Trying to narrow down pocket carry options...

This is a discussion on Trying to narrow down pocket carry options... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i dont know the exact model but my side arm (main carry) is a smith and wesson pro series 357 mag 178013-1.jpg...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Trying to narrow down pocket carry options...

i dont know the exact model but my side arm (main carry) is a smith and wesson pro series 357 mag 178013-1.jpg
    eacito likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Trying to narrow down pocket carry options...

My LCP has been my primary EDC for over 3 years. Always fits with and clothing and situation. I love my glock 27, but the LCP is just so handy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    G23 w/GTL21, G27, Ruger LCP, & Taurus 617 SS
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Member
    VT Class of '96

Dismissing the P3AT or the LCP is a mistake for pocket carry. The problem with any gun and pocket carry is weight. Both the P3AT and the LCP are very easy to carry in a pocket holster and disappear.

Neither of them are very much fun to shoot but serve a purpose. I have tried other small guns and these are the lightest and easiest to carry. Both are good guns and a full 4 oz lighter than the Sig P238 and a lot cheaper.

Really the only .380's I can suggest for pocket carry are either (A)Taurus TCP 738 or (B) Sig P238.

The problem with (A) is it may never be reliable. It's a crap shoot if you get one that works 100% of the time of 70% of the time. It does offer light weight and an ultra-light price tag and a very nice long smooth trigger pull.

The problem with (B) it's a little heavy, a little expensive, it has a safety. It offers a great trigger-sights-build quality....rather easy to shoot quickly and accurately.

I like many others had an LCP, and hated it. I would smack the mag release sometimes shooting, it had no sights, and trigger was horrible, and I always seemed to pinch my finger in it and I have medium sized hands at best.

I own two p238s for a reason. One for me and one for my wife. Seriously can not go wrong with the p238 at all. Just don't have clothes with weak pockets that can't deal with the slight weight increase for the p238 over other .380 pocket guns. The size of the p238 is the smallest but the weight is a bit more which makes it a .380 gun that is actually fun to shoot at the range.

Okay, so...here's where Im at so far: p238 for jeans/cords/khakis with belts (just don't forget about that safety!!)...AND an LCP for shorts, mountain biking, etc, but only if I put some hogue or handall overgrips and pinky extension on it.

Or possibly the kahr p380 (if i can find one--looks like cabelas--never bought a gun from them, not great prices--doesn't carry them for some reason) over the p238.

Really I just wanted you all to encourage me to get them both, and, though no one has mentioned it specifically, you kind of have. I'm pretty sure I'm kind of joking here. Kind of. Maybe I have a problem. Anyone else have this gun-acquisition problem?

Anyway, thanks so much for all of the thoughtful responses. Keep 'em coming if you can

No. Nobody here has a gun acquisition problem. We are all VERY good at acquiring guns, rest assured.

Getting them all past the wife, well...........
    Jaybm likes this.

I've had great luck with a DM 9 that my son gave me. We've shot over 600 rounds with no issues.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Many people like the LCR, if you are a fan of pocket carry

The small 38 pulls so much quiker from a pocket
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

...come to Texas, where the law IS on your side if you defend yourself when attacked while anywhere you have a right to be...with NO DUTY TO "escape"...down here, rabbits run, Texans fight...

...that cleared up, a stainless J has always been my favorite pocket gun...hides remarkably well with just a handkerchief or pocket holster...very quick to draw, and I can hit better at longer ranges than I can with a subcompact like PPK or other .380...if you haven't fired one, might be worth trying one...more potent than the .380...

Re: Trying to narrow down pocket carry options...

Quote Originally Posted by mhk View Post
    I was immediately turned off by the LCP when I first saw it. (reminds me of that awful keltec)
    As it should.

LCP = Little Copied Pistol.

I bought my Kel-tec before the Ruger came out. I was skeptical to, but it was the size I wanted so I finally "bit the bullet". I have not regreted it yet. It definantly fill a niche.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    I messed around with a number of "pocket" pistols and finally settled on the Kahr CM9. I just prefer the 9mm to the 380 round for defensive
    situations. The CM40 was a little much for the small frame size and you give up a round because the mag only holds 5)

Reasonable cost (under $400), light (16 oz), very concealable, dependable, and manageable recoil (more so with grip extension) and accuracy . I would prefer an all black, but the two tone is looks fine.

At least give it a try.

Only shortcoming is number of rounds. Six in standard magazine and seven in extended magazine.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

VIP Member
    Yep, I have a gun acquisition problem...I can't acquire the guns I want right now.

Kahr P380...

I pocket a PM9 in the summer, but the P380 would be so much easier. I just hate that a 380 is basically half of what a 9 is.

LCP with Crimson Trace in an Uncle George Wallet holster is what I have carried every day for a year I have not found anything better they are all thicker heavier I like the sig but it would make my pockets sag I also have a jframe and I can not get to hide well in my pocket but I like it ymmv

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links