Trying to narrow down pocket carry options... - Page 3

Trying to narrow down pocket carry options...

This is a discussion on Trying to narrow down pocket carry options... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like the little LCP. It excels at pocket carry and is quite accurate if you give it a chance. I have tried the Kahr ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Trying to narrow down pocket carry options...

LCP is fine

I like the little LCP. It excels at pocket carry and is quite accurate if you give it a chance. I have tried the Kahr PM9 and as much as I like it, it is not a pocket pistol. While it may fit in my pockets it tends to fill them and makes it rather difficult to draw. Feels much like a VHS tape in my front pocket given the grip angles and all . J frames feel much better and tend to look more inconspicuous, and draw so-o-o-o much easier for me with pocket carry just to give things perspective . I keep my LCP clean and well lubed and it seems quite reliable. I find mine easy to carry even in tight jeans, in both front or back pockets. It may not be a .45 but I find it very comforting. With a little practice I think you will find snap shooting this little gun easy enough. It may be a compromise but it is one I can live with.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    LCP with Crimson Trace in an Uncle George Wallet holster is what I have carried every day for a year I have not found anything better they are all thicker heavier I like the sig but it would make my pockets sag I also have a jframe and I can not get to hide well in my pocket but I like it ymmv
    Be careful with that wallet holster. There are a lot of laws out there...

With the Sigs, Kahrs, J frame revolvers etc.. how big are your pockets to hide these things?
    I know they're small guns in the grand scheme but wouldn't fit for me.

I'm not a real polymer fan but, keltec or ruger make pretty perfect pocket guns.
    They're thin, small and don't really footprint.

Sig P938
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

A pocket gun is the fastest draw, because it doesn't signal your intentions. And it will be a 7 foot shot. I look at "What will I always carry", and reliability being paramount. And the 'Cocked and Locked' in my pocket is just a little too scary. I carry a Seecamp 32, or a Sig 232, or a S&W 642. Then I have a 1911 in my glove box.

But it just depends on your clothing. I am in south Fl and it's just cargo shorts. See what fits your clothing style, and what gun is the most dependable out of the box. When you hear that 200 round break in period with $1 a bullet - you need to add that into the price.

Went with the LCP

. . .After much deliberation and gun handling. No, it did not turn me on, but it made more and more sense the longer I spent researching and thinking about it, and then in the gun shop there was just no comparison. I could carry two LCPs vs one of most of the other "pocket" guns I looked at (p238--still love that gun, kahr pm9--never could find a p380, sig 290, nano). I didn't want a laser so I didn't really consider the bodyguard.

Shot it yesterday and it shot very accurately--I was surprised. In the cold 34 degree temps I thought I was in for a world of hurt, but really only a little discomfort on my trigger finger. The trigger on this gun seems to break quicker than the one I had dryfired previously, for some reason. I was really pleasantly surprised by this little gun. And most of the day, I didn't even know it was there. It will be easy--automatic, even--to take along on bike rides, use as a BUG. Still not "turned on" per se, but very satisfied with the purchase. . .and maybe a little proud that I was able to make what I think was a wise decision. That doesn't always seem to happen with me when it comes to gun-buying.

Thanks for all the ideas and advice. This is a great forum

You should look at the Kahr CM9 or CM40. I own the .40 and have been pocket carrying while waiting for a holster. I would choose it over any .380.

Sorry...didn't see you had already decided!
    Last edited by smousefam5; January 19th, 2013 at 06:10 PM.

I see you decided on an LCP. Don't know if the Taurus TCP738 has already been suggested but that was my choice.
    USMC/Army Ret, NRA/TSRA/TxCCA/USCCA/TX CHL; CA .40 Pitbull Revolver, XD40sc, PPQ40, Stoeger Cougar 8040F, Taurus PT745 Pro/PT140 Pro/TCP738FS, EMP9, M&P9c, G4G30 & G4G19 both w/TruGlo TFOs, Bersa BP9cc, KelTec PF9, 12 ga Mossberg 500 JIC Cruiser

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    patt You will figure out over time that tight pants and CC don't work well. Most of use wear ether one size larger or a fuller cut and can CC a cm/pm 9 or revolver , kt pf9 or other like sized handgun just fine in a pocket or in a quality hlster IWB all tucked in a clean with nothing showing. Also back pocket !! Never. Even when a micro 380 is needed front pocket and good pocket holster is quicker and shows up less.

LCP/P3AT is the easiest gun to carry. Invisible in the pocket...

I prefer a S&W 442/642 for bigger pockets or casual dress but when that is not practical a little 380 is the solution.

Consider buying a pocket holster with a thumb push tab. It allows you to draw and re holster inside the pocket. The draw in pocket once you have weapon in your hand outside the holster can be very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    patt You will figure out over time that tight pants and CC don't work well.
    That must be my problem... My pants shrink all the time... ;-)

You wrote: I traded in a P-11 keltec for it bc I just couldn't get over the P-11's long, hard trigger (my big oafish hands could sometimes not get the trigger pulled back far enough to the break, after shooting several rounds) even though I had dealt with it for three years or so.

Unless you're hands are smaller you won't like the LCP. It is accurate and dependable. It has a long trigger pull and is very uncomfortable to shoot.
    Last edited by hartlathers; January 19th, 2013 at 10:07 PM.

I'm a huge fan of my Kahr CM9 and carry it most in the pocket. I prefer 9mm to the 380 and there aren't too many times I can't hide it in a pocket.

However, I do have a LCP and have never had a problem concealing it and do trust it with proper shot placement. There are times where I can only conceal the LCP and I'm glad I have it

Quote Originally Posted by mhk View Post
    . . .After much deliberation and gun handling. No, it did not turn me on, but it made more and more sense the longer I spent researching and thinking about it, and then in the gun shop there was just no comparison. I could carry two LCPs vs one of most of the other "pocket" guns I looked at (p238--still love that gun, kahr pm9--never could find a p380, sig 290, nano). I didn't want a laser so I didn't really consider the bodyguard.

Shot it yesterday and it shot very accurately--I was surprised. In the cold 34 degree temps I thought I was in for a world of hurt, but really only a little discomfort on my trigger finger. The trigger on this gun seems to break quicker than the one I had dryfired previously, for some reason. I was really pleasantly surprised by this little gun. And most of the day, I didn't even know it was there. It will be easy--automatic, even--to take along on bike rides, use as a BUG. Still not "turned on" per se, but very satisfied with the purchase. . .and maybe a little proud that I was able to make what I think was a wise decision. That doesn't always seem to happen with me when it comes to gun-buying.

Thanks for all the ideas and advice. This is a great forum
    If you love the P238 you will really love the P938 which is a 9mm. Also, get the 7 round mag...it changes the whole feel of the grip and in a good way.

Sig P938 bi-tone.jpg
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Its a tough decision. I bought an LCP for all the reasons you listed. It was a fine, inexpensive gun that I easily carried. Just a bit too small for my hand so I sold it and got a Ruger LC9, which is not much bigger. Small, thin, and just feels better in my hand. I do hate the safety since all my other guns do not have one but its mostly a back up anyway so I make do.
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links