were known to be hand made.. . BETTER than the Kimber Custom Shop guns they make today.. Major drool factor going on here.....
    This is a Yonkers, NY model, but still really nice.

All my 1911's are keepers.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

That is a nice one. Great find!

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I keep wondering what it would look like with a Bobtail. I have a bobtailed Dan Wesson commander. I really like the fit, but I've never seen a bobtailed Gov't model.

now i don't feel so bad!!!! once (1980's) i all so went into this "i got to have every 1911 make". come to think of it, in the 1990's i went into the "i got to have every glock made". ok, so you asked yourself what is the problem??? to me no problem. looks like you got another great gun. have fun with it, shoot it up. make the changes, love the gun, make it your gun.

Quote Originally Posted by p8riot View Post
    Thanks all. I traded my Grade 1 CPO P229 for it. Just too good a deal to pass up. The other guy is happy too. A win-win is always good. I'm gonna keep it as a shooter, but I wanna make it a really nice looking shooter too.

This is a Yonkers, NY model, but still really nice.

All my 1911's are keepers.
    LOL.........I thought it was a Oregon gun................. either way GREAT FIND!! We have several just like yours, up at the store. They're really good lokin and great shooters..
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Nice p8triot, I told you that you would get rid of it pretty quickly :)

P8riot, if I'm not mistaken I believe thet your rear site is a Bomar, and if it is there aren't to many sight's that fit a Bomar cut. IMHO Bomar makes a nice sight and if you intend to carry the Kimber just round off all edges some what like Bomars combat sight.
    Best,
    Rhome
    Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. ~ Robin Williams ~
    www.desbiensgunleather.com

Links