Sig P290 for AIWB?

Sig P290 for AIWB?

This is a discussion on Sig P290 for AIWB? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well here's the deal....I'm looking for a firearm to carry in the appendix position. This is going to be new to me. But I need ...

Thread: Sig P290 for AIWB?

Sig P290 for AIWB?

Well here's the deal....I'm looking for a firearm to carry in the appendix position. This is going to be new to me.

But I need it to be a useable firearm, and let me get a little detailed in some of my carry gun history to explain that. I had a Ruger LCP which was a breeze to carry, couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it, and I would inadvertently hit the mag release while shooting. It was just a bit too small to be considered "usable" to me.

Flash forward past another few guns, Sig P238. It worked, it worked well. Sights were superb, trigger was just right, I felt it was made solid as in I could trust it and be proficient with it unlike the LCP. I did not like the manual safety. I just never felt if I was going to go to the effort to carry something it might as well be something not in .380 ACP that I had to worry if it would the do the job or not.

I pocket carried these guns as well as a Kahr CM9 that I could never get to trust. It was ok but it just felt cheap, would have a failure every now and then. The size was good but still a little hard to get proficient with.

Had a Smith 642 I really liked, I had no problems giving a 135gr. +P GDHP some trust...I always felt down on capacity with 5 rounds. Trigger was a little tougher than the other Auto's to master but it's cylinder doesn't lend it to appendix carry I suppose. I also wish it had a little more useable sight picture.

I also once had a Walther PPS that was great, it just would take up a little too much real estate in the appendix to position to be comfortable I would assume, it was nice and flat though.

I am now getting sick of trying to pocket carry in every pair of pants I try on, and would like to move to an AIWB setup...

Here's my preferences:

Length: 6"
    Height: 4"
    Width: 1"

(or less).

I like the fact the P290 looks rather well rounded, it doesn't appear to have anything that will jab into my gut. It has nice sights, no safety, a reliable maker with good warranty service if something is wrong. The weight is a little on the heavy side at 20oz. but I believe that will make all the difference in shooting the 9x19. The cost, around $460 new, isn't going to break the bank when I do get in a financial position to buy when I get back to work. My only worry is the trigger.

Here's the specs on it:

Overall Length 5.5 in
    Overall Height 3.9 in
    Overall Width 0.9 (1.1 in with slide catch lever)
    Barrel Length 2.9 in
    Sight Radius 4.3 in
    Weight w/Mag 20.5 oz

If anyone has used one of the new updated RS versions with the re-strike capability and supposedly a few other small improvements would you please chime in? So far the only complaints I can find are from the early version.

Any other pistols recommended would be appreciated as well.

Perfect

I have the RS and it is perfect for aiwb, in my opinion. My criteria was reliable, 9mm, DAO, single stack narrow and must have hammer so I can thumb check during holstering - especially important with aiwb. Yes it is slightly heavy but this is only a minor concern if pocket carrying. Decent holster, decent belt, RS disapears under t-shirt only and is very comfortable to carry. It is very manageable to shoot and very accurate for the size.

I am very happy with it.

Awesome, that seems to make my theory right anyway.

I was figuring I might not see much of a response as it doesn't seem to be that popular (the MSRP is high) and it is heavier than everything else it is competing against.

Thank you and great first post. Welcome to the forum!

How is the trigger on it? I can assume from what I read it's long, not LC9 long, but long none the less. More concerned with the pull weight.

Some people think only small guns can be carried AIWB - I am the opposite. I like the extra length of the barrel because it helps keep the gun steady from rolling on the belt. It makes no difference to me in concealment to have a longer barrel - the grip is what needs concealing - and it is more comfortable (for me) to have a longer barrel.

It looks nice - I wouldn't mind owning one. It would be a BUG for me though - that is tiny!

Austin

Trigger is good. Does it equal my p229, no it does not but it has a good trigger. I prefer the trigger to everything else in it's class that I tried with possible exception to the pm9. I liked the Kahr trigger but the striker fire was a deal breaker for me. The 290 is tiny, making it easy to conceal and wear all day but I still shoot that sucker quite well. With the extended 8 rounder, it fills the hand. The only real disadvantage then is the shorter sight radius.

I do not like carrying the larger 229 as aiwb, too much bulk when sitting or moving around. I keep the 229 at 3:30 or 4:00 in a comp-tac minitaur (sp?), very comfortable.

I had a couple of the Sig 290s for awhile. I sold one and got the Sig P938 to replace it. Outta the two, IMO the 938 is a better option, at least for me anyway.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I think it would make a great AIWB gun and, as a matter of fact I'm looking for one right now for that express purpose.

-Russell
    “A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” --George Washington

Love the 290RS AIWB. It shoots so much better with the 8 round magazine that is what I'm carrying.
    I use a SEVERE FBI cant to lay back the extended grip to hug my belly - no printing.
    Accurate as hell ... you'll fall in love.
    “To see what is right and not do it, is want of courage”. Confucius

Thanks guys, I just hadn't heard much about this gun since it came to market. They seem readily available compared to other firearms at this point.

I think the problem with appendix carry and longer barreled guns is that it would either jab into your upper leg/thigh and or gut when you sit. I liked the 238, I'm sure the 938 is just as nice if not nicer it just looks like it has a lot of protrusions to jab into me.

Sig P290 for AIWB?

I'm happy with mine. Plan to carry it small of the back but not 100%

Sponsored Links