NRA Basic Pistol Class

This is a discussion on NRA Basic Pistol Class within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mditurno I am an instructor as well ... I also repeat the steps of assuming the 'proper' shooting stance over and over ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: NRA Basic Pistol Class

Quote Originally Posted by mditurno View Post
    I am an instructor as well ... I also repeat the steps of assuming the 'proper' shooting stance over and over as well as demonstrate several times in class and at the range. The thing to keep in mind is that there are always people in this class who have never shot before so it is a matter of building a solid foundation for future practice. That said, at the end of the day my number one priority is gaining comfort with the fact that each student can safely handle a handgun with consistency. The key is slow and thoughtful practice.

Congratulations on the class!

Mike
    Thanks Mike. I agree with you. I'm just happy she was willing to participate in the class. I'll work with her on the stance as time passes. Take care.

Bill

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BillK01 View Post
    She was leaning back too much - but I stayed out of it.

I believe he mentioned it later - however - they did "ok" the one leg slightly forward position and it seemed every woman in attendance did that for whatever reason.
    There were actually 7 women (several by themselves) in attendance out of 16 total attendees.

Is there something else you're seeing that is out of whack?

To be honest, I wouldn't worry about her stance. Look at it this way, in a defensive situation is she going to have time to think about stance? The answer is NO. Her concern is going to be getting her gun into play and stopping the threat. If she were competitive shooting, that would be a different matter.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    To be honest, I wouldn't worry about her stance. Look at it this way, in a defensive situation is she going to have time to think about stance? The answer is NO. Her concern is going to be getting her gun into play and stopping the threat. If she were competitive shooting, that would be a different matter.
    Many instructors feel that way. I'm not among them.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

A lot of women have a hard time with any of the typical stances due to their body build. My wife is one of them.

The NRA course is what I took for my CPL... 8am-7pm. The State only requires 8 hours though. THAT was a long day...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dooger View Post
    A lot of women have a hard time with any of the typical stances due to their body build. My wife is one of them.

The NRA course is what I took for my CPL... 8am-7pm. The State only requires 8 hours though. THAT was a long day...
    What is it about women's builds which makes them unable to implement effective, balanced shooting stances?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    What is it about women's builds which makes them unable to implement effective, balanced shooting stances?
    Nothing. They're new and probably afraid of an explosion right at the end of their fingers. That's why this program is so great.

With all respect, you guys need to stop trying to find fault and momentarily set aside that the lady was "leaning back". That's not the point of this thread; the program introduces ladies who've never fired a weapon before to the world of handguns. That's a big and very important step -- something for which she should be commended. (Besides, it was her first time for God's sake. )

While we're at it, why not pick at her grip? It wasn't perfect, either, but who cares? Give her a chance and be glad she's out there learning.

BTW, the NRA Women On Target program that my gun club puts on costs $21.00 per student, includes all ammo, handguns, range time, with each gal assigned her own instructor and classroom time.

I'd like to add that women talk. (But that's common knowledge) They talk a lot to their friends.

When they have a positive experience with firearms, they share that with their girlfriends.

We really need more women shooters to be involved and help preserve our 2nd Amendment Rights. Don't run them off by nitpicking their first performances.
    rutcrazed likes this.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

I took the NRA basic pistol class and I learned a lot as a new pistol user.... I wanted to learn more, so I took the NRA CPL (concealed pistol license - Michigan) class a few weeks later...I am looking for a class for advanced users. I feel you can never learn enough about the responsible use of handguns.......Glad you had a good time in your class!!
    Tom
    Michigan CPL
    Taurus: 709 Slim
    Ruger: LC9
    Stoeger: Cougar 9mm
    Smith & Wesson: M&P .22

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coltman 77 View Post
    Nothing. They're new and probably afraid of an explosion right at the end of their fingers. That's why this program is so great.

With all respect, you guys need to stop trying to find fault and momentarily set aside that the lady was "leaning back". That's not the point of this thread; the program introduces ladies who've never fired a weapon before to the world of handguns. That's a big and very important step -- something for which she should be commended. (Besides, it was her first time for God's sake. )

While we're at it, why not pick at her grip? It wasn't perfect, either, but who cares? Give her a chance and be glad she's out there learning.

BTW, the NRA Women On Target program that my gun club puts on costs $21.00 per student, includes all ammo, handguns, range time, with each gal assigned her own instructor and classroom time.

I'd like to add that women talk. (But that's common knowledge) They talk a lot to their friends.

When they have a positive experience with firearms, they share that with their girlfriends.

We really need more women shooters to be involved and help preserve our 2nd Amendment Rights. Don't run them off by nitpicking their first performances.
    My criticisms were not directed at the students. Indifferent instruction gets mediocre results.
    pittypat21 likes this.

BillK01, what range do you shoot at? The only public range in the Pittsburgh area that I've found is A&S in Youngwood, PA. Since Bullseye on Cambells Run closed, I haven't been able to find anything local.

I belong to two clubs - I avoid public ranges myself. The one with the indoor range is the Beaver Valley Rifle & Pistol Club. Very nice facility and nice people. beaver valley rifle & pistol club

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar

Ive spent years trying to get my wife into a better stance, but she does it to counter ballance the weight of the rifle.
    Here's one of her shooting a much lighter Stevens Favorite.

But as much as it bugs me I let it go, Because if she is happy she will go shooting more often! And the more time she spends with me the happier I am! DR

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by BillK01 View Post
    Took my wife to the NRA Basic Pistol Class yesterday.

Other than making for a long day (8am to about 4pm) - we had a great time and she did really well! I'd highly recommend it - even though I already knew just about everything they covered it was still good to go over a few things. Hate admit it - but she actually shot better than I did! The instructors there told me it's a pretty common occurrence when spouses take the class together for the wive's to outshoot the husbands. :)

Here's a pic of her shooting my Sig P225 (and my Shield on the bench looking on...)

Very Cool!
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Read some combat handgun books, concealed carry books, etc. It's been well documented.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dooger View Post
    Read some combat handgun books, concealed carry books, etc. It's been well documented.
    I don't read Guns and Blammo, so could you be a bit more specific in your citations? I've worked with quite a few women shooters, and never encountered one who could not adapt away from the drinking beer and eating potato chips stance to a balanced one.

Most women attempt the weaver stance and find it uncomfortable. Then they drop their strong side leg/foot back and find it a bit better, but they'll often modify it by going into an exaggerated isosceles stance. I've seen it with almost every new female shooter. In the meantime, they also usually incorporate a lean until corrected.

I believe Ayoob covers this in his combat handgun book. I know I bought another book that stated the same thing...it was a 2011 or 2012 book too. I've also read about it in Combat Handguns magazine more than once.

BTW, I never said the stance couldn't be corrected... My wife had this very issue and we're still fighting it.

This is why we need a Women's Forum....exactly the reason.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links