Trying to narrow down pocket carry options...

This is a discussion on Trying to narrow down pocket carry options... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...and much to my dismay, the LCP keeps popping back up. A little background: I bought an xdm 3.8 9mm as my primary carry gun, ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Trying to narrow down pocket carry options...

...and much to my dismay, the LCP keeps popping back up.

A little background: I bought an xdm 3.8 9mm as my primary carry gun, as I liked its versatility with the mag extensions. I traded in a P-11 keltec for it bc I just couldn't get over the P-11's long, hard trigger (my big oafish hands could sometimes not get the trigger pulled back far enough to the break, after shooting several rounds) even though I had dealt with it for three years or so. The xdm is a great shooter, but I thought I might want something a little smaller for everyday carry, especially in warmer months. I was looking for a Shield, and in the process of trying to locate one (nowhere to be found!), I came across the Walther PPS, and I couldn't be happier with it. I've handled several Shields since, and I think I simply lucked out with the PPS. I carry it IWB (same as xdm).

So, obviously I now have a compact double stack and subcompact single stack for CCW. I probably don't need anything more. But, I have in my possession a $200 Cabela's gift certificate. Sure, I could buy some cold weather gear or some boots or something, but I have a confession to make: I really like guns (I figured this would be a good place to make my confession). So I'm trying to fill a void in my collection: a true pocket gun. Sometimes I go out without a gun; a pocket gun would significantly reduce the probability of this happening

I've settled on .380, after much deliberation on caliber. While there are plenty of small 9 mms and .40s and .45s out there, theyre not as small as the .380s. I really like the Sig p238. It is awesome to look at and handle, and I would be excited to take it to the range. It seems sexy; it turns me on thinking about owning one. The more I think about it, however, it seems impractical: one, it has a safety. Will I remember to switch it off? None of my other handguns operate like that. Not that I couldn't learn. Two--I don't mind the idea of carrying cocked and locked (condition one) on my hip; cocked and locked in a pocket holster seems a little...iffy? Maybe it's just in my head. Lots of jiggling and movement in the pocket area (yes I set myself up there), no?

Also considering a Kahr p380, but I've never handled one.

I was immediately turned off by the LCP when I first saw it. Plastic-y looking and feeling, (reminds me of that awful keltec) long trigger pull (p-11 again), kind of a mushy break right at the frame which is a challenge for my large hands. But the other day owners of two different gun shops were carrying them in their own pockets when pocket guns were brought up. One of them was 3 years into a homegrown reliability test and had never cleaned it (it was absolutely filthy!), and has yet to experience any issues. And he fires it almost daily, as they have an in-house range. The LCP is very light, very utile. I would probably throw it in my pocket sometimes like I do my folding knife. Pure utility. No sexiness at all. I don't like the fact that it doesn't have last-round slide lock back and I don't think it is recommended for hotter .380 loads, which could be a deal breaker.

I've also considered the Bodyguard, but don't really like the laser, especially one that you have to turn on. Semms to fit my hand better than the lcp, though. also looked at revolvers, but theyre not quite as small or light. As much as I hate to admit it, the LCP seems to make the most sense: light, no safety, high carry probability. Do I need to convince myself that the LCP is the pocket carry gun for me?

If you made it this far, apologies for the wordiness, but thanks in advance for your time and consideration

2. Remove Ads

Try to get your hands on a Kahr P380. You'll like it.
    “Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

ive got a sig 938 and its a sweet little gun but its kinda (rough on the hands ) to shoot. im used to full size, I trust the gun but the 2 issues I have are, 1. my finger will push the slide release and almost caused a bad incident when firing the gun. 2. i dont trust accucary past 60-75' range

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I would like to hav a kahr p380 but for the money!! I just can't do it. I can pocket a cm9 kahr and have a cw9 for when iwb works best and it looks like I have one of our taurus tcp380's back for when thinner or tighter slacks are needed. It is a great little pistol with lots of features some of the micro 380's don't have including a trigger pull most any other semi-auto would love to have. Also around 6 different models with lgs prices from 185 to 269 dollars.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Have you looked at or handled a Barretta Nano. Mine's a keeper!

SIG 238. I just picked up the Scorpion model. A sweet deal.

Quote Originally Posted by bluewave View Post
    i dont trust accucary past 60-75' range
    That's well beyond legal self-defense range.
    sebring likes this.
    “Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    I would like to hav a kahr p380 but for the money!! I just can't do it. ... I have one of our taurus tcp380's ... lgs prices from 185 to 269 dollars.
    The street price for the Kahr P380 is only a couple hundred dollars more. I'm worth it.

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Topsider View Post
    That's well beyond legal self-defense range.
    If someone is shooting at you from 100 feet away and you don't have any cover it is perfectly reasonable to shoot back. There is no such thing as legal self-defense range if you can articulate reasonable fear of death or great bodily harm.

To the OP, have you considered a lightweight .38 snubby like a S&W 642 or a Ruger LCR? They are both great guns and work great in the pocket.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanJim View Post
    If someone is shooting at you from 100 feet away and you don't have any cover it is perfectly reasonable to shoot back.
    If somebody's shooting at me from 100' away, I'm getting my keister outta there.

The law won't be on your side if you had the opportunity to escape and didn't take it.
    Billb1960 likes this.

P938 is only 1/2" longer and the same height as a P238. It's a no brainer to me. Just fyi. I had an LCP and sold it a few weeks later. I hated it.

Pictured-the two bottom guns are VERY small 9mm's. Sig P938 and Kimber Solo CDP.

Get the Solo. Perfect size, 9mm, sweet trigger, a dream to shoot. You will NOT regret it.
    Just use recommended ammo and you won't have a problem (at least I haven't....not a single misfire so far).
    Kimber Solo 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm
    Kel Tec PF9 9mm, Ruger LCR .38
    Maverick 88 Tactical 12 ga shotgun at bedside
    Lifetime NRA member

jh1

I daily carry a Kahr PM9 but also have a LCP. It is a great stick in your pocket, run to the store gun..easy to hide and mine has been very reliable. I also have the Bodyguard 380 and like it as well, but I am more partial to the LCP. Just a great little gun..

Ruger LCP - will fit in any men's pocket. My usual BUG.

Ruger LCR - will fit in most pockets, but not all. For the ones it does not fit in, a quick tailoring (deepening) of the pocket will fix that. From personal experience, I trust the .38 revolver way more than any 9mm that is small enough to fit in a pocket. My LCR rides in my pocket - my PM9 sits in the safe.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I love my bodyguard, carry in my back pocket, looks just like a wallet in my superfly holster. To me weight is the biggest concern when looking for something to drop in your pocket. I'm like you, the LCP didn't feel as good in my hands as the bodyguard. I like the trigger by the way, very predictable. Great little shooter

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links