Smith & Wesson SD9ve or Taurus 24/7 G2 9mm?

This is a discussion on Smith & Wesson SD9ve or Taurus 24/7 G2 9mm? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Got a buddy that's unsure which is the better choice for his purchase of his first concealed carry choice. What are the pros and cons ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Smith & Wesson SD9ve or Taurus 24/7 G2 9mm?

Got a buddy that's unsure which is the better choice for his purchase of his first concealed carry choice. What are the pros and cons to each of these particular pistols. Which is better in your opinion?

*edit* oops actually he is thinking of the PT 111 by Taurus in 9mm. So S&W SD9ve vs. Taurus PT111 9mm
    lizard75 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I learned the hard way to stay away from Taurus. Had a s&w sigma 9ve that was flawless, still question weather I should of sold it. I say s&w, my $0.02.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Do you mean the sd9 by s+w?
    The ve is a cheaper version. They had some early production issues
    The design is a near mirrior image of a glock. I have the sd40
    And its a great gun. I would take a s+w over a taurus any day of the week

Quote Originally Posted by Once View Post
    Do you mean the sd9 by s+w?
    The ve is a cheaper version. They had some early production issues
    The design is a near mirrior image of a glock. I have the sd40
    And its a great gun. I would take a s+w over a taurus any day of the week
    No he's looking at the ve version, he's on a tight budget. I agree I would also take the S&W over the Taurus any day.

I have looked at the Taurus models and didn't like the way they felt. IMHO they were cheap and loose. I decided to get the SD40VE since a close friend is LEO and recommended the 40cal over the 45cal. So far my SD40VE has performed flawless and even the wife shoots it with accuracy.
    guitarzNgunz likes this.
    "The key to freedom is the ability to defend yourself"

Get the Smith....
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Of the two, I would opt for the S&W. However, he may find it slightly large for concealed carry. On the other hand there are plenty of people who conceal full-sized guns every day; its all personal.

VIP Member
    Smith.

Oh yeah, try to post more than one word,,,,

Smith all the way.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Senior Member Array StripesDude's Avatar
    I have the old Sigma version in 9mm. The only thing I don't like is the trigger - must be 10 lbs. Other than that, it's been flawless. Not one snafu in 500 rds. If it were a more expensive gun or my edc, I would spring for a trigger job.

Re: Smith & Wesson SD9ve or Taurus 24/7 G2 9mm?

Smith all day. The sigma sw9ve fixed all the issues its predecessor had. I have one and it feeds all day lonv with no problems. I also EDC it with no problems of concealing. Well worth the money imo
    guitarzNgunz likes this.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. " - Edmund Burke

There are better options out there for dedicated carry guns. I would tell him to go with something like an M&P Shield, Walther PPS, or Ruger LC9. It sounds like he only wants to buy one gun, and I will bet that he will want a more concealable gun after trying to hide an SD9. Smaller guns aren't as cool, but they'll fit his needs better
    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    Of the two, I would opt for the S&W. However, he may find it slightly large for concealed carry. On the other hand there are plenty of people who conceal full-sized guns every day; its all personal.
    I agree about the votes for the S&W it's just a matter of giving an argument to him of why it's better, he does care about my input as he knows I'm more knowledgeable about weapons than he. But man he is really set on the Taurus brand for some strange reason! Lol

He plans on carrying OWB and he's a big guy about 6'6" 300+ lbs so I think a larger frame pistol shouldn't be an issue to conceal, not to mention the guy LOVES him a good Hawaiian shirt!

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    S&W

But I would say, take a little time to save up a little more money and purchase something else.

Not going to compare taurus to smith, Smith is a much more refined pistol. And costs a lot more. That said I would have no problem carrying a Taurus for SD. In fact at the moment a every shot reliable pt 945 in on my person. I also use an pt840 that is just as rock solid. If he can afford Smith go for it.

CJM
    Quote Originally Posted by patinthehat View Post
    Smith all day. The sigma sw9ve fixed all the issues its predecessor had. I have one and it feeds all day lonv with no problems. I also EDC it with no problems of concealing. Well worth the money imo
    You do realize that the gun in question is the SD9VE, not the Sigma SW9VE don't you? They are not the same gun.

OP, the SD9VE is my daily carry gun. It's proven it's self to be reliable for defensive use and I consider it to be the perfect sized daily carry gun for me. I wouldn't recommend a Taurus to my worst enemy.
    guitarzNgunz likes this.
    "Thank you for the advice Mr. Vice President, but I'll be keeping my AR15 for defending my home and family."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links