How much is weight a factor in what you CC?

This is a discussion on How much is weight a factor in what you CC? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was watching a Nutnfancy gun review and he was talking about concealed carry and mentioned that 20something onces is kind of the cutoff point ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: How much is weight a factor in what you CC?

I was watching a Nutnfancy gun review and he was talking about concealed carry and mentioned that 20something onces is kind of the cutoff point where people start leaving the guns at home and advocated lightweight weapons as the choice for carry since they will be more likely to actually be carried at all times.

Now while I agree that a mousegun in the pocket is better than a Howitzer left at home, I curious as what y'all think on the weight of a carry gun and what your cut off point for weight is. And if you do carry a heavier gun how you accomidate the extra weight.

I'm currently EDCing a P3at and hardly even know its there but I would like to get small framed revolver for carry one of these days, but I'm a little concerned about the weight issue.

(Just a side note, I'd really like to get an Sp101 for carry but I'm a little hesitant due to weight. Just wanted to know some of your thoughts how how weight factors in (if it does at all) to what you carry and how)

I am probably going to run against the grain here, but I find the heavier the gun the harder it is for me to carry. And as a result, I tend to favor a light weight carry piece.

I have read so many posts here about weight not being a factor if you have the right rig, and don't doubt it. I probably need to try some more options and will follow advice I have found in my quest for what works best for me for EDC. For now though, it's usually an LCP or a 642.

VIP Member
    My normal EDC is a SA Micro-Compact 1911, 31 oz, but carried in a Wild Bill’s Concealment Covert Carry holster an a belt by the same manufacturer I carry all day with no discomfort.

IMG_0576.JPG P1010187.jpg
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member
    my current edc weighs 1 pound.
    my former edc weighs 2 pounds.
    both were carried every day, but there's a reason that one is current and one is former... about a pound.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

No bearing for me. 1911, SIG 220, those are big guns, not light, and I carry either all the time.

Kind of a hard nosed answer, but if the gun you shoot well is too heavy, grow stronger.

Re: How much is weight a factor in what you CC?

Weight is not a factor with me, as my ability to conceal due to size always taps out first. Still waiting for an all-steel .45 nearly the size of a p3at.

It's interesting: everybody's a little different. For me, it's less about weight than it is about bulk. I (5 ft 11 in, 220 lbs) carry my HK .45 (1.78lbs) more comfortably than my USPc 9 (1.6lbs) because of the blocky nature of the USP and the slimmer (except for the safety lever) lines of the .45. I carry IWB so with an adequate belt, I don't notice the difference in weight at all.

Now, I'm currently shopping for a BUG to pocket carry. This is where I'll be concerned about how much it weighs and how much my pocket sags.

Best wishes, be safe and have fun!

VIP Member
    Grip length is the limiting factor for me. The second most limiting factor is the grip material. Sticky rubber or checkered wood tends to grab the shirt.

Width and weight no big deal, as I frequently carry a G30 (33.86 oz loaded).

Width more than weight though I often carry double stack 40 pt 840 as well as a pt 945. The 45 being 8 rounds and slimmer but no lighter since its stainless.

My EDC in the states is my P229....some folks think that is too big to carry concealed...I'm 5'7", 190...and carry comfortably.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I don't worry about what my gun weights - I worry about taking on any extra weight in lead from someone else's gun.

I match my carry to what I'm wearing and to the threat level I may encounter. I work in low income housing management so can encounter violent situations at work. I usually carry a Taurus PT145 (.45 - heavy) and an LC9 or LCP (both light) for backup. The Taurus is the smallest 11 round .45 I know of, but it's a handful to shoot and accurate to about 30 feet. If I am serving eviction papers or involved in other confrontational situations I swap out to an HK45 (also 11 rounds).

I am however considering switching to carrying all 9mm, we've had some ongoing gang problems at one property and I'm concerned about multiple attackers.

LC9 for backup
    SR9c for primary (18 round)
    Beretta 92FS with a 20 round mag for offense

Maybe an AR in the car with a 100 round drum... ;)

The weight isn't a deciding factor for me. I carry what I can conceal and try to be "well armed". Used to be a full size all steel 1911 - now it's a full size Glock. The Glock is much lighter - probably a pound. I don't weigh my guns.

Austin

Weight and width were a factor to me. My new EDC had to be light enough and easily enough to conceal in what I wear everyday. I switched to a .40 S&W shield and found it's a little heavier than what i was aiming for, but I love it and the stopping power.

Administrator
    I have always been amazed at how many members on this forum carry concealed IWB rather than OWB...especially when they are able to dress casually and with an untucked shirt.
    With a good stiff gun belt and a high quality well designed holster carrying a full size full weight 1911 is not a problem at all.

I carry both iwb and owb with my 1911 no problems, with my owb my barrel poke out from under my shirt if i bend over but i'm not worried
    “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!” Luke 22:36 (NLT)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links