taurus 709 slim

This is a discussion on taurus 709 slim within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just picked up a slim 9 today and was wondering how many yards to sight it in at. Im going to be using it as ...

Thread: taurus 709 slim

taurus 709 slim

Just picked up a slim 9 today and was wondering how many yards to sight it in at. Im going to be using it as my promary concealed carry weapon. Any comits would be appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Taurus is hit and miss.
    My pt709 had some FTE I traded it in for a Nano which so far runs well

I have one that had 4 FTE in the first 100 rounds. Dunno if it was the ammo (it was Federal 115 gr FMJ) or if I hadn't cleaned it well enough (Taurus is notorious for slathering the packing grease on), but I have put another 800 rounds through it since then without any malfunctions (including another 200 rounds of the Federal 115 gr).

But to your question... I zeroed mine in at 7 yards. I have found it to be a surprisingly accurate little gun.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Most fte on newer smaller guns are because of the shooter. Cant limp wrist it.

My wife and I am my father have the slim. I sighted them all in at 7 yards, all low left. Mine took a full adjustment up and right as far as sights would go. The other two weren't as bad but still quite a few turns on the sights. I really like the 709. Mine had no issues with the rounds, my wife's had several fte so I guess it is hit and miss. Hers is gone now with a few hundred through it.

I do all my CCW range practice at 7 yards. My opinion is that once you get much further away than that you cannot claim self defense. My 709 has many hundreds of rounds through it and is one of my primary carry guns.
    Slow scopes, fast cars.
    'Chance favors the prepared mind' - Louis Pasteur

Most street type shootings occur at between point blank and six feet, and generally within reaching distance of the BG.

I know people want to put some distance between themselves and the target to make it challenging, but real life shooting scenarios dispute any distance past about 3 yards in almost ever shooting.

I would pour my efforts into practicing quick point and shoot techniques in very close quarters, with some 7 yard shooting just to ensure that you have a good basics of grip, target picture and trigger squeeze.

In your house, look at the longest hallway you have and that is about the farthest you would engage there. On the streets, if you would you be engaging a person at beyond 21 feet with a snubby, it is probably as covering fire, or just trying to drive off the BG or get yourself outta there, because under the stress of a shooting situation, without extreme training, you are most likely not hitting anything anyway.

But that is just my opinion.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

I had one. The extractor broke after about 500 rounds. I sent it to Taurus on my dime and took them 10 weeks to fix it and get it back to me. I sold it when I got it back. Before it broke/got sold it was a decent little gun. Nice trigger. Accurate.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Links