Street Robberies and You.....The basics.

This is a discussion on Street Robberies and You.....The basics. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Seems some of us here have invested some serious money into CCW's.... but are these really just throw away guns ? According to a great ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Street Robberies and You.....The basics.

Seems some of us here have invested some serious money into CCW's.... but are these really just throw away guns ?

According to a great article "Street Robberies And You.....The Basics", should one ever have to use a firearm to defend ones self expect to never see your gun again....so is something that works and is less expensive really better than that done up handgun you've spent big bucks on...?

Expect to never get your gun back. You may get it back one day but maybe not. Do not buy expensive guns for the street. Buy yourself a nice sporting gun if you want a nice gun. Keep your street guns basic. The factory Model 10 Smith and the GI 45 have done a lot of work over the years and aren't fancy.
    blanco64 likes this.

For me I want something dependable so I can protect myself, wife, and child. That being said I'm aware that IF I have to use my gun I won't get it back BUT I rather lose a gun than to lose my life or the life of my wife and/or daughter.

I can buy another gun but I only have one life.

Unless you are a cat...
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I carry guns I like and trust. Most of them are customs and, yes, they come at a higher than average price. So what? If I live through a gunfight and my piece goes into evidence for an indeterminate amount of time, so be it, I've gotten my money's worth out of it.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

I'm NOT in Chicago, so I'm not worried about being charged with "obstruction of a bad guy just doing his thing". That's a serious charge in that town.
    Neither am I worried about losing my gun for a legal defensive shoot. I might not see the gun for a while, but that's why I have many others.
    I have always chosen to carry the very best I have...I want to know it's going to work correctly if I need it.
    Honk, archer51, bundy845 and 3 others like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

A buddy of mine shot a guy robbing his garage (justified shoot - long story).

The police had his SIG locked up for two years. When he finally got it back, it had a crude evidence number engraved into the slide. Boy was he mad!
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

I think the "investigation" time that required your gun to be held up would vary by locality. My sheriff and local PD are conservative and give out CCW to all law abiding citizens. Now if I had to use my gun in San Francisco then I would expect to NEVER see it again.

I bought two M&P compacts "just in case" I have the both tricked out with several hundreds of dollar$ in upgrades. In the end I'd rather loose a $2000 gun than my life.
    The Old Anglo likes this.

VIP Member
    Whether I ever get it back or not, I want to have my first-stringer on the field if it ever comes down.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Like most of us I have spent some real money on my guns. But, I have yet to spend more than I am willing to lose in exchange for my life. If I can't trust it I'll just need to spend more money and buy one I do trust. If I need it, not getting it back won't be at the top of my priority list.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    A buddy of mine shot a guy robbing his garage (justified shoot - long story).

The police had his SIG locked up for two years. When he finally got it back, it had a crude evidence number engraved into the slide. Boy was he mad!
    Doing that to a Sig should be a felony.
    mano3, zacii and nontechguy like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Re: Street Robberies and You.....The basics.

Really, if one was ever involved in a shooting, your carry piece would be the least of your worries.

Look at it this way: if it all goes down in your favor and it was justified, then go out and buy a new pistol to celebrate your new lease on life.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Can you really place a price on your life?
    mano3 likes this.

The least expensive, reliable guns are still going to cost over $300. I dont have any problem being absolutely sure for another $200-250, plus have a gun I enjoy shooting as well

Just counter sue the perps estate for the cost of a new pistol. BGs families seem to be able to sue for loss of income or whatever messed up reason they come up with... never heard of anyone legally protecting themeselves counter suing for anything. Of course if your not sued dont bother them.
    Last edited by uberrogue; January 12th, 2013 at 08:45 PM. Reason: fat fingers

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    I`m of the mind "Here`s my gun,I`m Alive and he isn`t". I can always get another gun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links