3D Printing

This is a discussion on 3D Printing within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A short time ago, there was a thread on printing a gun with the new "3D Printing" tech that's coming out. There was even a ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By livewire
  • 1 Post By Lotus222

Thread: 3D Printing

3D Printing

A short time ago, there was a thread on printing a gun with the new "3D Printing" tech that's coming out. There was even a CSI NY episode that completely misrepresented the tech (of course) not long after. But, I bring you:

3D Printing Magazines:
    3D Printable Ammo Clip Skirts New Proposed Gun Laws - Slashdot
    "Over the past weekend, Defense Distributed successfully 3D-printed and tested a magazine for an AR semi-automatic rifle, loading and firing 86 rounds from the 30-round clip. That homemade chunk of curved plastic holds special significance: Between 1994 and 2004, so-called 'high capacity magazines' capable of holding more than 10 bullets were banned from sale. And a new gun control bill proposed by California Senator Dianne Feinstein in the wake of recent shootings would ban those larger ammo clips again. President Obama has also voiced support for the magazine restrictions. Defense Distributed says it hopes to preempt any high capacity magazine ban by showing how impossible it has become to prevent the creation of a simple spring-loaded box in the age of cheap 3D printing. It's posted the 3D-printable magazine blueprints on its website, Defcad.org, and gun enthusiasts have already downloaded files related to the ammo holders more than 2,200 times."
    In spite of the horrid misuse of the word "clip", I was pretty fascinated by this. Unlike gun barrels, simple plastic and a spring is sufficient to make a working magazine.

Last edited by livewire; January 15th, 2013 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Added the image of the magazine in question
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

2. Remove Ads

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I know a guy on Arfcom Printed a AR Lower and it worked with 5.56. Pretty cool stuff almost makes you want to go out and purchase a 3-D printer.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    I know a guy on Arfcom Printed a AR Lower and it worked with 5.56. Pretty cool stuff almost makes you want to go out and purchase a 3-D printer.
    Hopefully they don't print that "shoulder thing that goes up"

AngryBadger417 likes this.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

3D printers are awesome, and will be a big deal down the road. Unfortunately, for the price, I think you are currently better off getting a CNC machine to make metal parts.
    DontTreadOnI likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    3D printers are awesome, and will be a big deal down the road. Unfortunately, for the price, I think you are currently better off getting a CNC machine to make metal parts.
    Maybe right now, but demand is the mother of cheap. Give it a few years and most "stuff" regulation will be obsolete.

-- John F. Kennedy

I am actually going to print one off today. I need to find springs still though. I can post pics later.

We have one at work & it's awesome! We use to make project parts if you know what I mean. I'll not say what but when it's working right it goes to the cnc.
    G17,G19C,G21,G22c,G22RTF2/Gills,G26,G31,G32
    Colt Python 6'' .357mag & 4'' Trooper

NRA Pistol Instructor
    SC CWP Instructor

I'm looking into buying or making a 3D printer. I've already made a cnc router that I made, so I could probably convert it without much trouble.

Heres a lower that didn't survive 6 rounds of 223

DailyTech - 3D Printed Gun Fails after Six Shots
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I do not have a 3D printer but that is pretty neat. Especially with the recent magazine shortage... Luckily I already have more magazines than I need lol.
    DEFCAD
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Si vis pacem, para bellum

DDD stock mentioned in the August 30th thread is up 50% since it was mentioned on Nov 13th. Looking back, I think I'd rather owned that than either a 3D printer or a CNC machine. Could buy a lot of magazines or lowers, of course once they were gone one couldn't make another...
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

3D printer's are already down in price a lot from a year or so ago, and your average "home consumer/tinkerer" models are more than large enough for 30 round AR mags and the like. You can get them for under $3000 these days as well. Obviously still expensive compared to the cost of a normal 30-rounder, but in the event of a post-high cap world? Might be worth it to some.

3d printing is a whole new field of manufacturing. Discussed above is fused deposition modeling using low melting point plastics. This is not the only form of 3d printing, others include metal laser sintering (selective or direct), powder bed and inkjet head, sterolithography and laminated object manufacturing, to name a few.

The mechanic properties of current fused deposition modeled objects are not impressive, owing to gaps in the object and the relative softness of the plastics used. A larger problem is the large margins of the cheap MakerBots and open source RepRap. A tenth of a millimeter is about as close as you can get on the z axis. While quite affordable, well under a grand with shipping, they are not of much use for serious manufacturing at the time being. However, they are improving rapidly.

Similar machines that sell for several grand can provide the resolution needed for firearms, while machines costing tens of thousands of dollars could produce metallic components. If you want to devote a few days to the printing, you could print everything from muzzle to butt using a DMLS machine and a plastic printer of your choice.

Anyway, none of this is really obscure, so Congressional aids have probably heard about it by now.
    "If you are scared you die every day. If you are not scared, you die only once." -Giovanni Falcone

VIP Member
    Right now I still don't see the need for a lower. As long as 80% lowers aren't considered guns and are unserialized hunks of metal all you need is about $80 and a drill press and you've got a lower. But the ability to do magazines had never entered my mind. A former coworker of mine has a 3D printer so I'm thinking we'll be spending some time this weekend trying to make a magazine or 10.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Links