Smith & Wesson SD9ve or Taurus 24/7 G2 9mm? - Page 2

Smith & Wesson SD9ve or Taurus 24/7 G2 9mm?

This is a discussion on Smith & Wesson SD9ve or Taurus 24/7 G2 9mm? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by StripesDude I have the old Sigma version in 9mm. The only thing I don't like is the trigger - must be 10 ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Smith & Wesson SD9ve or Taurus 24/7 G2 9mm?

CJM
    Quote Originally Posted by StripesDude View Post
    I have the old Sigma version in 9mm. The only thing I don't like is the trigger - must be 10 lbs. Other than that, it's been flawless. Not one snafu in 500 rds. If it were a more expensive gun or my edc, I would spring for a trigger job.
    Again, not the same gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    Not going to compare taurus to smith, Smith is a much more refined pistol. And costs a lot more. That said I would have no problem carrying a Taurus for SD. In fact at the moment a every shot reliable pt 945 in on my person. I also use an pt840 that is just as rock solid. If he can afford Smith go for it.
    MSRP is quite a bit higher on the Taurus.
    guitarzNgunz likes this.
    "Thank you for the advice Mr. Vice President, but I'll be keeping my AR15 for defending my home and family."

I had an SD9 last year that was pretty nice. Flawless shooter. Used it when I took my CHL class when I lived in TX. It's since been sold off but if I was going to pick one of the 2 you suggested I would pick the S&W. The Ve is supposed to have a better trigger although the trigger on the SD was nice as it was. But I guess it doesn't have the front night site like the SD unless i'm mistaken. I've never actually shot the Taurus but from all the reviews, you never, well I haven't, heard anything bad as far as reliability with the SD or SDVE.

Quote Originally Posted by CJM View Post
    You do realize that the gun in question is the SD9VE, not the Sigma SW9VE don't you? They are not the same gun.

OP, the SD9VE is my daily carry gun. It's proven it's self to be reliable for defensive use and I consider it to be the perfect sized daily carry gun for me. I wouldn't recommend a Taurus to my worst enemy.
    Yeah that dawned on me later. Was too busy watching football lol. Anyways OP, still agree SD9VE over a taurus.
    guitarzNgunz likes this.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. " - Edmund Burke

Senior Moderator
    I have a Taurus PT-111 that has never let me down and I have no qualms about it. It fit my price point and needs at the time I bought it and it still feels my needs today.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

S&W. Your buddy should save a few more dollars and go for the M&P.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Well the verdict is in...he decided to go with the S&W SD9ve! Thanks for the help I think he will be beyond happy with his Smith!

CJM
    Tell him for $23, the Apex trigger spring kit makes a big difference in the trigger pull. Lowers it to about 5.5 lbs and it feels a lot smoother.
    "Thank you for the advice Mr. Vice President, but I'll be keeping my AR15 for defending my home and family."

Again, not the same gun.

MSRP is quite a bit higher on the Taurus.
    I stand corrected. Apparently a newer model. Seems to be very similar though.

Better Than Glock (S&W SD40VE) - YouTube

A review that people on here should like..

CJM
    Quote Originally Posted by StripesDude View Post
    I stand corrected. Apparently a newer model. Seems to be very similar though.
    The only common parts between the Sigma and SD series is the magazines. Not a newer model of the Sigma, a completely different model all together.
    DCn8ive likes this.

Yes the SD9VE and Sigma SW9ve are different. Have a Sigma SW9ve been carrying for well over a year and have never had a single problem. Have a small range area on our property and have run a little over 1800 rounds. Am well satisfied with performance and accuracy. Only draw back is the trigger, rather stiff pull. Got used to to it and no problems. Also have Sig and Ruger but for whatever reason the Smith feels better. Concealed carry has been no issue either, OWB at about 4 oclock, comfortable with good belt and holster. Think he should be happy.

Why does everyone crap on Taurus? I'm not certain. I own both a Taurus 44Magnum as well as an SD40VE. I love them both. Both companies stand by their products with lifetime warranties. the only one I've had to send back was my SW, but I still love it. It works well, hasn't ever misfed nor misfired and all that good stuff. I love my Taurus also! I have an Army buddy who owns 3 Taurus pistols and he swears by them! He has two 9mm and a .45 and he absolutely loves them. Please, someone let me know the issue with Taurus, and please be specific.

You do realize that the gun in question is the SD9VE, not the Sigma SW9VE don't you? They are not the same gun.

OP, the SD9VE is my daily carry gun. It's proven it's self to be reliable for defensive use and I consider it to be the perfect sized daily carry gun for me. I wouldn't recommend a Taurus to my worst enemy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links