Ed Brown Kobra

Ed Brown Kobra

This is a discussion on Ed Brown Kobra within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had the chance to buy one that was all decked out from gun broker, I backed out of the bidding at $2700.00. It was ...

Thread: Ed Brown Kobra

Ed Brown Kobra

I had the chance to buy one that was all decked out from gun broker, I backed out of the bidding at $2700.00. It was a really nice 45 1911 but I did not feel that it was worth 3+k. I Was googling a few things today and stumbled across this fourm and it seemed friendly and very informative after reading a 7 page thread about a .25 cal gun. I decided to join. SO I guess my question is, 1. are the guns worth that much? 2. can anyone describe how it will shoot better then my colt gold trophy, kimbers, or sig's? 3. if so what will it do better or smoother?

Thanks everyone
    Last edited by bluewave; January 14th, 2013 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bluewave View Post
    I had the chance to buy one that was all decked out from gun broker, I backed out of the bidding at $2700.00. It was a really nice 45 1911 but I did not feel that it was worth 3+k. I Was googling a few things today and stumbled across this fourm and it seemed friendly and very informative after reading a 7 page thread about a .25 cal gun. I decided to join. SO I guess my question is, 1. are the guns worth that much? 2. can anyone describe how it will shoot better then my colt gold trophy, kimbers, or sig's? 3. if so what will it do better or smoother?

Thanks everyone
    I have one I bought used a few years ago for about $1800. They list for around $2800 new, so you don't have to pay over 3K. I doubt you'll ever decide that performance is going to justify the price. I bought it because I just loved the way the gun felt in my hand. I wasn't going to buy a collection, so money wasn't really the object for me. It shoots reliably, and better than I can aim. It's a really nice gun that I'm proud of and I enjoy thoroughly.

Value is up to the individual. An ed brown is almost completely built by hand. It's hand fitted slide to frame, hand fitted parts, match grade barrels, and all. It really is a very fine gun. If you handle one vs a lower priced 1911 you will see the difference. The frame to slide fit on most 1911s is not as tight as the custom ones like Ed Brown, Les Baer, Wilson Combat, and Nighthawk Custom. Tighter slide to frame fit and tighter barrel lockup translates to increased accuracy. Probably more accurate than most people can shoot. The feed ramp is also worked over for reliability, the checkering is precisely done and uniform for a good and comfortable grip. The Cobra skin pattern is unique in that when racking the slide back, there is positive grip, when sliding your hand toward the barrel end of the slide it is smooth. Pretty cool actually. The parts are hand fitted and no mim parts are used(metal injection molded). The trigger is hand lapped and precisely set for a cleaner break point with less creep or over travel (sometimes none).

Overall it's just a much higher quality gun that is carefully built by hand. That is why Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, Nighthawk Custom, and Les Baer pistols cost more than the standard Kimber or Springfield. You might not see it immediately, but there is an appreciable difference in quality.

There are other smiths who's work can go for upwards of $5k and take 6months to a year or more to complete.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

I owned a beautiful, two-tone Kobra Carry for about 8 years, and out of all of the semi-customs, and full customs I've owned, in my opinion, it was the best looking.
    I could not shoot it quite as accurate as my full customs, or, my semi-customs (Les Baer & Rock River with 1 1/2" group guaranteee at 50 yards), but, with my tired, old eyes, it came close. And considering it was a commander and my others were full, 5" guns, I was pretty impressed.
    It really depends on what YOU want. Any of the semi-customs, like Ed Brown, Les Baer, Nighthawk, or Wilson, even though aren't as good as a well-built, full custom, are like Ferraris vs Fords, when compared to off the rack, factory guns like Kimber, Springfield, Ruger ect.

Thanks, I ended up buying one it should be here early this week. Im excited, its the most expensive pistol I have ever bought. Close to the most expensive gun! I ended up giving $2060 for the gun shipped to us. Its a kobra carry, stainless steel commander size with, night sites, lowered ejection port. polished feed ramp and ambi safety. it has the redwood grips, I might put a wilson combat set of grips. I will wait to see on that.

I have had my Kobra Carry for a while now and would echo what others here have said already.
    I also have guns built by Novak's and Wilson, and think the quality of my Brown is the best of what i have used, though I shoot better with the Wilsons, one in particular.

I am confident enough in the Brown where I carry it more than the others. The only pistol I carry more often is my HK P7. That said, I carry the Kobra far more in the summer months when I sweat more due to the stainless build.

I am using some slim G-10 grips from Harrison Custom on mine. Harrison Design & Consulting, LLC

I bought my Kobra Carry used from a LGS. I got a decent deal on it for instant satisfaction (well, after the 48 hr wait in Wi) and I bought it on my 45th birthday.

If I were ordering up exactly what I want, it would be an Executive Carry, as I prefer checkering to the snake skin, but I am very happy with the gun I got for what I paid.
    NRA Life Member

That's a good price. Let us know how it functions and the obligatory pictures too. Enjoy!
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    Loved the look of the snakeskin finish and the modified butt for less printing. I wonder why the Youtube video has so many thumbs down? Or should i even ask when it comes to people on YT lol

Too rich for my blood, anyway. I can buy a lot of plastic pistols and rifles for that amount.

Forgot to mention...the magazines that come with it are not generally considered among the most reliable brands. You should try to invest in some from Wilson Combat, Tripp Research Cobra Mags, Novak Mags, and I've heard good things about checkmate industries mags. If you can find them anyhow.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Links