Home defense/concealed carry pistol ideas $500 range? - Page 2

Home defense/concealed carry pistol ideas $500 range?

This is a discussion on Home defense/concealed carry pistol ideas $500 range? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Glock 19...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Home defense/concealed carry pistol ideas $500 range?

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    Glock 19
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Ruger LCR.

Read these reviews. Bought one for my wife. Love it.

Ruger LCR

Firearm Fun: REVIEW: Ruger LCR
    Kimber Solo 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm
    Kel Tec PF9 9mm, Ruger LCR .38
    Maverick 88 Tactical 12 ga shotgun at bedside
    Lifetime NRA member

Sd40ve because its cheap, 14+1anand with the extra you can buy ammo.

Dont forget to at least go pick up a RIA 1911. They have full size and compact in 9 mm and .45ACP. They are all steal, so a little heavy. They are $500 and under. Made in Philipines. I know people that trust their life to these 1911s. I have a full size 1911 Tactical. Paid $539 in California.

Look no further then the Glock 26. Perfect for CCW. Then when your ready for bed stuff a G19 or G17 mag in it and put it on the night stand. Best of both worlds. It handles almost identically to it's bigger brother the G19 but remains easily concealable for CCW duty. If I could only have one pistol to cover all my bases the G26 would be it.

Edit - Oh, and probably the most important thing and I left it out... I haven't been able to break it with almost 5k rounds downrange. Not a single hiccup. Given my past history with handguns the fact that it made it past 1000 without blowing up is saying quite a bit. The G26 is officially "Rollo tested and Approved" (Patent pending so don't get any big ideas).
    Brad426 and MamaMaria like this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by dave8274 View Post
    I think I paid a bit over $500 for mine.
    Ok. Thanks.

I am going to say something very different, there are many good options already, but I would say get something basic for now, maybe a used S&W Sigma 9mm, they are simple, fairly reliable and cheap. Use it to learn what features he wants on a regular carry gun, then either keep it or sell it once he has formed his own opinions.

Senior Member Array StripesDude's Avatar
    I have a sig sp2022 in 40 cal, but they make 9mm too. Around $450 now ($400 before the panic).

Best trigger on any of my guns. Absolutely love it.

All awesome suggestions, we're headed to the range next weekend to try these out...S&W M&P 9c, M&P 40c, Glock 19 Glock 26, Ruger SR9c, Springfield XD Subcompact 9mm, Sig SP2022. I'll let you know what he goes with.

I believe that either the Glock-19 or the Glock-26 would serve you very well.
    rugerista likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I agree with most of these guys...I love my Glock 19 and the 26 is great too. I really like the springfield xdm or xd in compact...have two magazine options of 13 and 19 rounds all for the same gun. For a CCW I love my Kahr K9 or a P9.

Home defense/concealed carry pistol ideas $500 range?

If he seriously wants to carry concealed, I would recommend a Walther PPS. If he goes any thicker than that, he won't be comfortable and will end up having to buy a second handgun later when he realizes how important a thin gun is for concealed carry on a regular basis. I recently purchased a beretta nano (really small gun) as a backup to wear around my ankle bc my primary (walther PPQ) is far too big for CC.

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    I don't know your brother or his wife but I would suggest that he make sure his wife has the hand strength to rack the slide and run the gun before he decides on an auto. Most women can do it and there is a certain technique that can be taught, but there are some ladies that just can't do it. If that is the case, a small, all steel revolver is probably the way to go. An SP101 or a S&W model 60 with a three inch barrel would work well for CC and be suitable for limited home defense as well.

Finding one gun to do it all is a tough one, but sometimes us gun guys get way to caught up in things like capacity, sight radius, etc. etc.

Of course some ladies can stand shoulder to shoulder with the men when it comes to handling firearms.

WildFilmHistory - Spearing 'a roaring comet of wrath'

Jim

Glock 19

I paid $450. for my CM9 which I love for CC for sure. I guess it would be ok for home defense also although I would love to talk my wife into a Mossburg 500 12 gauge.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links