Colt Defender vs. S&W M&P 40c

This is a discussion on Colt Defender vs. S&W M&P 40c within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, I came a cross this forum while researching a new carry pistol and am glad to be a new member. I'm at a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Colt Defender vs. S&W M&P 40c

Hello all, I came a cross this forum while researching a new carry pistol and am glad to be a new member.

I'm at a quandary and am interested in all of your experience.

I have a Colt defender .45 cal and I like nearly everything about it. However, it does have one fairly significant issue; it has a tendency for failure to battery. Today I shot approx. 150 rounds of junk wolf hardball ammo with 5 or 6 FTB and almost always FTB'd when hitting the mag release after inserting a new mag. I wanted to see how it would perform with premium defense ammo so I put 20 rounds of Hornady Zmax 185 gr. through it. 2 of the 3 rounds (7 shot rounds) had FTB; one round had 3 of 7 FTB (42%). Needless to say this is not good for a carry pistol.
    Considering the systemic issue of this type with the sub-compact 1911's, I went to my local dealer and the M&P 40c got my attention. The compelling part is they will trade me even up, a brand new M&P for my Colt Defender. My quandary comes with the feel, trigger and looks on the Defender...I really like all 3 but the reliability is marginal. The reviews on the M&P are quite favorable, sounds like they'll eat anything.
    As I type this the answer is becoming apparent but the trigger is the big thing delaying my commitment.
    Interested in your feedback and suggestions on 1911 reliability and the M&P.
    Thanks!

M&P 40C is a GREAT EDC, I have two. If you don't know for $70 you can put a stock S&W 9mm barrel and shoot both calibers out of it. Also Apex tactical has drop in kits or there are reputable gunsmiths you can ship the M&P to that would make the trigger more comparable to your Colt.

To answere your question. If there is ANY way possible I would keep the colt and buy the M&P.

Suggestion - new Defender recoil spring

I have a Colt Defender and the recoil spring will lose force over time. Have you tried replacing your existing recoil spring with a new one having equal or greater spring constant? This may be why the gun won't go into battery completely.
    archer51, oneshot and ksblazer like this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    If this is your actual carry pistol, carry something else that actually works.

I own 4 M&P pistols and I will definitely purchase more in the future. All of them work like a top. No problems.

The compacts are good pistols and make great carry pieces.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    M&P40 c brother has one ,boss has one... my other friends and family have other forms/calibers of M&P's that we all carry and love.. you can't go wrong... I have over 4000 rounds through mine.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Carry pistols..... HAVE ....... To be reliable......... Not purty
    WINTEJER000 likes this.
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

VIP Member
    Follow pogo2 recommendation. Replace the recoil spring and see if it resolves the problem. If it does, your good to go, if it doesn't, then consider dumping it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

It is hard to beat the reliability of the M&P line (or the Glocks). I had an M&P9c that did eat anything I ever put through it. Including some real crappy ammo. The defender is a pretty gun, and may just need "tuning" to bring it back to 100% reliability. But it will require a lot more maintenance and "tuning" over time than the M&P. The M&P can be neglected for thousands of rounds and continue to just work anyways. The defender won't.
    oneshot and stevez like this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

My daughter's .380 was having a lot of failure returning to battery, on close inspection of the mag
    I found several burrs on the ears. Polished them off and no more problems. This was on a relatively
    new pistol and HP's might have been the culprit originally but I can't say for sure. My old Bersa
    digested every one.

So FWIW, take a hard look at your mags.
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

Orderd Springs

Thanks all for the feedback and comments. I've ordered new recoils springs, we'll see how that works. I agree...a defense gun must be reliable, so if the new springs don't get I'll likely be a proud new owner of an M&P.

Thanks again!
    Spec likes this.

VIP Member

I'd replace the recoil springs to see if the problem solves itself. If not I'd also have the feed ramp polished before I'd replace the gun. Remember the Defender is worth twice as much as an M&P, so any gun shop would jump on that trade.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMan View Post
    Thanks all for the feedback and comments. I've ordered new recoils springs, we'll see how that works. I agree...a defense gun must be reliable, so if the new springs don't get I'll likely be a proud new owner of an M&P.

Thanks again!
    ^^^^^^^^^^^

I am poster # 5's uncle, and he is correct, we have 8-9 F N Family that own one variant(compact or FS and one caliber) or another) , .40 & .357 sig and they just work.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Im not a fan of the 1911. There just not my cup o tea. Great guns though. I do have the m&p9c as my edc and love it.

Smaller 1911's (smaller than commander size) have a tendency to be more picky than their larger cousins.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Well... you have all convinced me, I"ll put the effort into making Defender fully reliable and look to add the M & P to the line up. Based on what I've learned here and other forum's I don't think it will be too hard to do.

Thanks again for all of the input!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links