Small single stack, striker 9mm with easiest to rack slide & lightest trigger?

This is a discussion on Small single stack, striker 9mm with easiest to rack slide & lightest trigger? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Suggestions? My wife has early onset arthritis and racking the slide on my Sig P225, M&P Shield and Glock 23 are are difficult for her. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Small single stack, striker 9mm with easiest to rack slide & lightest trigger?

Small single stack, striker 9mm with easiest to rack slide & lightest trigger?

Suggestions? My wife has early onset arthritis and racking the slide on my Sig P225, M&P Shield and Glock 23 are are difficult for her. Add in she lost about 1/4" of the tip of her trigger finger a few years back and has somewhat limited feeling in it. She can't pull the trigger on my Sig in DA ( SA is fine and she actually shoots it really well), can pull the Shield trigger easily and my Glock 23 is just too big for her small hands to even worry about another Glock.

Been considering a Nano but have only handled one once and I don't recall of the slide was any easier to rack than my Shield.

Anyone have any ideas for her? I guess I'd even consider a revolver even though I'm not a wheel gun guy.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    I know this will get shot down by many...but racking the slide on the Walther PPS is pretty easy compared to others I have handled, and I think the trigger is phenomenal.

Have her rent one out at the rage. Hey, you're not gonna know until she has shot one, no matter which one you look at.

EDIT: Also, racking the slide should get somewhat easier as the gun is broken in over time. From my experience anyway.

Good luck!
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

I haven't handled one yet, but I've read the Bersa BP9CC is reasonably light.

Hi Bill,
    got a Sig P 938 , seems the slide is very easy to operate, and the trigger is in the 7 - 8 lb . ( estimated ) range ,,,

I'm not sure how she racks the slide, but I push the gun forward while holding the slide, rather than pulling the slide back - if that makes any sense.

I'm sorry I don't have any gun suggestions, I haven't tried out enough, but I'm sure others will give some great suggestions. Good luck in your search!

I found this older thread, I don't know if any of the suggestions would be helpful. Easy slide racking
    Rock and Glock, Remy and aus71383 like this.

This is a total new direction.........My wife had the same problem generally. She now loves her Ruger LCR. Available in 357 and 38. She has larger hands, but you might consider a revolver........there are a lot of options.
    jbum, BamaT and sebring like this.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    This is a total new direction.........My wife had the same problem generally. She now loves her Ruger LCR. Available in 357 and 38. She has larger hands, but you might consider a revolver........there are a lot of options.
    I kind've agree with you a lot on this. A revolver with an external hammer can easily solve both problems of not having to rack a slide and also eliminating a heavy trigger pull!

And as Rock said, you have you're choice of two different types of ammo.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

VIP Member
    Also take a look at the Kahr CW9.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Don't consider a Kahr PM9. I bought one thinking it would be a good gun for my wife. The spring is so stiff I need help racking the darn thing
    DandLfam likes this.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    I know this will get shot down by many...but racking the slide on the Walther PPS is pretty easy compared to others I have handled, and I think the trigger is phenomenal.

Have her rent one out at the rage. Hey, you're not gonna know until she has shot one, no matter which one you look at.

EDIT: Also, racking the slide should get somewhat easier as the gun is broken in over time. From my experience anyway.

Good luck!
    +1 for the Walther PPS Excellent gun, excellent trigger, pretty easy to rack.

Also, might want to have her check out the Sig P938
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

AOK
    I understand the issues with arthritis. It can be tough. May I ask what method she uses for racking the slide? In addition, I notice many gun owners who have a hard time racking the slide aren't using both hands properly. They just hold the gun stationary with their gun hand while trying to rack the slide with only strength in their reaction hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    In addition to eliminating slide racking, the LCR handles well, and while I don't know the pull weight on the trigger, every one I handled had a really smooth trigger.
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    shoot the Shield and break that spring in good. It will become less tight. It sounds like it fits her small hands and the trigger is good for her on it... can always take it to a gunsmith and see if they can mod it a little bit.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Para Carry 9 with an LDA trigger.

With a little practice, while sitting around and watching TV, it may become easier for her to rack a slide on any pistol. Have her try different types of techniques and fashions of grasping the slide and handle-grip and pulling back on the slide or pushing forward on the handle-grip. Even some guys have to sit around and practice to find a technique that works best for them too.

A Ruger LCP may be something to have her try. With a Sig 938 if she can't rack it, you could do it for her to chamber a round and all she'd have to do is draw back the hammer and pull the trigger. It has a manual safety so that may not be an issue for her/you to have a round chambered and ready to go.

Or like some suggested. Look into a revolver. Like a Ruger LCR in 357mag which will give her and you both, the choice of using .38's or 357mag. Or maybe one of the Ruger SP101's.

But I'd pass on the nano and any of the Kahr's; though YMMV

I'm sure you'll find something to fill the bill

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links