Street Robberies and You.....The basics.

This is a discussion on Street Robberies and You.....The basics. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If it's a good defensive shoot, why would the gestapo keep your gun for 2 years? Man, that would really suck. I carry what I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Street Robberies and You.....The basics.

Distinguished Member
    If it's a good defensive shoot, why would the gestapo keep your gun for 2 years? Man, that would really suck. I carry what I have, "no safe queens". The possibility of this really happening scares me. The thought of not having a reliable gun on me scares me even more.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

2. Remove Ads

This, for me, is a good reason for owning two of your carry gun, if possible...
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

I consider my EDC (XD40SC) a "work" gun. It's reliable and durable, but not necessarily "pretty", and I think it was pretty reasonably priced. If it gets some scuffs or dings I'm not going to worry about it (that's a big step for me since I'm borderline OCD). If I use it and it goes to lockup for a while, I'm not out $1,000+ (although replacement cost could go to that depending on what happens over the next year).

I'll save the expensive guns for range queens or BBQ duty.

I'm young, still very dumb, but if a cop declares the shooting a 'good shoot' or a self defense shooting, or if you go before a judge and he declares it a good shooting, what exactly is stopping you from getting your gun back then and there? What else is there to do besides ballistic testing?

All of my handguns are shooters. I carry some more than others, but I have carried just about all of the ones that are practical to carry, even the higher end ones. I have never carried my Python but only because it isn't practical to carry a six inch revolver, at least to me. If I ever have to use one of my carry guns in a defensive situation, I feel that at least I have gotten my money's worth out of it, whether I get it back or not. I consider a quality carry gun as an investment in my personal safety, and that of my family.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryBadger417 View Post
    I'm young, still very dumb, but if a cop declares the shooting a 'good shoot' or a self defense shooting, or if you go before a judge and he declares it a good shooting, what exactly is stopping you from getting your gun back then and there? What else is there to do besides ballistic testing?
    LEOs seldom get to make the final determination. Sometimes, the "good shoot" determination isn't made until the case goes to trial, months or longer. Until then, the un-cleaned, un-lubricated firearm sits in a plastic bag in an evidence locker.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    I carry guns I like and trust. Most of them are customs and, yes, they come at a higher than average price. So what? If I live through a gunfight and my piece goes into evidence for an indeterminate amount of time, so be it, I've gotten my money's worth out of it.
    Yep Yep.

Ok, I see it I am a mother.. I make my 7 yr old ride in a Recaro booser seat and my 5 yr old is still in 5pt car seat, could I have bought cheap $40 from Stuffmart heck yea I could but are they as safe for my kids as the Recaro's no, they are not. I don't mind dropping money on things that will keep my kids safe! That holds very true in the firearms Dh and I buy. If I am in a crash I will go out and drop the same money on new seats and not think about it and have them inspected by a carseat tech, the same goes for my EDC.

Its a no brainer to this mother.

The idea of being robbed at gun point in a mall parking lot scares me to no end, I have been in 2 different malls to have shootings going on and I know loading 3 kids in my car slows me down and makes me a soft target.
    WC145 likes this.

Re: Street Robberies and You.....The basics.

My loved ones have no price tag, I would be bummed....might have to pay more now, but can always get another gun(I hope)

from my phone

VIP Member
    I consider any gun I carry a piece of history, if I have to use it. If I get it back fine, if I never see it again, I won't be happy, but it did what it was intended to do. At least I'll still be around to miss it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Calculate the other costs of a defensive shooting

If you are involved in a defensive shooting, the cost of the gun you use will be a minor factor in your expenses. Your other costs could include:

1. Legal fees - probably in the thousands.
    2. Lost time at work for court appearances - probably in the thousands.
    3. Medical costs for you if the attacker injured you.
    4. Repairs to your home - bullet holes, blood stains.
    5. Possible damage to your reputation due to adverse media coverage.
    6. Mental stress from killing someone, even if justified.

Think of George Zimmerman in Florida and then ask yourself if losing a $500 Glock or a $1,000 1911 would really matter.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WarMachine View Post
    For me I want something dependable so I can protect myself, wife, and child. That being said I'm aware that IF I have to use my gun I won't get it back BUT I rather lose a gun than to lose my life or the life of my wife and/or daughter.

I can buy another gun but I only have one life.

^Bingo^^^^^^^^^^

The same could be said for driving a larger more expensive car(Luxury sedan, SUV Suburban Expedition Pick up).

If you are involved in a horrific wreck, that vehicle will most likely provide more substantial protection against death than a smaller vehicle.
    Its a risk factor decision everyone must make, which would be dependant on how much discretionary income one has to designate toward the specific item which will be utilized( firearm, automobile, home, ) etc.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I have a Springfield xD. I'm certain that if I ever had to use it to defend either or both of us, my wife would have no trouble with whatever I might buy to replace it. She's a very sensible woman. Though she is quite fond of her LCP!

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post
    If it's a good defensive shoot, why would the gestapo keep your gun for 2 years? Man, that would really suck. I carry what I have, "no safe queens". The possibility of this really happening scares me. The thought of not having a reliable gun on me scares me even more.
    Here in CA [I know that's not like every where else in the world] a gun used in a killing, its finger printed, ballisticly tested, and tossed in a bin till a judge rules on your case. that may be 2 to 5 years. Then you may apply to have your fire arm returned. That will require a judge to release it. That may be another 2 months to 2 years.
    Now lets say that the BG didn't die but was sent to prison. The BG killed someone else, and you used your gun to defend them. Your gun will remain in evidence, until ten years after the BGs death or ten years after the case is closed which ever comes first. Realistically if the BG gets life in prison Ill never see that gun again. Even if he got 20 years its very unlikely Ill live long enough to get that gun back. DR.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    The lesson here is to have TWO carry pieces right now. So that you can re-arm immediately after a defensive shooting. This could be a secondary use for your backup weapon, if you carry one. An identical gun would make sense so you could use your currently existing magazines and holsters.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links