Gunsmithing On New Guns

This is a discussion on Gunsmithing On New Guns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is there anything in particular that you do or have done to your carry guns when you buy them? Reliability packages, dehorning and such? I ...

Thread: Gunsmithing On New Guns

Gunsmithing On New Guns

Is there anything in particular that you do or have done to your carry guns when you buy them? Reliability packages, dehorning and such?

I pretty much just use mine out of the box but it seems some of the guys at the range I run into work theirs over pretty well before actually carrying a new weapon. Just wondering if this is the norm.

2. Remove Ads

remove the sharp edges (dehorning). I do disassemble a new pistol pror to its first range outing, and I do bring a bore snake with me and snake it after every 100 rds. I also use FP-10 (Firepower) as I feel it is the best lube. Not good for rust prevention but I am meticulous about my collection so rust is not a concern.

As you stated, Reliability is key. Some of the custom gunsmiths on thenet have reliability pakcages where they will caress and massage your pistol so that it runs like a swiss watch. in addition, I have only seen these reliability packages for 1911\'s though. Hmmm???

~A

Maybe change Grips but otherwise just clean it and lube it then shoot between 500-1k rounds though it to check function and Mag reliabilty and make sure there were no odd fitting or other problems .

Ive seen reailbty packages for 1911, Rugers more for wheelies than autos .. Smith autos .. Even a place that will do Smith sigmas..

I forgot, for new guns I will note any FTEject, FTFeed, FTFire, FTReturnBattery and the such and try to find out why. Also know that some guns will require a break in period. I also feed an array of ammo to see which works best. lucky for me WWB feeds superbly in all my auto\'s for practice. Winchester Ranger rounds also feed without any hiccups.

~A

That is why i own SIG\'s, they need nothing but a good clean and lube job before they go to the range for break in, and then in the holster they go. Boring but it\'s a nice feeling to know the new side arm will do it\'s job out of the box, if you can.

DC Founder
    I would do only what I had to if I encountered a problem. With Kimber I haven\'t had to do anything. Right out of the box they are more accurate than a Springfield I owned that had almost $2000 worth of work done on it.

Grips normally get changed on 1911s. I prefer rubber grips from Kimber. Other than that, nothing. Not when its new anyway...

I grip the pistol to see if there\'s any sharp edges that will rub my hand/fingers when firing and file any problem areas. Also I de-burr any areas where metal contacts metal such as slide and frame fit. I also check the throat and feeding area for roughness and sharp corners and fix as needed. I cannot remember a gun that I never took apart out of all that I have owned through the years unless I didn\'t keep it long. A few handguns I\'ve owned I wished I never took apart when they became a bear to reassemble and I no longer take them apart for \"fun\". LOL :D

As to the glock 19:
    1) added Heinie sights
    2) replaced the stock 19 target trigger with a smooth trigger
    3) contoured the trigger safety to the same profile as the trigger when engaged
    4) replaced the stock 5.5 connector with a Scherer 3.5
    5) polished all trigger connecting points
    (Results from 4 & 5 was a very clean, for a glock, 4lb. trigger pull when using stock glock springs)
    6) opened up the bottom, rounded portion, of the triggerguard approximately 1/32

My main carry gun right now is a CZ 75B. The only thing I have done to it is put in a new heavier recoil spring.

clipse

My main carry firearm is a Glock 23 the unit works perfectly right out of the box although I do change the trigger weight to 11lbs with the NY spring assembly and a Rocket 3.5 con. I guess I just prefer it that way. Oops forgot the sights I do install new Meprolights in them.

Links